IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Want To Use My Sl-c1000, Any Ideas?
gr8ful
post Aug 9 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,307

I haven't used my Z for over 2 years and I'd like to put it to use again. Are there any distributions out there that will breathe some life into my Z and make it useful again?

At one time, OpenZaurus and Ångström were up and coming and very promising. Is there anything happening with these distros?

Is there any possibility of Android on the Z? I thought I heard someone was working on it but don't know what progress has been made.

I am interested in anything that will make it useful and let me tinker again. I bought an iPhone about 2 years ago and as you know, there isn't much you can tweak. Even if you jailbreak, you are still limited.

Glad the site is still around.

gr8ful
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
gr8ful
post Aug 14 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,307

My typical use would be as an e-book reader (PDFs mostly), movies, and web browsing. However, something I would really like to use it for is to manage a home control, monitoring, and security systems. Would be a nice device to control lighting, temp, and access security cameras. Really would like to get back into tinkering around again.

+Quote Post
arzgi
post Aug 19 2011, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(gr8ful @ Aug 15 2011, 05:10 AM) *
My typical use would be as an e-book reader (PDFs mostly), movies, and web browsing. However, something I would really like to use it for is to manage a home control, monitoring, and security systems. Would be a nice device to control lighting, temp, and access security cameras. Really would like to get back into tinkering around again.

My suggestion is that you would install some broader distro, Debian or Zubuntu for example. I have Debian on my 3100,
more than 29 000 programs to choose from. Then just do some googling, linux home automation.

I use my Z as a gps device, calculator(!), take notes, music player and when travelling, as web surfing platform, and whatever
possible with tiny display and keyboard. That is a lot rolleyes.gif

Openbox makes X quite responsive, other light dm:s are available too. Many pdf readers also, xpdf lightweight.

+Quote Post
keef
post Aug 19 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,634

QUOTE(arzgi @ Aug 19 2011, 06:42 AM) *
QUOTE(gr8ful @ Aug 15 2011, 05:10 AM) *

My suggestion is that you would install some broader distro, Debian or Zubuntu for example. I have Debian on my 3100,
more than 29 000 programs to choose from. Then just do some googling, linux home automation.

I use my Z as a gps device, calculator(!), take notes, music player and when travelling, as web surfing platform, and whatever
possible with tiny display and keyboard. That is a lot :rolleyes:

Openbox makes X quite responsive, other light dm:s are available too. Many pdf readers also, xpdf lightweight.

Hi- How do you use your z as a Gps device?

keef

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 10:00 AM