Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Obsd Packetsniffer? Tcpdump?
Wildherb
post Oct 6 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,887

While I"m very happy that so many security and network apps are available for OBSD, I'm struggling to find a packet sniffer such as the ubiqutous tcpdump.

I believe that wireshark (ethereal) has been dropped from OBSD because of security concerns but surely there must be some way of knowing what's on the wire? What do other people use?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lance
post Oct 12 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,484

QUOTE(Wildherb @ Oct 6 2008, 05:06 PM) *
While I"m very happy that so many security and network apps are available for OBSD, I'm struggling to find a packet sniffer such as the ubiqutous tcpdump.

I believe that wireshark (ethereal) has been dropped from OBSD because of security concerns but surely there must be some way of knowing what's on the wire? What do other people use?

There's a package called bsd-airtools. That may have what you're talking about.

+Quote Post
Wildherb
post Oct 13 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Lance @ Oct 13 2008, 02:13 AM) *

Thanks Lance, I've installed bsd-airtools but all I can find is layer 2 (kismet style) functionality. Tcpdump allows you to 'sniff the wire' at > layer 3. I've found trafshow to be useful but still I miss basic, popular opens source tools and it is very frustrating not to have them in what is otherwise a very well equipped distro. Who makes up the rules?

+Quote Post
Lance
post Oct 14 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,484

QUOTE(Wildherb @ Oct 13 2008, 06:35 PM) *
QUOTE(Lance @ Oct 13 2008, 02:13 AM) *

Thanks Lance, I've installed bsd-airtools but all I can find is layer 2 (kismet style) functionality. Tcpdump allows you to 'sniff the wire' at > layer 3. I've found trafshow to be useful but still I miss basic, popular opens source tools and it is very frustrating not to have them in what is otherwise a very well equipped distro. Who makes up the rules?

I'm not a big network person, so I don't really know that much about tcpdump or any other networking tools. I mainly use OpenBSD on my desktop workstation. Is the tcpdump in the base install of OpenBSD not the same as what you're used to doing with tcpdump in other distributions?

+Quote Post
Wildherb
post Oct 15 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Lance @ Oct 15 2008, 05:27 AM) *
I'm not a big network person, so I don't really know that much about tcpdump or any other networking tools. I mainly use OpenBSD on my desktop workstation. Is the tcpdump in the base install of OpenBSD not the same as what you're used to doing with tcpdump in other distributions?

Lance, my apologies to you and to the board. Tcpdump is already there in /usr/sbin. I cant think why I couldnt find it earlier - perhaps I had a path problem or perhaps I just need a new pair of spectacles!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 07:08 AM