OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> To Boldly Go Where No Z Has Gone Before... The Bath!, Almost certainly ill-conceived... and awesome.
pelrun
post May 29 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,488

It's started getting cooler here in brisbane - natives would probably say it's freezing, but they don't know what cold is. I've consequently fallen into the habit of taking long baths in the evening with a good book (long showers are verboten due to water restrictions, and the books don't survive long). I've run out of unread books and decided I need some way of using my Z instead. Yes, I am probably nuts.

Some heavy plastic sheet, a hot iron, and 30 minutes later, and I have a waterproof pouch for my Z which is flexible enough to let me use the keyboard or a stylus easily, but heavy enough that it's unlikely to tear. I've currently got it undergoing leak testing - I put a berocca tablet and a weight into it and tossed it in the bath. If it's not filled with orange foam in the morning I might consider doing a live test...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jon_J
post May 29 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,821

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ May 29 2008, 05:20 PM) *
But you can't USE the Z when it's in one of those cases, can you?

No
But for the ultimate protection, this case is very good at what it does.
To continue my story above, after we fished the Zaurus in the 1020 case out of the river, I dried off the case and went below and used the Zaurus (out of the case) in the boat's cabin, where it is safe from falling overboard.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
BarryW
post May 31 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,570

QUOTE(Jon_J @ May 29 2008, 06:24 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ May 29 2008, 05:20 PM) *
But you can't USE the Z when it's in one of those cases, can you?

No
But for the ultimate protection, this case is very good at what it does.
To continue my story above, after we fished the Zaurus in the 1020 case out of the river, I dried off the case and went below and used the Zaurus (out of the case) in the boat's cabin, where it is safe from falling overboard.... smile.gif

Otterbox makes a generic pda case that has a vinyl membrane that will allow touch screen interaction. I've used them with an iPaq and a Nokia N800. Don't see why it wouldn't work with the zaurus. You won't get to use the hard buttons, but anything on the screen will be accessible. It should also float if accidentally dropped. I wouldn't push it under for very long, but it should work just fine for ebook reading.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 09:58 AM