Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Debian On C3xxx (merged Topics), ... & the state of the art
ArchiMark
post Mar 21 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 208

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 21 2008, 11:14 AM) *
Second reason for asking is whether it's necessary for install or after install condition?
Dun get it. tongue.gif

I just wanted to clarify whether or not you are required to repartition the internal drive if you want to run Debian off of it....

Also, I'd like to have Debian running off of microdrive and not depend upon having SD or CF card inserted in Z...in other words can everything run off of internal drive or does this Debian setup depend upon having a storage card inserted?
Nope.

Not clear....do you mean that you can run off of internal drive only or do you need a card even if you installed Debian to internal drive???

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 21 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #242

OK, when all else fails, start over fresh.....

Got new 512MB SD card....

Redownloaded Titchy files....

Reformatted HD...

Titchy installer works much better now....only issue seems to be with connecting to mirror step....

Have tried it with ethernet card and now I'm trying with WiFi card....

In the console window, I see that it's trying to connect with debian mirrors, does DEBUG wget for each; etch, unstable, testing, etc...

But in installer I just see 0% for progress.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

mark

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Mar 21 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 10,575

Do you get to set your DNS stuff during setup? Setting my DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 seems to help my name resolution.

+Quote Post
Chero
post Mar 22 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #244

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 22 2008, 04:48 AM) *
Do you get to set your DNS stuff during setup? Setting my DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 seems to help my name resolution.

If I remember correctly, there is a way to go to console and manually install packages ?
During my Titchy install I manually installed wireless tools and the needed lib as well as dhcpcd cause I don't have fixed ip-s.
Then I coennected through command line (the installer can't use dhcp), after that the install process was just fine.
I guess I used the netinstall iso to be able to do this. But even then the installer could not use dhcp, using it from command line was fine.

Chero

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 22 2008, 06:46 AM
Post #245

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 21 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, Capn, did that... I got all my network info from a page that I printed out from my DSL Modem/Ethernet/WiFi Router....

The only thing is that there's the IP address (66.245.8.115) shown under the heading Connection Information (DSL modem?). Under that it has the Default Gateway number and the DNS numbers.

Then there's another set of numbers under the heading Local Network (192.168.1.1) and then under that it says DHCP range (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254).

So, I entered the first numbers I listed above....should I use the local network numbers?

Also, is it better to use my Socket ethernet card or use my Ambicom wifi card or makes no difference?

+Quote Post
tux
post Mar 22 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #246

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 22 2008, 02:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 21 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, Capn, did that... I got all my network info from a page that I printed out from my DSL Modem/Ethernet/WiFi Router....

The only thing is that there's the IP address (66.245.8.115) shown under the heading Connection Information (DSL modem?). Under that it has the Default Gateway number and the DNS numbers.

Then there's another set of numbers under the heading Local Network (192.168.1.1) and then under that it says DHCP range (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254).

So, I entered the first numbers I listed above....should I use the local network numbers?

Also, is it better to use my Socket ethernet card or use my Ambicom wifi card or makes no difference?

cool.gif In answer to one of your previous questions: you only need the SD card and files for the install until you have completed the steps on the TitchyLinux site.

As regards the networking: I have installed using my socket ethernet card, my usb ethernet stick and with my wifi cards. All worked satisfactorily. However, I think it is better to install using Wifi because I use wifi more than the other options in day to day use. So installing with wifi left my networking set up for daily use without having to do much editing of config files.

With regard to the requested/needed IPaddress during installation: You need to pick an unused address from the 192.168.1.2 ... 192.168.1.254 range. Then you only need to worry about correct typing of your WEP key. You don't need to worry about setting up DNS, the default settings should just work.

Tips: one of the first things I do before trying to get the gui going is to install dh3client and openssh-server. Later on I edit the ifaces file so that the Z can use dhcp. The openssh-server is very useful for logging in to a terminal session on the Z. If, as you will, your gui system plays upit is much easier to sort the problems from SSH. Trust me on this!!!

You should also set the date and time and use hwclock to set the hardware clock at an early stage. Otherwise you will be frustrated and annoyed by having to change your password at login time: this makes the gui unusable. biggrin.gif

This thread answers most of the problems of installing TitchyLinux. If you read my posts in it I think you'll find every possible mistake it is possible to make!

