Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> C860 As A Japanese Dictionary, with hand written kanji recognition
PeterL
post Jul 17 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,503

Hi,

First of all, apologies for my bad manners in cross-posting this message here after posting it in the Cxx0 General forum as well. I saw that that forum isn't very active at all, so I decided to take a bet and to repost it here, as this is the most active forum.

In 2003, I bought my C860 as an aid in my Japanese studies. I stayed with the original Sharp ROM and installed kanjidic + a few dictionaries. With its recognition of kanji written on screen, it was a dream dictionary. However, a few years later, I hardly had anything to do with Japan anymore and reflashed the ROM to some sort of Linux. It boots and gives me a login prompt. I can log in as root without a password, but I donīt know which ROM or version it is.

I'd like to flash it back to something similar to what I had before. The only requirements are: a good dictionary (extendible with more edict files), recognition of hand written kanji. I don't require networking, X, whatever in particular. Just give me back the greatest Japanese-English dictionary on earth

Any recommendations on which ROM to flash with ? I can find the right application soft myself after that, if standard Zaurus apps work on that ROM.

Thanks in advance,

Peter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
koan
post Jul 17 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,025

What kind of Kanji recognition do you need ?

Do you want to edit text or is it only the dictionary function that you need ? Would you be happy to use the Sharp ROM with NihongoNirvana http://nihongonirvana.sourceforge.net/kani1/kani.html ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 08:54 AM