OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Looking For A Gaming Console, What should I buy ?
Chero
post Nov 17 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,962

Hi,

I'm not much of a gamer and thus I lnow nothing about it.
Now my kids want a gaming console and are asking me for advice cause "I work with computers" (doesn't everybody nowadays ?) and because I have a Zaurus (OK, not everybody has one).

Now, from what I found on the www, I could go for (ps1), ps2, xbox, wii, ... but then they are tied to the tele.
I more like Nintendo DS, PSP, ??? (any other choices ?) cause that way they can also use it in the car or while someone else is watching tele.

I keep on asking google some questions and it gives me loads and loads of pages, but what are the pros and cons of these consoles ?
I already found that Nintendo DS plays GBA-roms. Does PSP do this as well ?
PSP's screen has a higher res, Nintendo's screen seems to be better protected (clamshell).

How about the games and their prices ? From what I see the same games seem to be cheaper for Nintendo DS. Why's that ?

Can a PSP play PS1, PS2, PS3 games ? My three brothers own PS1, PS2 and PS3 so it would be nice to play their games ...

From what I know now, balance is going towards Nintendo DS.
Please comment or answer my questions,

From a complete gaming-noob in search for a gaming device,
Chero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jpmatrix
post Nov 17 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,477

well, i own a psp, so let's try to answer :

PSP or DS, the choice basically depends of what kind of games you're looking for (or your children!)
PSP has much car games (that's the reason i bought it!), and games which are playable with the joystick (fight games, fps games, etc...)
DS has much reflexion & stylus-oriented games, and some says that DS games are much fun to play than PSP games...

people here doesn't seem to know that : since latest firmwares, PSP CAN play some PS1 games ! these games are made available via Sony's web site.

PSP can be used as a movie player (tested in my car with my children!) and as an quick&dirty mp3 player (i used it like that all days in transports!). sound quality is great, although max volume is limited by sony (ear protection they says!)

about battery consumption, i find it correct. and you can use psp charger to charge your zaurus ! you can also charge it via usb cable (but not within usb connector...)

PSP can also serve as a web browser. builtin browser is just correct although some heavy pages cannot be seen because of limited memory device...

about GB emulation, there is not... BUT .... it you .... well ... hack your PSP .... well ... you have then access to so called "homebrew" softwares and then you have GB, GBA, GBC, NES, SNES, and even N64 emulator ! you have also some c64 ou amstrad cpc or zx81 emulators wink.gif

about screen, the first thing to buy is a protection ! and psp is sold with a pouch which i find good to protect it. and if you want you'll find lots of pouches and cases to customize your device smile.gif

about price of games, just buy used games. they are usually out quickly after a game is sold.

voila !
but as i said, choice mainly depends of kind of games you're looking for.

+Quote Post
Chero
post Nov 17 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Nov 17 2007, 07:24 PM) *
well, i own a psp, so let's try to answer :

PSP or DS, the choice basically depends of what kind of games you're looking for (or your children!)
PSP has much car games (that's the reason i bought it!), and games which are playable with the joystick (fight games, fps games, etc...)
DS has much reflexion & stylus-oriented games, and some says that DS games are much fun to play than PSP games...

people here doesn't seem to know that : since latest firmwares, PSP CAN play some PS1 games ! these games are made available via Sony's web site.

PSP can be used as a movie player (tested in my car with my children!) and as an quick&dirty mp3 player (i used it like that all days in transports!). sound quality is great, although max volume is limited by sony (ear protection they says!)

about battery consumption, i find it correct. and you can use psp charger to charge your zaurus ! you can also charge it via usb cable (but not within usb connector...)

PSP can also serve as a web browser. builtin browser is just correct although some heavy pages cannot be seen because of limited memory device...

about GB emulation, there is not... BUT .... it you .... well ... hack your PSP .... well ... you have then access to so called "homebrew" softwares and then you have GB, GBA, GBC, NES, SNES, and even N64 emulator ! you have also some c64 ou amstrad cpc or zx81 emulators wink.gif

about screen, the first thing to buy is a protection ! and psp is sold with a pouch which i find good to protect it. and if you want you'll find lots of pouches and cases to customize your device smile.gif

about price of games, just buy used games. they are usually out quickly after a game is sold.

voila !
but as i said, choice mainly depends of kind of games you're looking for.

Really usefull, thanks.
Great, good old c64 ...
I guess (hope laugh.gif ) he won't go hacking during the first 5 or 6 years.
From the reviews I see on the web, and the videos I saw on youtube, I'd still go for the DS. Seems less agressive for an 8 year old ...

Anyone else ?
Chero.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Chero   Looking For A Gaming Console   Nov 17 2007, 05:44 AM
harvell   I sort of inherited a psp from my sister. I found...   Nov 17 2007, 08:34 AM
Capn_Fish   My impression is that the DS is much more popular,...   Nov 17 2007, 09:27 AM
jpmatrix   well, i own a psp, so let's try to answer : P...   Nov 17 2007, 10:24 AM
Chero   QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Nov 17 2007, 07:24 PM) w...   Nov 17 2007, 10:41 AM
Chero   Thanks for the comments so far ! Keep them com...   Nov 17 2007, 10:33 AM
Capn_Fish   If they like Mario and Pokemon, the DS is the way ...   Nov 17 2007, 11:59 AM
ZDevil   Personally I like the NDS better than PSP. There a...   Nov 17 2007, 12:21 PM
speculatrix   get them an old amiga. seriously. get hold of some...   Nov 17 2007, 02:03 PM
Chero   QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 17 2007, 11:03 PM...   Nov 18 2007, 07:46 AM
Capn_Fish   QUOTE(ZDevil @ Nov 17 2007, 02:21 PM) Per...   Nov 17 2007, 06:01 PM
desertrat   QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 18 2007, 02:01 AM) ...   Nov 18 2007, 05:25 AM
Chero   QUOTE(desertrat @ Nov 18 2007, 02:25 PM) ...   Nov 18 2007, 07:04 AM
Capn_Fish   QUOTE(desertrat @ Nov 18 2007, 07:25 AM) ...   Nov 18 2007, 08:54 AM
Chero   QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 18 2007, 05:54 PM) ...   Nov 18 2007, 09:26 AM
koan   I bought a PSP recently. I do not like supermario ...   Nov 17 2007, 08:16 PM
snk4ever   If you're not going to hack the PSP, then don...   Nov 20 2007, 12:08 AM
Chero   QUOTE(snk4ever @ Nov 20 2007, 09:08 AM) I...   Nov 20 2007, 06:54 AM
bluedevils   My son is 5. He has cousins 8, 10, 16 and 18 and ...   Nov 20 2007, 02:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2014 - 01:34 AM