Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Antispam Enhancements
Meyer
post Oct 20 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,010

I am in the process of implementing the antispam enhancements discussed in the wiki article http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=OESF:A...#The_Robot_Wars. Work details and progress posted on http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=OESF:A...ation_work_list. I apologize in advance for any distruptions that might occur. Please contact me here with any problems you have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
koan
post Oct 20 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,025

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Oct 24 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #3

The captcha extension is now in operation. You will need to answer a simple math problem to edit or create pages or to register a new wiki user.

+Quote Post
tux
post Oct 24 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(Meyer @ Oct 24 2007, 02:08 PM) *
The captcha extension is now in operation. You will need to answer a simple math problem to edit or create pages or to register a new wiki user.

cool.gif I think David deserves congratulations on putting these first steps in place to improving the spambot defenses! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dz
post Oct 24 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #5

~

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,667

QUOTE(tux @ Oct 24 2007, 01:24 PM) *
QUOTE(Meyer @ Oct 24 2007, 02:08 PM) *

cool.gif I think David deserves congratulations on putting these first steps in place to improving the spambot defenses! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks to the both of you for taking this initiative. Sorry I couldn't help you, but it seems you have everything under control so it's all good smile.gif

+Quote Post
tux
post Oct 26 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #6

cool.gif Just an update: extensions went in on Wednesday 24th October. Up to the minute, 2:30 pm Friday 26th BST, not one item of spam has come across the radar! Long may it continue! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dz
post Oct 26 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #7

~

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,667

QUOTE(tux @ Oct 26 2007, 08:28 AM) *
cool.gif Just an update: extensions went in on Wednesday 24th October. Up to the minute, 2:30 pm Friday 26th BST, not one item of spam has come across the radar! Long may it continue! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ya, I haven't seen any spam in the forum either. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Oct 27 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #8

Wiki may be intermittently unavailable as I trace problem with Bad Behavior extension.

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Oct 27 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Bad Behavior extension and the Bad Behavior 2 Extended report special page are installed and seem to be working.

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Oct 28 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #10

It seems the anti-spam measures have left the wiki eerily quiet. The admin-only report generate by Bad Behavior shows a large number of wiki requests being rejected. Well and good if that's all spam.

However, if you get a legitimate request blocked, please report it here and we will try to tune.

+Quote Post
koan
post Oct 29 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,025

Hi Meyer,

Cracking work, well done.

Some of us are still editing pages...

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Oct 29 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #12

SpamBlacklist wiki extension has been installed and appears to be functioning. This extension checks URIs included in edits and blocks the edit if any URI match an entry in a list of forbidden words.

This extension is the last of the planned anti-spam measures. If no problems crop up, this will be the last functional change to the wiki until further notice.

+Quote Post
tux
post Nov 19 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #13

cool.gif I hope that fate is not tempted by this post!

The anti-spam measures went into operation on October the 24th, if my memory serves me correctly. Today is the 19th of November. There hasn't been a successful spam attack at the Wiki in that time. I suppose that we are still vulnerable to a 'live' spammer but that should be easy to spot, delete and block. biggrin.gif

Congratulations again Meyer: let's hope that you can return to productive work on the Wiki and to the tinkering with your 860s! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Meyer
post Nov 20 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #14

I can't take any credit, but am glad the wiki extensions are working as advertised. It's good to see nothing but improvements on the Recent Changes page.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 05:44 AM