Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serial Devices
ME-tan
post Aug 9 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,737

Greetings,

I am intending to experiment with serial on the SL5500. I read the thread on creating the serial console cable but have also seen people connecting serual devices such as GPS units straight in. I am guessing that the console cable has some kind of null modem that is not required for connecting other serial devices. I am wondering if I made up a lead with the sharp connector on one end and a male 9 pin D on the other, and wire up to match pins using the zaurus pinout PDF, whether I could plug normal serial devices such as GPS, modems, GPRS phones and other things that speak rs-232 without requiring additional circuitry. Could someone please clarify?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
omega
post Aug 9 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,825

Hi,

AFAIK, the port circuitry is the same as the cxx0 series... They are LVTTL (0-3.3V) signal levels... You will need a max3232 IC level convertor or similar to communicate with standard RS232 devices and not to fry your Z. There are circuits around on the forum / wiki I think as well....

Good luck! It's definitely doable from personal experience.

+Quote Post
ME-tan
post Aug 9 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,737

QUOTE(omega @ Aug 9 2007, 02:50 PM)
Hi,

AFAIK, the port circuitry is the same as the cxx0 series... They are LVTTL (0-3.3V) signal levels... You will need a max3232 IC level convertor or similar to communicate with standard RS232 devices and not to fry your Z. There are circuits around on the forum / wiki I think as well....

Good luck! It's definitely doable from personal experience.

OK I have a serial cable for my 6310i coming in the post now, i'll see what I can do with that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 07:10 AM