ShiroiKuma
post Apr 21 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,385

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 21 2008, 09:56 AM) *
I think you want /dev/mmcblk0p2

Doh... smile.gif

For some reason I kept thinking I have to pass two partitions in the default.txt to haret, but it didn't occur to me to try this within linux...

Will test the SMS UTF-8 sending capability shortly...

EDIT 1: The SMS get sent fine now in UTF-8.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Apr 21 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 208

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 10:42 PM) *
Additional issues with X
I've installed X according to http://yonggun.tistory.com/54 and applied the "2. Use your normal user under X" hack on http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=1-For_Debian_EABI

Now, the situation is as follows, if I don't enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, first login as root, then /etc/init.d/xdm start, xdm starts, I can login as a regular use fine and the system works.

If I enable xdm via /etc/init.d/, even if I log in as root or the regular user in the xdm login, X starts, but the display doesn't react to touch. It seems xdm doesn't read the .xinitrc from either /root or /home/theuser when started this way and so TSLIB_TSDEVICE is not set among others.

How to solve this?

Hmmm....very interesting ShiroiKuma!....

As this is what is happening to me on my 3200 per my other thread regarding "XFCE4 with EABI?"

....Unfortunately, I don't have a solution yet....but seems pretty clear that there's something not right with xdm setup as my touchscreen was working OK before I installed xdm.....

Hopefully, either here or on my specific thread this problem will get solved....

Mark

PS. Meanwhile, if all goes well, I should have a HTC Universal to play with tomorrow.....

wink.gif

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Apr 21 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #94

Yeah, something weird is happening, it seems xdm, if it's started automatically, doesn't initialize properly. I've determined for sure for instance that the TSLIB_TSDEVICE variable is not set, so it doesn't read the config as when started after a login. However, even when I declared the variable in a script that starts xdm itself, the display still doesn't respond...

Hopefully, we'll get it. Definitely if you solve it with a 3200 and XFCE, be sure to let this thread know too...

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 22 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 21,231

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 20 2008, 11:33 AM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 20 2008, 03:58 AM) *
Update: The problem with whiptail seems to be that the new VT created by openvt doesn't have UTF8 support. If I change the script to run unicode_start, I get the correct characters in the SMS, but the dialog border is broken. I'm looking into it.

Yeah, noticed the same. However, the reception works fine in terms of the characters being decoded. They are just not displayed in the dialog properly. The characters received are in UTF-8 and fine, I've confirmed by resending back.

I haven't been able to fix the broken dialog border, but the whiptail script now at least displays Unicode.

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Apr 22 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #96

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I haven't been able to fix the broken dialog border, but the whiptail script now at least displays Unicode.

Is this in 0.6? Because mine doesn't have the dialog border broken and it doesn't display Unicode, i.e. it displays the garbled characters, and saves it properly as UTF-8, so then in a UTF-8 capable prog you can view it.

Is this what you mean?

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 22 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #97

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 22 2008, 09:39 AM) *
QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Is this in 0.6? Because mine doesn't have the dialog border broken and it doesn't display Unicode, i.e. it displays the garbled characters, and saves it properly as UTF-8, so then in a UTF-8 capable prog you can view it.

Is this what you mean?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've uploaded a new version of the whiptail script that runs unicode_start before displaying the dialog, so (assuming your console font has the necessary characters) it should display unicode messages.

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Apr 22 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 12:09 PM) *
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've uploaded a new version of the whiptail script that runs unicode_start before displaying the dialog, so (assuming your console font has the necessary characters) it should display unicode messages.

OK, I'll have to search for a good UTF-8 console font, do you know of any?

On another note, can you dial your mailbox? It seems if the number isn't in full international format, it'll just not dial. I.e. I need to call *99 to get into the mailbox, and all I keep getting is something like a busy signal...

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 22 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #99

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 22 2008, 03:34 PM) *
OK, I'll have to search for a good UTF-8 console font, do you know of any?

I'm using a font from the console-terminus package.

On another note, can you dial your mailbox? It seems if the number isn't in full international format, it'll just not dial. I.e. I need to call *99 to get into the mailbox, and all I keep getting is something like a busy signal...

You're right. I've hardcoded a "+" at the beginning of the dialled number. Handling different types of numbers consistently for calls and SMS needs a little thought - I'll try to fix it tonight or tomorrow. For now, you could edit /usr/bin/htcunid to remove the "+" in "ATD+". Alternatively, can you get to your mailbox by dialling your own number?

Update: New version of htcunid. You can now dial national and network-specific numbers. You must now prepend international numbers with "+".

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Apr 22 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #100

Well...received my Universal today....

Just tried installing Debian, per webpage instructions....ran Haret and here's what I get near the end of the displayed text:

CODE
[     2.  420001]  mmcblk0: p1
[     6.  800000] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[     6.  810000] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
[     6.  820000] Freeing init memory: 96k
[     6.  840000] Warning: unable to open initial console.
[     6.  900000] Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

Any suggestions???????

Thanks!

Mark
Who always seems to have problems when installing stuff.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 22 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #101

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:30 AM) *
CODE
[     6.  800000] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[     6.  900000] Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

"Mounting unchecked fs" suggests that the card was removed from the machine you used to install before it had finished writing to it. My first suggestion would be to retry installing the rootfs tarball.

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Apr 23 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #102

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 23 2008, 12:35 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:30 AM) *
CODE

"Mounting unchecked fs" suggests that the card was removed from the machine you used to install before it had finished writing to it. My first suggestion would be to retry installing the rootfs tarball.

