IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Motorola Droid, Looking for reviews
AeroSigma
post Nov 23 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,937

I sold my Tosa a while ago to get a combined phone/PDA (it's an LG Incite, I like it alot, but it's Windows Mobile) (bad choice, by the way, I desperately miss it) and my heart is aching for embedded linux. I haven't thought much at all about Android because I'm not a google fanboy. I use www.google.com because it is powerful and simple, I use gmail because it is well organized and effective. I certainly don't make a point of loving the company.

But the Motorola Droid has really piqued my interest (it is certainly sexy hardware) as an embedded linux device. Does anyone here have the Droid, (or even a different Android phone) that can speak to the experience? How powerful is it as a linux platform? How modifiable is the distribution/hardware? Would you recommend an Android Phone?

Thanks,
AeroSigma

PS- Since I'm on AT&T here in the US, the CDMA(Verison) 'DROID' won't work for me. The "MILESTONE' is a GSM(AT&T/T-Mobile) version of the same phone. Is there anyone in Germany or Italy that would be willing to/capable of exporting the phone for me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
undrwater
post Dec 1 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

Apparently Palm's webOS is much more open than Android. The source for Android's app store is closed, so it makes installing new stuff a bit more of a chore. There is no ssh (ADB is required and I believe more restrictive).

Keep an eye out for Nokia N900...really good hardware running Maemo. They advertise openness...but who knows.

I'm also on ATT in the US, so I've got my eyes open. In the meantime, I play with my Openmoko FreeRunner.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 10:19 AM