Have a good time with your new Z and the Titcylinux variant of Debian. Stay well away from the armel/Eabi version untilyou are fluent in the Titchy/Oabi version that you are trying. You'll see from my sig that I have retreated back to TitchyLinux. rolleyes.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 22 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #247

QUOTE(Chero @ Mar 22 2008, 01:00 AM) *
If I remember correctly, there is a way to go to console and manually install packages ?
During my Titchy install I manually installed wireless tools and the needed lib as well as dhcpcd cause I don't have fixed ip-s.
Then I coennected through command line (the installer can't use dhcp), after that the install process was just fine.
I guess I used the netinstall iso to be able to do this. But even then the installer could not use dhcp, using it from command line was fine.

Chero

Yes, Chero, you can get to console (alt + right arrow keys)....

Trying again now, using some of the Local Network numbers in my previous post along with others from the Connection Info section...

Yep, that did it!!!!!!

Downloaded files now on my Z from mirror!

Install completed OK, rebooted....

But no having problem logging in....

I type in login name and then password. but then it says I have to change password and asks for my (current) UNIX password. What do I use for that?

Have tried different passwords, but each time get failure message....

Any suggestions????

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 22 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #248

QUOTE(tux @ Mar 22 2008, 08:56 AM) *
cool.gif In answer to one of your previous questions: you only need the SD card and files for the install until you have completed the steps on the TitchyLinux site.

As regards the networking: I have installed using my socket ethernet card, my usb ethernet stick and with my wifi cards. All worked satisfactorily. However, I think it is better to install using Wifi because I use wifi more than the other options in day to day use. So installing with wifi left my networking set up for daily use without having to do much editing of config files.

With regard to the requested/needed IPaddress during installation: You need to pick an unused address from the 192.168.1.2 ... 192.168.1.254 range. Then you only need to worry about correct typing of your WEP key. You don't need to worry about setting up DNS, the default settings should just work.

Tips: one of the first things I do before trying to get the gui going is to install dh3client and openssh-server. Later on I edit the ifaces file so that the Z can use dhcp. The openssh-server is very useful for logging in to a terminal session on the Z. If, as you will, your gui system plays upit is much easier to sort the problems from SSH. Trust me on this!!!

You should also set the date and time and use hwclock to set the hardware clock at an early stage. Otherwise you will be frustrated and annoyed by having to change your password at login time: this makes the gui unusable. biggrin.gif

This thread answers most of the problems of installing TitchyLinux. If you read my posts in it I think you'll find every possible mistake it is possible to make!

Have a good time with your new Z and the Titcylinux variant of Debian. Stay well away from the armel/Eabi version untilyou are fluent in the Titchy/Oabi version that you are trying. You'll see from my sig that I have retreated back to TitchyLinux. rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Wow, thanks for your input, tux. This is great, just wish I had read it before my post a minute ago....

Now, I have login problem you refer to....how can I fix that now???

UPDATE: Managed to finally login!!!

But now, having problem getting wifi card running again...did the steps that Titchy instructions have for doing this but so far no go....in ifconfig -a, just see lo, not eth0, etc....

Any suggestions as to getting wifi card running OK again???

UPDATE 2: Got wifi card running again and have just downloaded files to setup desktop...it's unpacking them know....

**** UPDATE 3 ****

Having problems with XDM and login....have tried and tried., but no go...help!

*** UPDATE 4 ****

Finally got logged in and to Titchy Desktop! WooHoo!!!!!!

Hmm.. .found this page should help....

OESF Thread

Thanks,

Mark

This post has been edited by ArchiMark: Mar 22 2008, 04:15 PM

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Mar 23 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #249

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

Hi,
please can anyone give a quick summary of the state of the art of Debian on the C3x00 devices?

What kernel version, what browser(s), what email clients are working, whether it supports hostap on prism, usb master & slave, bluetooth features, and if suspend/resume work reliably?!

I'm looking for a new distro now I've had a play with Android and not sure about returning to Angstrom; so I'd like to consider dual-booting Cacko with Debian.

thanks very much
Paul

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 23 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #250

Member No.: 2,882

Current state: 2 flavors: OABI (arm) and EABI (armel)
Both work. The OABI version suffers a bit from slower speed, and sound output is an issue. The EABI version runs faster and is the way to go (debian official support is now migrating from arm to armel). Video playback on the Z has yet to be solved, but it is a kernel issue (like bvdd support is lacking in the current 2.6.xx kernels).

Kernel choices: yonggun, angstrom, poky. All reported to be working!

General remark on running debian on the Z (C3x00): Runs just great on the internal disk. Full repos and documentations, and standard official support & development: priceless.

