IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Debian Newby Help, want to try debian eabi on my c1000
louigi600
post Apr 26 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,928

I've tryed quite a few roms on my Z's starting fron sharp original, Cacko, OE and pdaXrom.

Although pdaXrom is the on that so far I've used most happly I find it on the whole far from satisfactory.

I've spoken to a few happy Z debian users and adding it to my limited x86 debian experience (but very simple with apt) I've decided to give it a try.
I'd like to try it on my C1000.

I found this debian Z rootfs : http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/zau..._071201.tar.bz2
would this be a good starting point ?

Does that rootfs also contain the kernel to be used ? ... if not where do I get a stable and uptodate kernel ?

Without making drastic changes to the current installation on my C1000 can I use u-boot to boot whatever kernel must be used without having to recompile it ? ... or is it necessary to use the original sharp boot loader ?

My idea would be to put the rootfs on SD and use u-boot to load kernel from flash and mount root from SD.

If u-boot is a no go without recompiling kernel where can I get a good kexec working alternative ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
louigi600
post May 1 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,928

I made the newer kernels (2.6.24.4) into ppc boot images for u-boot but still unable to boot from sd/mmc.

I then put the debian root on CF and I was able to boot.

I still haveto press "2" while powering up to have u-boot pass the correct boot device to kernel (which still defaults to mtdblock2).
Zdevil might like to make some adjustments to his quickstart guide which on the whole is quite good.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 02:47 PM