OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> C3200 Cf Wireless Card, What's compatible?
JimR
post Oct 25 2008, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,048

Hi guys, long time no See!

So, I'm trying to get wireless set up at my house, and I have been looking for a wireless card for my Zaurus.
I checked the Sharp page listing compatible cards, here, and the only ones on the list I can find on Japanese sites are the Planex GW-CF11H and GW-CF11X. Does anyone know about these cards? Are they actually compatible out of the box, and do they give good performance?

I'm running Sharp Rom with the English mod posted around here somewhere...

If anyone has adive about other cards, I'm all ears. I want as little futzing around with configuration as possible...Plug-and-play is the watchword.
Are there any USB wi-fi adapters that work? Or any other solution?

Thanks,
Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dhns
post Oct 25 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,043

QUOTE(JimR @ Oct 25 2008, 02:57 PM) *
Hi guys, long time no See!

So, I'm trying to get wireless set up at my house, and I have been looking for a wireless card for my Zaurus.
I checked the Sharp page listing compatible cards, here, and the only ones on the list I can find on Japanese sites are the Planex GW-CF11H and GW-CF11X. Does anyone know about these cards? Are they actually compatible out of the box, and do they give good performance?

I'm running Sharp Rom with the English mod posted around here somewhere...

If anyone has adive about other cards, I'm all ears. I want as little futzing around with configuration as possible...Plug-and-play is the watchword.
Are there any USB wi-fi adapters that work? Or any other solution?

Thanks,
Jim

What works is listed here: http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Wireless_Card_Support

The main problem may be to purchase a card.

-- hns

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Oct 26 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

basically, you're looking for anything Prism based as these give you hostap drivers, and thus works with WPA etc. The Socket/Symbol/Spectrum card works OK, is quite efficient on power but doesn't allow wpa_supplicant and thus not WPA.

might be worth checking the wanted/for-sale section and even posting an advert.

if you really get stuck, then bluetooth PAN is a good option, albeit you'd need a computer to act as dedicated gateway (I can't recall seeing any appliances offering this!)... or a very long USB cable smile.gif

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Oct 26 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 26 2008, 05:51 PM) *
basically, you're looking for anything Prism based as these give you hostap drivers, and thus works with WPA etc. The Socket/Symbol/Spectrum card works OK, is quite efficient on power but doesn't allow wpa_supplicant and thus not WPA.

Actually, I believe WPA no has the "wext" driver that works whether the card allows WPA or not.

I may be misinformed, however.

+Quote Post
utx
post Oct 26 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,468

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 27 2008, 12:51 AM) *
The Socket... card works OK, is quite efficient on power but doesn't allow wpa_supplicant and thus not WPA.

This is valid only for old Socket card, now available only rarely as used devices. New Socket P500 card are even more power efficient, have support of 802.11g and WPA, but you need to contact Embwise to obtain a proprietary driver (for Sharp ROM).

+Quote Post
JimR
post Oct 26 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,048

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ok, well, both sharp and the planex site list those cards as compatible.
How can you tell if the card is based on Prism? The Japanese descriptions don't list the word, but I really don't know what I'm looking for....

+Quote Post
utx
post Oct 27 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,468

QUOTE(JimR @ Oct 27 2008, 02:30 AM) *
How can you tell if the card is based on Prism? The Japanese descriptions don't list the word, but I really don't know what I'm looking for....

For the first guess: many cards based on Prism have name "Company WL-1100CF" or "Company WL-11CF". Most of them are out of production, so you are probably searching for second hand devices. Depending on firmware version, these devices may support WPA out of the box, or they need to upload newer firmware images.

Far the best way: Use web search. Either search for exactly the same card and its support in Linux. If you are able to get CID (CF card ID), then you can search for this ID in all forms used (0x0id:0x0id, 0xid:0xid, id:id).

Note that you may still be out of luck, if the manufacturer changed the chipset without changing name of the product.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 08:52 AM