Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Connect Directly To The Internet
DaveL
post Jun 16 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,925

Hi

I have a SL-C3100 (Sharp ROM, Tetsu kernel).

Does anyone know of a way of connecting directly to the Internet - like a mobile phone without the voice part? Maybe a special CF card?

Thanks, DaveL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
zmiq2
post Jun 17 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,038

Hi Dave,

your options are:

1) buy a CF modem to connect the zaurus to a fixed phone line

2) buy a CF Bluetooth card and a mobile phone with bluetooth tethering, and use the mobile phone as a modem to connect to the internet

3) buy a CF GSM/GPRS card to directly insert into the card your SIM card, and connect directly (but low speed) to the internet. Currently there are no 3G or 3.5G CF cards available; there was some talk about one being sold in Japan only, but it's very difficult to get and noones knows if it works wit a Zaurus.

4) buy a CF lan card to connect a rj45 wired ethernet cable and, through a proper router, connect to the internet

5) buy a CF wifi card and find am access point to connect to the internet

Some comments:
1) I understand you are looking for option 3. That is the most expensive option; one card is the most common: audiovox rtm-8000.
2) there is a lot of experience with having a bluetooth enabled phone; the phone can be a 3G or 3.5G phone, and you can easily get decent browsing speeds. I really think it's cheaper to get a cf-bluetooth card and a second-hand bluetooth enabled phone rather than a gsm-gprs cf card.
3) feel free to ask any further questions; many people in this forum have tried all different options. Connecting the Zaurus to the internet is the most wanted feature always

HTH
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 12:06 AM