OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 4.3 Snapshot - New And Improved Install/enjoyment Docs, Etc, plus a TON of packages
gen2
post Jun 26 2008, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,926

Hello again,

New and Improved™ C-series install/enjoyment docs and xscale-optimized packages now available for 4.3 snapshot.

www.planetofidiots.com

Potential New Users: If I've succeeded here, this might be your "fast track" to checking out OpenBSD on the Z. The goal was to create a one-stop site where base packages match the pre-built ports, theoretically making it easier for new users to experience unconditional love and perhaps slowing the natural decay of obsd-on-z excitement.

Do I have to explain why OpenBSD is incredibly cool? No? PHEW! wink.gif

Corrections/Additions/Complaints/Requests welcome as always.

The following included for convenience, if you're unfamiliar it's best to examine docs at the link provided above first.

packages:
http://www.planetofidiots.com/pub/OpenBSD/...ackages/zaurus/

base-install files:
http://www.planetofidiots.com/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/zaurus/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PacoBell
post Sep 27 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,474

Not to belittle your hard work or anything, but aren't the general ARM packages supposed to be compatible with Zaurus? If so, doesn't that make package compilation on the Z somewhat redundant, if not futile?

+Quote Post
gen2
post Sep 28 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(PacoBell @ Sep 28 2008, 07:39 AM) *
but aren't the general ARM packages supposed to be compatible with Zaurus?

They are. I use the xscale er...optimalizations, plus there are some interesting differences in package inventory.

+Quote Post
Wildherb
post Sep 29 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,887

I might be tempted to give BSD another try but this time on my C3000. First, a few questions:

Has 4.3 been tested on C3000?
Any suspend/resume issues?
Is there WPA wireless support?
Anything in particular to watch out for during installation on a NAND-impared 3000 compared to the 3100/3200?(I'll probably be doing single partition install)
Is SD support working now?
In particular, I want to do PERL with self-compiled modules from CPAN. Does anybody have any success at this under BSD?

About this time last year I spent some time with BSD on my C3100. I was generally very impressed at how easy it was to get a working port built from the package feed, but in spite of several rebuilds and tweaks, the wretched 3100 refused to suspend/resume which somewhat limited the value I could ever get out of it - unable to be away from a power supply is not a great position for a portable device to be in!

----EDIT----

Just seen that 4.4 is to be released on Nov 1st. I might hang on for that.

http://www.openbsd.org/44.html

+Quote Post
gen2
post Sep 30 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Wildherb @ Sep 29 2008, 10:42 AM) *
Just seen that 4.4 is to be released on Nov 1st. I might hang on for that.

If you have the base packages pre-downloaded (and made available from a local webserver) it's possible to do an installation in about 15 minutes, otherwise maybe 1/2hr. Might as well just go for it. Sleep works, most everything else you mentioned works far as I know (sd isn't happening on my 3200). I don't know that 4.4 is going to have much new for the Z; not to dissuade you in any way, but presents for Z users are fewer and farther between as time drones on.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 12:06 PM