OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another Newbie Trying To Install Openbsd, Another Newbie seeking help with OpenBSD
aeazocar
post Jun 25 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,791

Hello to all,

I am gathering everything to install OpenBSD in my Sl-C3200; but I need to admit that the more I read the more I get confused.
I hope some of you will find the time and patience to help me.

After reading as many post as I have been able to follow (jpmatrix, mathemajikian, zdevil and others - this are the names I remember rolleyes.gif ), I have done the following.

.-Have www.planetofidiots.com/zaurus guide.
.-Electronic copy of Absolute OpenBSD.
.-A plethora of links.
.-Plenty of questions...
.-TRISOFT recovery files

Questions:
1) I have currently installed / running cacko 1.23 full, what will be the procedure to dual boot with cacko?
I found a guide from mathemajikian to actually accomplish the opposite.

2) What is the difference of installing OpenBSD regularly and 4.1 snapshot?
About this I did print both guide in how to installed OpenBSD and OpenBSD snapshot and they are practically the same.

3) If the prefer method is via the snapshot, please help me to find / guide in the installation procedure.

4) I have a good network connections at a time right now, can the full installation be done using either a CF card or USB thumb drive?

P.S. I am aware that all the questions are very basic, but I am willing to try biggrin.gif!
I will be reading my Absolute OpenBSD book in the mean time.

Regards.
Alejandro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jpmatrix
post Jun 26 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,477

QUOTE(aeazocar @ Jun 25 2007, 10:25 PM)
2) What is the difference of installing OpenBSD regularly and 4.1 snapshot?
About this I did print both guide in how to installed OpenBSD and OpenBSD snapshot and they are practically the same.

3) If the prefer method is via the snapshot, please help me to find / guide in the installation procedure.

4) I have a good network connections at a time right now, can the full installation be done using either a CF card or USB thumb drive?

for question 1, i'll let the others ( © Lost ) answer as i haven't installed cacko.

for 2), i think you should try the snapshot method as some things has been fixed in it, like sdcard reading smile.gif in snapshot contains the latest openbsd team developpement

for 3) the install method are the same

for 4) i'd prefer the CF card ; in fact as my cf card is msdos formatted, i've to start the install process, then go to shell, copy the whole files to the openbsd formatted partition then quit shell to continue the install process...i had to do this because on openbsd could not find the files on my msdos cf card because of uppercase filenames...but apparently i'm the only one who had to do that trick smile.gif
anyway CF card is better

hope this helps!

ps: for your information, i've let openbsd and gone back to pdaxii13, as i find openbsd not mature enough for now talking about bluetooth dialup networking
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 04:59 PM