IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Letux 400, cheap Linux netbook
the_oak
post Dec 18 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,794

This is not really a new product (as far as being mentioned here on the forums), but I think this is an effort by our old friend (and member here) Guylhem. It is called the Letux 400. It is similar to the Razorbook, Elonex One T, HiVision Mininote, and several other iterations of the same (or similar) basic design. Wasn't Letux Guylhem's old project from before his wreck?

http://www.letux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Letux_400

http://www.letux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://www.notebooks.com/wiki/index.php/XB...erating_Systems
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
adf
post Dec 18 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

Yeah I looked at these, but the thing is worth about $100 usd afaik, and I can't seem to find one anywhere near that price, nor for sale in the US. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find it available to me in the US for anything like the suggested $98usd pricetag HiVision quoted in the fall.

+Quote Post
dhns
post Jan 6 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,043

QUOTE(adf @ Dec 19 2008, 06:20 AM) *
Yeah I looked at these, but the thing is worth about $100 usd afaik, and I can't seem to find one anywhere near that price, nor for sale in the US. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find it available to me in the US for anything like the suggested $98usd pricetag HiVision quoted in the fall.

Did you find any offer at 98 USD so far?

AFAIK the HiVision price tag was a misquote and meant a factory purchase price for some millions of units (OLPC). If you know a little about component prices, shipment cost and dealers margins you would yourself find that 98 USD shop price is not achievable for a full minilaptop with keyboard and color WVGA. Compare to the Zaurus. Do you think a Zaurus is not worth more than 150 USD (for its touch screen)? In fact the Zaurus should be worth less since it has a smaller screen area wink.gif But we all happily paid some 400-800 USD for them some years ago!

-- hns

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 6 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(dhns @ Jan 6 2009, 01:14 AM) *
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 19 2008, 06:20 AM) *

Did you find any offer at 98 USD so far?

AFAIK the HiVision price tag was a misquote and meant a factory purchase price for some millions of units (OLPC). If you know a little about component prices, shipment cost and dealers margins you would yourself find that 98 USD shop price is not achievable for a full minilaptop with keyboard and color WVGA. Compare to the Zaurus. Do you think a Zaurus is not worth more than 150 USD (for its touch screen)? In fact the Zaurus should be worth less since it has a smaller screen area wink.gif But we all happily paid some 400-800 USD for them some years ago!
-- hns

The price discussed last fall was in comparison to the goals of OLPC, so I think they were shooting for lower consumer cost than you imply.

components become cheaper over time, and the Z was really top o the line when it came out. The HiVision is not a top end device, it is supposed to be a llow cost basic utility device. Look at it this way; in 2008 most smartphomes have as much memory as this device. Its really cool, but not at near the price of a Pandora

+Quote Post
dhns
post Jan 6 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,043

QUOTE(adf @ Jan 6 2009, 12:47 PM) *
... 2008 most smartphomes have as much memory as this device. Its really cool, but not at near the price of a Pandora
Oh really? Most have more than 2GB Flash at lower price (w/o contract!)? Yes, some have 256 MB which is more than 128 MB. So e.g. the iPhone has more RAM and Flash...

According to my research this official page http://www.openpandora.org/index_en.php says:
How much will it cost?
Around 199 (inc VAT), $330, Euro212 (Ex.VAT).
So how do you come to the conclusion that the Pandora is cheaper?

Or better. The Pandora has a touchscreen (++) but a much smaller display (--) only 43 keys (--). I could not find a reference about memory capacity of the Pandora. And a 600 MHz ARM vs. 335 MHz MIPS doesn't make make it necessarily faster (I can't do real comparisons but the MIPS@335 MHz has a much faster Xfb than any 400 MHz Zaurus).

-- hns

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2014 - 08:15 PM