Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Debian Eabi With Installer, Fully customized installation - Testers needed
cortez
post Oct 31 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,380

Hi,

I tried to setup the Debian Installer in a way we can do a fully customized install of Debian without the use of the prefab root file system. See attached all files needed. The kernel used is a brand new 2.6.23 Poky kernel. The zaurus-specific package is just a beginning. I'm sure there's stuff missing here and there. The zaurus-specific package includes the corresponding kernel modules and firmware drivers with which you should be able to perform the (wireless) network installation (DHCP is included). The ramdisk.gz file contains the actual Debian Installer. More info on that can be found here.

This version does not require the use of uboot. As said before, although the idea of uboot is great, it can be a real pain to install. More important, if not installed succesfully, it's an even greater pain to get your (seemingly bricked) device back to a working state. It took me quite a while to restore my 3100 after trying the yonggum kernel with uboot.

You can put any additional Debian package files on the SD if you want to use them. After flashing the kernel the updater script will extract any .deb file from the SD to the root of the microdrive. This makes it possible for instance to use a different kernel. Just add the corresponding kernel modules (in a deb package format!) to the SD and it should work.

This version currently only works with the C3x00 models. If this works out to be succesfull and if time permits, I will build a C1000 kernel+package and maybe (depending on the help I get from ZDevil tongue.gif) even a Cxx0 version to test this procedure.

==========
1. Preparation
==========
a. Extract all files from the attached AllInOne.tar archive and put them on SD. Flashing from CF is currently not supported.
b. You can put any optional debian packages (.deb) on the SD. After flashing the kernel all available .deb files on SD will be extracted to the root of the microdrive.

==========
2. Flashing
==========
a. Remove battery, wait 5 secs, place battery and attach AC power.
b. Press "OK" key and keep it pressed, then press "On/Off" button.
c. In the maintenance menu, choose "4" (Update) in the first screen, "2" (SD) in the second and "Y" in the third
d. The kernel will be flashed, the microdrive formatted and the Installer will be setup.

Your Zaurus will reboot and the Installer is started.

==========
3. The installer
==========
a. Choose your language and location
b. Network configuration. Choose the driver of your network card (yes, you need one). DHCP is included in the installer, so hopefully your network settings are automatically configured.
c. Choose the hostname and domain name. It's fine to accept the defaults, since you can always change them later.
d. Partitioning the disk. This is the most tricky bit, since the installer is currently unable to mount the swap partition. Choose for manual partitioning, and create two partitions, the first a big one and the second a smaller one. Make the smaller one about 200/250Mb and assign the rest of the diskspace to the first partition. Make the first partition primary, bootable, set the mount point to / (root) and choose the ext3 filesystem. I choose the option to not format the partition this partition and leave the current filesystem alone. Make the second partition a swap partition, primary, not bootable and don't give it a mount point. Choose the option to not use it (we deal with that later on). The Installer will complain about not having a swap partition, but you can ignore that and continue the installation.
e. The downloading and installation of the base Debian system begins. Be patient, and keep your finger crossed!
f. Ignore the message about not being able to find the right kernel. Just continue
g. At the "software installation" screen choose only to install the base system.

==========
4. Post-Installation
==========
This is work in progress, we need to setup a few extra's. At the time of writing, this still has to be done. Here's were I need your help, since I don't have the time to do this all on my own.

Good luck!

cortez
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AllInOne.tar ( 4.34MB ) Number of downloads: 109

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Oct 31 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,882

Nice. I would really love to try this if you can make a kernel for C860 (or Cxx0). wink.gif
I wonder if: 1) stylus pointer works without jumping; 2) sound works; 3) it is possible to dualboot with this setup?

+Quote Post
dlj0
post Oct 31 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,282

I couldn't see right off the bat, so thought I'd ask. I gather this kernel installs by flashing; without the need to go to uboot. So, what modules are available with this, and how does one go about the rest of the install. In particular, I am interested in the libertas module, which rumor has will support my new Sparklan wifi card with the marvell chip.

