IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> State Of The Kernel Feb 2010
HRH_H_Crab
post Feb 26 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,035

It seems to me that the current state of the kernel as far as Debian on Zaurus is concerned is farcical.
It looks like Yonggun kernel development has ground to a halt, and my experiments with the Ubuntu kernel were not very promising.
In a lot of ways I would be happy to stick with the last Yonggun kernel, but the problem is that Debian has now moved forward and things are getting messy.

Users have got to stick with an old version of Udev and my gut feeling is that soon stuff is going to break which will result in users not having an upgradeable install.

So how do we move forward?

Is building an updated kernel for Zaurus something practical for end users? I'm pretty geeky but I don't think it will be easy to manage all the patches manually.

Is the Poky kernel a suitable candidate? I've seen it referred to, but has anyone tried it? I found the Ubuntu kernel "messy" with Debian on the Zaurus but I can't remember exactly what I didnt like about it.

Is anyone actively carrying out work on Yongguns sources?

Someone said that the problem is that charging is somehow broken with newer kernels, is this being worked on and by who?
Is there a freenode channel where people working on that hang out by any chance?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
radiochickenwax
post Mar 4 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,548

Thanks for starting this thread!

QUOTE(HRH_H_Crab @ Feb 26 2010, 03:29 PM) *
my gut feeling is that soon stuff is going to break which will result in users not having an upgradeable install.

I feel this too, and it scares me a little sometimes. I'm mostly sticking with "stable" for now, and when it comes to it, I'll stick with "oldstable"... that should buy a few years at least until I can get something better than zaurus, (beagleboard,gumstix,etc)...

..but I hate how the community has died out over the past few years... saddening.

Is building an updated kernel for Zaurus something practical for end users? I'm pretty geeky but I don't think it will be easy to manage all the patches manually.

I think this is the most practical thing we can do... still trying to bring myself up to speed... and not getting there fast.

Is anyone actively carrying out work on Yongguns sources?

I work on small things passively, not actively. Sorry. Not enough resources.

Is there a freenode channel where people working on that hang out by any chance?

I second this question.. would love to help out in any way. Starting a channel isn't hard at all, but maintaining it becomes harder.

EDIT: Just found the following:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zauru...ary/thread.html

+Quote Post
HRH_H_Crab
post Mar 7 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,035

QUOTE(radiochickenwax @ Mar 4 2010, 08:24 PM) *

That is interesting.
At least there is someone working on something.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 07:05 PM