IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How Do I Find My Ip Address?
Capn_Fish
post Jun 29 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,575

I know ifconfig will show my intranet IP address, but how do I find my internet IP address? I'm wondering about this for SSHing into my desktop from my Z (and vice versa) across the internet.

Probably a simple question, but I really have no idea how to do it.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pelrun
post Jun 29 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,488

If your machine is on a private IP segment (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) then there's a NAT gateway/firewall between your machine and the internet proper and you can't directly SSH in from outside. You have to configure an explicit port redirection on the gateway machine/router to do it.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jun 29 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(pelrun @ Jun 30 2007, 03:44 AM)
If your machine is on a private IP segment (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) then there's a NAT gateway/firewall between your machine and the internet proper and you can't directly SSH in from outside. You have to configure an explicit port redirection on the gateway machine/router to do it.

Maybe use dyndns and redirect ssh over a more common http (or something port)? That would simplify getting into your Z from different networking environments, especially those where you can't eaily do the port redirection on the NAT, wouldn't it?
You'd probably want to be running a firewall on the Z and of course edit yuor hostname and sshd.conf, right? Or had you already considered this option?

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2014 - 08:05 AM