OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Installed Ubuntu On Desktop, Slow As Molasses In January, Pentium III, 600 MHZ, 512 MB RAM
Jon_J
post Oct 30 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,821

This desktop has these specs: Pentium III, 600 MHZ, 512 MB RAM, 20GB HDD, onboard video (sis chip)
Windows 98SE is pretty fast on this computer, so I installed ubuntu 5.10 onto it and the entire install took about 4 hours (huh?)
I've installed a fresh copy of windows on this machine in about an hour in the past.
Ubuntu installed a dualboot scheme, I don't remember the name now, it wasn't lilo. (OK, now I remember, it was Grub).
I had to search the ubuntu forums to get my serial mouse working, (the PS/2 port is bad).
When I finally got to the desktop with a working mouse, it was as slow as molasses.
It took 10 seconds just to open a help window and a file browser window took about as long.
(And I thought some Zaurus apps were slow).
Last year I was going to try Debian, but got lost in the confusing amount of CD-ROMs required to be downloaded and gave that up.
I'm thinking of installing damn small linux on that box, but I thought I would ask here:
What is a good starting linux distro for a beginner that will install on an older PC?
Do all linux distros support cross compiling for the Zaurus? (I would rather muck about on an old desktop, than mess up my Z).

I have since removed it, deleted the extra partitions it set up, and fixed the master boot record, using win XP recovery disc.
It was so slow that it was un usable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
snk4ever
post Oct 31 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,522

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Oct 30 2007, 11:36 PM) *

Why such an old version ?
And it should not be that slow, your configuration should enable you to run Ubuntu in good conditions (not perfect but totally acceptable).
I suggest that you try with a more recent version. Also the speed you're talking about is after you proceeded to the hard drive install, right ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 11:04 PM