Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> site outage today
nianderson
post Jul 14 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,870

Whats going on? last few days ive noticed the site bouncing up and down.

who is hosting it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Jul 14 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hi all - I normally check the site every morning when I get up, but this morning I didn't. When I got to work, I tried to pull up the site, and couldn't get anything. I tried to ping and ssh to the server, and still nothing. So I left work to drive home and check the server (luckily I have the flexibility to work from home when I need to), and it was simply hung, so I bounced the server.

After that, everything is working fine again. This isn't the first time that the server has flat out hung. The last time was when I restarted the mysqld service.

So, I obviously don't like the fact that this new server is even the slightest bit unreliable. I am looking into why the server is haning, and will post any details if I find any.

The server that the site was on before was slackware, and I've been told that it is more reliable than RH9. I'm sure that this is debatable, but I know that the site was never down due to server/OS issues when it was on the old server.

That said, I have three physical servers for the ZUG. All three servers are Dell Poweredge 350's, PIII 800mhz with 1gb of RAM each.

(1) zaurususergroup.com site
(2) downloads.zaurususergroup.com site
(3) spare server - I was planning on making this server an exact duplicate of the zaurususergroup.com site, with the site and db being rsync'd on a regular basis in case something happens with the primary server.

I am now going to build out the spare server (3) with slackware, and get the site ready to move to this server. I will then rebuild the existing zaurususergroup.com site server (1) to be the secondary mirror server.

I do appologize for the outage, and I will do everything within my means to make the site as reliable as possible. sad.gif

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Jul 14 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,633

I assume the site is currently on RH9? I've only recently converted some of my home computers to gentoo and slackware after RH9 went to the fedora project. I must say that I'm quickly becoming a fan of emerge. It is so convenient, yet it can be powerful.

ORG, No worries as I think you have a solid plan.

+Quote Post
dz
post Jul 14 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #4

~

Member No.: 1,667

I've been using Slackware for many, many, many years. I definately recommend it over RH9.

+Quote Post
padishah_emperor
post Jul 14 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,180

I remember once someone here asking what desktop Linux to use, I said never aska bunch of Linux users which distribution to use, or you will get as many answers as there are distributions. LOL!

In that spirit, I recommend Debian. 'tis gooooood...

Whatever you do offroadgeek, we all value all the efforts you put into ZUG.

+Quote Post
dz
post Jul 14 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #6

~

Member No.: 1,667

I agree Padishah, to each his own when it comes ot linux distro's. You really just have to use several ones until you find the one you like.

+Quote Post
badger
post Jul 14 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7

Running a Linux distro as a desktop and as a server (with a site as busy as this) is two completly different things.

Slackware will not only provide a much faster and more reliable server it will also be more secure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:25 AM