OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hello Zaurus World !, Introducing myself as new first time Zaurus owner today MARCH 19, 2008
espi
post Mar 19 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,423

Just a quick "hello" to the forum.

I have bought my first Zaurus from another forum member today!
I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing the best smallest computing device and settled on the Zaurus SL-C3100!

I really am blown away by all of the amazing work all the developers put in, it's all highly impressive and commendable.
All the contributors to open software are the true pioneers and revolutionaries of today.

Open software and tiny devices like this are the future.

I live in the United States in Baltimore City (most are familiar with as the backdrop of HBO's The Wire and home of delicious crab cakes) and being a fan of small Japanese electronics my entire life I wager that no Zaurus was ever sold here. I am glad to have now learned about it, albeit late, and am equally amazed at the potential of the device and how still it has yet to be matched.

Thank you for your work and I look forward to learning more over time. I will try my damndest to not be an annoying newb and continue to search and learn. ph34r.gif

-espi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jon_J
post Mar 22 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,821

Welcome espi, since you live kinda close to InSearchOf, git over there and kick his butt back into developing pdaXrom! smile.gif (joke - just kidding) smile.gif
I'm still a Linux noob, even after 2 1/2 years of learning Linux on the Zaurus. Below is my opinion:

I have an SL-C3100 that runs Cacko with eviLjazz's kernel. (2.4.20 kernel) I find my best experience surfing the net with Opera on my Cacko Z. smile.gif
I just wish there would have been just a couple more upgrades of Opera for the Zaurus, let's say to 8.0, but no higher.
I have the 9.10 version of Opera on an old desktop PC running Puppy Linux 3.01, but Opera has gotten more bloated in its later versions, although it still loads and runs a lot faster than Firefox or Seamonkey on my Puppy.

My other Zaurus is an SL-C3200, which runs pdaxii13 (a derivative of pdaXrom beta 3) - (2.4.20 kernel). I like it a lot also, and this Zaurus is much closer to a "standard" Linux distro than Sharp/Cacko. Meanie has really done a whole lot of work on pdaxii13 and it really improves upon the pdaXrom experience. smile.gif

I have stayed away from the 2.6 kernel distros for several reasons.
1. pdaXrom 2.6 kernel requires U-Boot. - Just read the U-Boot threads, I won't need to explain why I'm staying away from that...
2. debian, angstrom, android, openbsd, and others, just seem way too complex for me and my limited Linux knowledge to install.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Mar 25 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 22 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Welcome espi, since you live kinda close to InSearchOf, git over there and kick his butt back into developing pdaXrom! smile.gif (joke - just kidding) smile.gif

LOL, That might be what i need :-)

Late

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:30 PM