OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Too Much Flashing?, When is it too much?
fix3r
post Dec 21 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,065

I have flashed my Zaurus about 4 times now trying to figure out how to get my 4gig SDHC card accessable.

The only one I found so far was angstrom which came with no apps and my Ambicom WL1100C was not even found so I had no way of downloading any packages.

So, how many times do you think I should be flashing my Zaurus. Is it bad for it? Should I stop now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
koan
post Dec 21 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,025

When your friends don't call anymore, you haven't shaved for a month and there isn't even enough food in the house to make salad cream and cornflake sandwiches; yes, then that is the time to stop.

As for Flash memory, isn't the specification like 100,000 writes before it starts to go bad? If you flash once every 5 minutes it would take you... a very long time before your Zaurus memory failed. Even then the memory controller might detect the bad area and stop using it, allowing you to continue.

+Quote Post
jpmatrix
post Dec 22 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,477

+1

since i bought it, i flashed my C3000 more than 100 times i think biggrin.gif trying quite every zaurus distros out there wink.gif

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Dec 26 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

reflashing the "rom" (kernel and read-only) areas of the flash memory is going to wear out your on-board memory much more slowly than any of the files in the writable space (/home etc), so I agree with previous posters, you could reflash 100's if not 1000's of times without worry.

@koan - sounds like you have "The Batchelor's Cookbook":
http://blogs.theage.com.au/lifestyle/allme...lor_cuisin.html

p.s. I've probably flashed about 20 times, cacko thrice and angstrom the rest (each time a new kernel variant comes out you do a half install, just the kernel into flash partition)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 12:46 AM