+Quote Post
dlj0
post Oct 31 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,282

I keep answering my own questions. No, the libertas module is not there, so I guess I will try with yonggum's kernel.

+Quote Post
bdbell
post Oct 31 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,801

I tried this on my 3100 - and I get the following error;

/tmp/update/updater.sh: 1: Syntax error: ")" expected
error (1)
Rebooting

My Z is currently running Debian OABI - as per ZDevil's guide Q15, and I have updated the kernel to the Pokylinux 2.6.21 kernel. My microdrive (6 gig) is partitioned with ~ 5.5 gig root, 512 swap. Used a 1 gig SD to flash - have used it many times for PDAXii13 flashing with no problems.

+Quote Post
cortez
post Oct 31 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(bdbell @ Nov 1 2007, 07:30 AM) *
I tried this on my 3100 - and I get the following error;

/tmp/update/updater.sh: 1: Syntax error: ")" expected
error (1)
Rebooting

My Z is currently running Debian OABI - as per ZDevil's guide Q15, and I have updated the kernel to the Pokylinux 2.6.21 kernel. My microdrive (6 gig) is partitioned with ~ 5.5 gig root, 512 swap. Used a 1 gig SD to flash - have used it many times for PDAXii13 flashing with no problems.

Syntax error?!? That's really strange. I suppose you just renamed the updater.sh.gz file to updater.sh?
I just checked on my 3100, and it works as expected. Anyone having the same problems?

+Quote Post
cortez
post Nov 1 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Nov 1 2007, 01:32 AM) *
Nice. I would really love to try this if you can make a kernel for C860 (or Cxx0). wink.gif
I wonder if: 1) stylus pointer works without jumping; 2) sound works; 3) it is possible to dualboot with this setup?

I'll update the info in the first post. When time permits I will build a C1000 kernel. This version works without uboot. Although the idea of uboot is great, it can be a real pain to install it. More important, if not installed succesfully, it's an even greater pain to get your (seemingly bricked) device back to a working state. It took my quite a while to restore my 3100 after trying the yonggum kernel with uboot.

Regarding the jumping stylus, sound etc I really don't know. I've not been able to find the time to finish the installation process.

cortez

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Nov 1 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #8

That's cool. Keep up the good work!
And ...... I want a kernel for Cxx0 , not C1000 ... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
cortez
post Nov 1 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Nov 1 2007, 09:25 AM) *
That's cool. Keep up the good work!
And ...... I want a kernel for Cxx0 , not C1000 ... tongue.gif

If you help me test this one first and if it works I promise I'll try to make you a Cxx0 version. Do we have a deal? wink.gif

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Nov 1 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Zeker! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Nov 1 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #11

And if you don't mind, once yours is working, I want to add it to the mega guide for easy reference, instead of having the (new) users digging into the many posts and got confused.
And it would be super nice if you can provide the instructions as well. smile.gif

+Quote Post
cortez
post Nov 1 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #12

First post updated with some additional info:
You can put any additional Debian package files on the SD if you want to use them. After flashing the kernel the updater script will extract any .deb file from the SD to the root of the microdrive. This makes it possible for instance to use a different kernel. Just add the corresponding kernel modules (in a deb package format!) to the SD and it should work.

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Nov 1 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(cortez @ Nov 1 2007, 10:05 AM) *

I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if adding extra packages on top of the rootfs would cause dependency issue (such as libc6, etc). smile.gif

+Quote Post
tux
post Nov 1 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(cortez @ Nov 1 2007, 09:05 AM) *

cool.gif Hi cortez,

I'm giving it a try now!

cool.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
cortez
post Nov 1 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Nov 1 2007, 10:16 AM) *
QUOTE(cortez @ Nov 1 2007, 10:05 AM) *

I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if adding extra packages on top of the rootfs would cause dependency issue (such as libc6, etc). smile.gif

Providing additional packages is meant to be a way of influencing the installer, for instance by adding the libertas driver wink.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 01:55 AM