OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dualbooting Pdaxii & Openbsd, It (kinda) works!
portalgod
post Aug 25 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,923

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Aug 21 2007, 06:09 AM)
No, the CF runs very well.  I think one very nice feature of OpenBSD is that it consistently does filesystem checking after rebooting as a result of hanging/freezing (which does not happen often), which may help protecting the card itself.

And of course speedwise and powerwise, the CF beats the original MD hands down.

There is a recent thread discussing wearing of cards: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23959

Have fun!

Just a quick question : Why would I want to dual book pdaxii adn openbsd? smile.gif What value added is it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Civil
post Aug 26 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,924

I can probably do it for r198, but that's not what you want, is it? Does this even work on r198?

OpenBSD requires that linux have some kernel modules, wich doesn't avalible in kernel 2.6

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Aug 30 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(portalgod @ Aug 25 2007, 08:52 PM)
Just a quick question  : Why would I want to dual book pdaxii adn openbsd?  smile.gif  What value added is it?

Simple: just not to waste the NAND flash area.
Honestly, pdaXrom does run faster, but I feel safer and more secure with openbsd.
And I've grown so tired of running the cottage-industry-way of packaging and building (a dependency and patching hell).
Look at my feed(s) and see how >200 working packages (and it keeps growing every day...) have been built on board in a week. It's no rocket science; everyone can do that easily .
For now the only tradeoffs are: SD write support (this is important!), bluetooth RFCOMM (i use wifi only), xrandr (though I feel perfectly comfortable with landscape mode only -- just because recently I've got a 6-inch screen e-ink book reader for RSS news and books and documents smile.gif )

+Quote Post
apink
post Aug 31 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,764

You say that openbsd is on your cf card with pdax on nand. Is there a reason that this can only happen on 3x00 machines and not the c1000?

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Aug 31 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #20

Precisely. The whole system takes much more space than the 128MB NAND flash.
That's the main reason why I swapped the original microdrive with a fast CF (a 4gb and even 8gb card is darn cheap now wink.gif ) to make things run as smoothly as on NAND (speed, power consumption, no startup spinning, etc). smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Aug 31 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #21

Just wanna add:
The default installation of OpenBSD gives you everything: the base system, X (xorg 7.2), a complete toolchain, and a complete man page set.

So perhaps one possibilitiy is to split up the files and put them in different partitions on different media (NAND & SD, for example). I guess this is possible, because the distribution set comes as several standalone package tarballs (you can take a look at the download locations of obsd).
The biggest trouble is up to now OpenBSD has no SD write support (a big pity, truly). But it is hoped that the final 4.2 will get SD write support, and then i am quite sure many seasoned hackers here will come up with the workarounds.

+Quote Post
DaemonsGR
post Sep 4 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,801

I think that after some months in the dust Ill try to make this setup smile.gif looks cool!
Thnx

Tasos

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 01:24 PM