That did it, datathief! Thanks!

Don't know how I did that one....

Anyway, reinstalled the tarball, this time on a 4GB SD card instead of a 1GB card....

Maximum SD Card Size?

Thought about using my new 16GB SD card, but didn't know if that would work on HTC Uni and also for some unknown reason, I couldn't seem to get my Fujitsu U810/Debian to recognize it....so, couldn't unpack tarball onto it...

Debian Boots!
Meanwhile, Debian booted up OK this time..... Yeah!

Now, trying to get ethernet or wifi working now....

USB Ethernet?

Trying to use ethernet through my Linksys USB200M v.2.1 device....at first I got message that there wasn't enough power, so connected up my lil' HP mini-hub and then there's enough power....

Now, to get connected to internet, do I need to do the 2nd section of the Titchy Mobile instructions titled 'Setting Up a USB Network' ?

If that is not what I should do, what should I do to get ethernet working?

Also, what cable type should I be using to connect Linksys to HTC?

I have the 'regular USB cable' and a 'USB host cable'....which one is correct for the HTC?

On my 3200 I use the 'USB host cable'.

Keyboard - Symbols??

If so, how do I type the '>' symbol??? I don't see it on the keyboard....I tried the 'sym' key but I get the '|' symbol when I click that key....

WiFi - UPDATE

As for WiFi, I just re-read instructions and realized that I needed to install 'firmware.tar.gz' and then per instructions:

CODE
modprobe htcuniversal-acx  (message says "forcing power off...is that OK??)
modprobe acx

....did that and now I see that wlan0 interface recognized in 'ifconfig -a'

I tried 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M per instructions, but get message that this is unknown command or something like that....

If I do 'ifup wlan0', console 'goes crazy' with continual scrolling of text.....no way to stop it....have force shutdown by resetting HTC Universal.....text refers to acx and has lots of numbers on each line as it scrolls by...

Any ideas as to get WiFi working properly??

AC Power & USB Hub at Sametime?

Also, Is there anyway to connect the AC power to the Uni AND have the USB hub/ethernet device connected at the same time??? Would be nice to be able to do this since I will usually be near an AC power outlet either at home or at work....

Thanks for any and all help....

Mark

This post has been edited by ArchiMark: Apr 23 2008, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Apr 23 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #103

QUOTE(datathief @ Apr 22 2008, 11:58 PM) *
You're right. I've hardcoded a "+" at the beginning of the dialled number. Handling different types of numbers consistently for calls and SMS needs a little thought - I'll try to fix it tonight or tomorrow. For now, you could edit /usr/bin/htcunid to remove the "+" in "ATD+". Alternatively, can you get to your mailbox by dialling your own number?

Update: New version of htcunid. You can now dial national and network-specific numbers. You must now prepend international numbers with "+".

I think there is a problem with long SMS texts. If you try to send a message over the limit of characters (what is it 140? If so then for Unicode this is 70) it fails and kills the htcunid daemon process or something ugly, tried a number of times and had to manually restart the daemon after each failed attempt.

I think the script needs to check if it's beyond the maximum SMS length and if so, then split into a number of messages and send those in succession.

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 23 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #104

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) *
USB Ethernet?

Trying to use ethernet through my Linksys USB200M v.2.1 device....at first I got message that there wasn't enough power, so connected up my lil' HP mini-hub and then there's enough power....

Now, to get connected to internet, do I need to do the 2nd section of the Titchy Mobile instructions titled 'Setting Up a USB Network' ?

If that is not what I should do, what should I do to get ethernet working?

I don't think the phone even supports USB peripherals (I don't have an adaptor to try). The USB network instructions are for connecting via a USB cable to a PC.

Keyboard - Symbols??

If so, how do I type the '>' symbol??? I don't see it on the keyboard....I tried the 'sym' key but I get the '|' symbol when I click that key....

Shift-: = >
Shift-; = <
SYM = |
Fn-SYM = `

WiFi - UPDATE

As for WiFi, I just re-read instructions and realized that I needed to install 'firmware.tar.gz' and then per instructions:

CODE
modprobe htcuniversal-acx  (message says "forcing power off...is that OK??)
modprobe acx

....did that and now I see that wlan0 interface recognized in 'ifconfig -a'

I tried 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M per instructions, but get message that this is unknown command or something like that....

If I do 'ifup wlan0', console 'goes crazy' with continual scrolling of text.....no way to stop it....have force shutdown by resetting HTC Universal.....text refers to acx and has lots of numbers on each line as it scrolls by...

Any ideas as to get WiFi working properly??

Try dmesg -n1 to stop the messages appearing on the console. Don't do iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M until after you've connected to the access point. You could try adding these to your /network/interfaces, e.g.:
CODE
wlan0 inet dhcp
  pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M
  post-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 1M

AC Power & USB Hub at Sametime?

Also, Is there anyway to connect the AC power to the Uni AND have the USB hub/ethernet device connected at the same time??? Would be nice to be able to do this since I will usually be near an AC power outlet either at home or at work....

The phone should charge via any powered USB connection, although not as quickly as when connected to AC. Plug it in and type apm to see if it's charging.

+Quote Post
datathief
post Apr 23 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #105

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Apr 23 2008, 06:23 PM) *
I think the script needs to check if it's beyond the maximum SMS length and if so, then split into a number of messages and send those in succession.

It's even worse for incoming muiti-part messages: they get completely mangled. They seem to have some sort of extra header. I think this is the last major missing feature - I'll see what I can do.

+Quote Post

44 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:21 PM