Good browsers: dillo-18n, icehamster (mod minimo), kazekahaze, epiphany. (Iceweasel is still underway)

Email clients: Sylpheed (& friends) and Thunderbird should be the best. Evolution installs and runs, but too much (size, speed, and also display size).

Hostap: the default driver

USB: host -- works great (boosting power output needs a tweak); client -- not tested yet (I use wifi all the time)

Bluetooth: will test soon (just got both a Socket bluetooth CF and a super mini USB bluetooth dongle). There are reports of success here.

Suspend/resume: just works. Suspend takes ~2 seconds, resume ~ 1 sec. not bad.

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Mar 23 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I'm looking for a new distro now I've had a play with Android and not sure about returning to Angstrom; so I'd like to consider dual-booting Cacko with Debian.

Same here. Really looking forward to new yonggun kernels support booting from /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4! tongue.gif Then I will revert the NAND space back to full Cacko and dualboot with kexec.

Perhaps you may try to install an EABI rootfs on a SD and see how it fares. It's a bit slower than running on a fast CF but it's still big fun.

+Quote Post
2or0
post Mar 23 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 3,590

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 23 2008, 11:31 AM) *
Video playback on the Z has yet to be solved, but it is a kernel issue (like bvdd support is lacking in the current 2.6.xx kernels).

I think pxa overlay in 2.6.x kernel functions as bvdd in 2.4.xx kernel. Am I wrong?

I found a link: http://projects.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/an...rch/001625.html
"No - the pxa driver does the same as the bvdd driver - *ALL* the bvdd driver
did was let you change the hardware resolution (ie get hardware 240x320), and
make use of the YV12 overlay.

-vo pxa -vm will do *both* these things."

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Mar 23 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #252

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

thanks very much for that update... gonna be busy doing tax return for the Inland Robbery for a few days and then I'll give Debian a go.

+Quote Post
jocasmi
post Mar 23 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #253

Member No.: 13,088

Some more questions:

Which Windows Managers are useful?

Is there any app for handwriting?

What about pim? (Which one and) How do they work?

It's possible to install Debian Eabi, on a SD or internal Microdrive, from the regular Sharp Rom on 3200?

Anybody knows How is the Debian performance compared to the OpenBSD Zaurus distribution?

Thanks in advance!

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 25 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #254

Member No.: 2,882

Hard to tell... because what you are asking is basically question about apps in Debian.
WM: Any lightweight WM will run just fine. I am so used to IceWM and now customizing it with Meanie's scripts and wallpaper rotation solution.
PIM: Quite a few to choose from, all depending on your needs. I've switched from Planner mode to Org-mode in emacs (cvs). Works great. Truly platform independent and form free. Here are some options (from simple to heavy): calcurse, gpe-pim, ejourn (in the custom feed/post), jpilot, gnome-pilot, emacs (planner, org), kdepim, planner, etc. There are also quite a few outliners for all purposes, like tuxcards, notecase, zim, etc.
Handwriting: there is a program called "cellwriter" (for handwriting recognition). Haven't tried yet. For quick notetaking using the stylus, xournal is a very nice choice.
Dualbooting Cacko/Sharp rom & Debian: that's *possible* with the right kernel the can boot off /dev/hda3 or /dev/hda4 (i am also looking forward to this!)
Compared to OpenBSD: both are standard and complete full-blown distros with official support. OpenBSD is generally slower, but is still rock solid and very good for networking and security work. It will become very interesting if OpenBSD/Zaurus has full SD write support. We can then exploit the potential of the Z to its fullest extent by running Cacko (on NAND), Debian (on internal disk) and OpenBSD (on SD)!

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 27 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #255

Got Titchy running OK overall on my 3200 now...

Updated last night to Lenny....overall seems to be working OK....

However, I have one issue that's a carryover from Etch and one new issue in Lenny that I hope someone can please help with....

1) In terminal when I install something with apt-get, I get the locale error message:

CODE
per: warning: Setting locale failed. Please check your locale settings.
Falling back to standard locale ("C").
Can't set LC_ALL to default locale
Language = unset
LC_ALL = unset

How to fix this? I did select locale (English) during original install with Etch...

2) Apt-get was working OK after upgrade to Lenny and installed one or two apps, but now when I try it, I get error messages:

CODE

Setting up dpkg (1.14.16.6)....
chown: changing ownership of `!\3535': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing dpkg (--configure):
Subprocess post-installation script return error exit status 1
Errors encountered while processing dpkg
E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

Any suggestions about this error???

Thanks!

Mark

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2014 - 08:52 PM