OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> No Angstrom Loopback For Ipaq H5400 But, Techy Installl..
iTux
post May 2 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,196

I have been looking at some webposts about installing Angstrom on my old iPAq H5400. But, there is no loopback install for amateurs like me. I have used some linux distros in the past on my PC, & even used the command line often. I still don't see myself as skilled as i have required web support in this area. Anyway, since I don't have a loopback install, I am interested in doing a more techy install. I found a couple of pages that are somewhat instructive in this area: This one & this one . I have downloaded BootBlaster & bootloader but, I am only using Windows ATM. I have bought a CF card on eBay, & am waiting for it to arrive. I already have the jacket for it... My main concern is for using ymodem. My understsanding is I use ymodem through a command prompt to connect to my iPAQ hardware, & I am thinking it would be done through Linux. I have a serial port connection to my iPAQ but, I am thinking I will need to use a linux distro. I am thinking I will use a live disc, such as Knoppix or Ubuntu. Is there any advice I need on my plan?

Thanks in advance :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
iTux
post May 6 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Things are more clearer to me now. I have found some great instructions for installing Angstrom here http://undefined.org.ua/blog/2008/04/13/pp...gstrom/?lang=en I also have the right boot loader & Boot Blaster. I am running Windows 7 so I had to download terminal client, since Win 7 doesn't have it (neither Win Vista). I am thinking of running the install off of a CF card. Not sure if this is a good option though.

:-)

+Quote Post
iTux
post May 8 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #3

After 2 attempts I got Angstrom loaded on to my iPaq H5450. I followed this instruction but, there are some things to note. As my first attempt ended having this error , I was fortunate that I could still access Win CE. Although, I couldn't restore it in any way. The boot loader was still there but, I decided to go for a different boot loader. The one linked in this instruction wasn't the one displayed the screen shots. The one linked is bootldr-pxa-2.21.11.bin.gz but the better one is bootldr-pxa-2.21.12.bin.gz. So, I used BootBlaster to backup & program the new one.

I ran into an issue using Hyper Terminal. I could connect to my iPaq but no prompt was coming up. I soon realized why. You have to have Flow Control set to 'None'. So, then I could instruct boot loader & things started to move forward, until I got the error... But I was ready to go for the second attempt. Another thing, since I downloaded Hyper Terminal and ran it within Win 7, it was a bit unstable. While sending the image over Ymodem, it froze up. I had to start again and walk away from the computer, making sure it wasn't going to be busy doing other things in the background. I disconnected the internet ect...

Overall, a big learning curve for me. I find Angstrom sluggish & several things, like wifi, SD, Bluetooth, don't work. One major thing is when I suspend it goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the corner. The screen doesn't switch off. I have to take the battery off to turn it off, then reset it to turn it on. My settings are then all gone except passwords. I just have to work out how to connect to the web via USB & update it. Maybe this will change things. Just more googling & another learning curve for me.

Thanks for your help! It is sort of bloggish now though.

+Quote Post
iTux
post May 8 2010, 04:15 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(iTux @ May 8 2010, 08:04 PM) *
After 2 attempts I got Angstrom loaded on to my iPaq H5450. I followed this instruction but, there are some things to note. As my first attempt ended having this error , I was fortunate that I could still access Win CE. Although, I couldn't restore it in any way. The boot loader was still there but, I decided to go for a different boot loader. The one linked in this instruction wasn't the one displayed the screen shots. The one linked is bootldr-pxa-2.21.11.bin.gz but the better one is bootldr-pxa-2.21.12.bin.gz. So, I used BootBlaster to backup & program the new one.

I ran into an issue using Hyper Terminal. I could connect to my iPaq but no prompt was coming up. I soon realized why. You have to have Flow Control set to 'None'. So, then I could instruct boot loader & things started to move forward, until I got the error... But I was ready to go for the second attempt. Another thing, since I downloaded Hyper Terminal and ran it within Win 7, it was a bit unstable. While sending the image over Ymodem, it froze up. I had to start again and walk away from the computer, making sure it wasn't going to be busy doing other things in the background. I disconnected the internet ect...

Overall, a big learning curve for me. I find Angstrom sluggish & several things, like wifi, SD, Bluetooth, don't work. One major thing is when I suspend it goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the corner. The screen doesn't switch off. I have to take the battery off to turn it off, then reset it to turn it on. My settings are then all gone except passwords. I just have to work out how to connect to the web via USB & update it. Maybe this will change things. Just more googling & another learning curve for me.

Thanks for your help! It is sort of bloggish now though.

Ps. This lack of connectivity is really annoying. I can't get connected via USB. I think I installed something a bit too basic. No calendar, contacts... I might have a go at building one at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/narcissus/ . I might then get some other connectivity.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 09:59 PM