14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fast 6000 kernel, along with special libsdl
pldrouin
post Jan 12 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,642

I'm trying to compile a kernel (using http://www.externe.net/zaurus/kernel/linux...0041002.tar.gz), but now my SD card doesn't work. Do I have to copy the object file sharp_mmcsd.o from the original Sharp kernel to have it to work? Because I don't see any configuration parameter for it in menuconfig

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
selfabuse
post Jan 13 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 5,824

As a follow up to my post on Dec 28 2004, 03:51 PM

it looks like if you take all the insmods that I had there, and put them in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules then everything loads properly on boot. - so, your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules should look like this

CODE
#!/bin/sh

insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/net/p80211.o
insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/usb/usbcore.o
insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/usb/usb_ohci_tc6393.o
insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/net/prism2_usb.o
insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o
insmod /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/fs/ext2/ext2.o
mount /dev/mmcda1

exit 0

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 13 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4,572

thanks.

+Quote Post
selfabuse
post Jan 13 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #49

pldrouin - I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the sharp_mmcsd.o driver is open source, so you would need to copy the file over from your stock kernel

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 14 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #50

I think S.A is right. if the sd/mmc mdule were open, open zaurus would long since have been on kernel 2.6 (which allegedly might show up)

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 15 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,478

after flashing the kernel

CODE
depmod -ae
give me the following error (it also shows up in the startup sequence)

CODE
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.180-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/modules.dep for writing

Besides
1. X/Qt won't lauch
2. the USB connection through cradle is not working

worked
WLAN, ext2 SD (by fixes), ext2 CF2

+Quote Post
hatchetman
post Jan 15 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 5,332

I think it would be very beneficial if somebody could compile a set of instructions on how-to load this kernel on to the 6000. In fact I think this kernel could be used on all zaurus models, so it wouldn't really be 6000 specific except for loading the config file. I haven't tried it myself which makes it hard to write up any kind of documentation on it, but I'm going to try to start something on www.oesf.org to hopefully get the ball rolling.

http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Kernels will be the page that has a link to the page about loading this kernel.

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 15 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #53

I've started from a clean stock rom. now the problems are solved.

CODE
depmod -ae
no error message
I think it's related to I once installed the opie-sysinfo before the kernel flash. It somehow confuses the kernel info.

no problem with usb connection/syc with desktop also

X/Qt won't launch

I forgot to install zlib1.1.2

WOW, with the fast kernel at the maximum frequency, The unzipping of the debian-big package only takes 3-5 mins, which instead took me a whole hour (maybe less) before.

well, anybody helping me where to put the special libsdl? what additional links i should make? And spcifically, how to make the crimson field run with the special libsdl on 6k. Thanks in advance

edit: i got crimson running beautifully,except the key orientation upside down. just put the libsdl in the other folder with the other libsdls

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 16 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #54

I don't know if this post belong to fast kernel or Debian+X/Qt, maybe both.

After I installed the fast kernel (even at low speed). I encounted problems in the following applications in my debian box

firefox (keen to freeze, i.e. if you try to access the menu bar esp. bookmark. It even froze up the whole icewm sometimes)
Konqueror (freeze or crash often)
thunderbird (hang during lauching from xterm)
xpdf (hang during lauching from xterm) This is the part puzzling me the most. How?

abiword and gnumeric works as snappy as before.
I don't know if it's the kernel problem. But these program do work fine with the stock kernel. smeulas, do you have the same problem?

+Quote Post
selfabuse
post Jan 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(xjqian @ Jan 16 2005, 06:59 PM)
I don't know if this post belong to fast kernel or Debian+X/Qt, maybe both.

After I installed the fast kernel (even at low speed). I encounted problems in the following applications in my debian box

firefox (keen to freeze, i.e. if you try to access the menu bar esp. bookmark. It even froze up the whole icewm sometimes)
Konqueror (freeze or crash often)
thunderbird (hang during lauching from xterm)
xpdf (hang during lauching from xterm) This is the part puzzling me the most. How?

abiword and gnumeric works as snappy as before. 
I don't know if it's the kernel problem. But these program do work fine with the stock kernel. smeulas, do you have the same problem?

I haven't run in to any of those problems, but I'm using the no-FFPE kernel..

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 16 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(selfabuse @ Jan 16 2005, 05:55 PM)
I haven't run in to any of those problems, but I'm using the no-FFPE kernel..

flashed to the no-FFPE kernel. now everything works nicely as before, only faster. seems intensive graphical drawing like pull down menu, popup window, minimize, resize, etc. screwed up the FFPE kernel before.

Konqueror still crashes often though (lots of warning and error msg when launching as well), like loading the zug pages. But this is also what i experienced with the stock kernel and it should be a debian question.

Thanks for the pointer.

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Jan 21 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 2,365

Hello

Sorry for the ffpe related problems. I tried various option to get the best performance, and I didn't get real bugs with ffpe but looks like many people did.

Well I'm glad people are finding this kernel useful :-) I have to update it - along with libsdl. Can't promise any date - I'm always late :-)

Guylhem

+Quote Post
selfabuse
post Jan 21 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(guylhem @ Jan 21 2005, 04:26 PM)
Hello

Sorry for the ffpe related problems. I tried various option to get the best performance, and I didn't get real bugs with ffpe but looks like many people did.

Well I'm glad people are finding this kernel useful :-) I have to update it - along with libsdl. Can't promise any date - I'm always late :-)

Guylhem

I never tried the FFPE enabled kernel since I heard some people having issues with it, but I can say that the non-FFPE fast kernel w/ your custom SDL is by far the most useful zaurus thing I've ever installed, and I cant thank you enough for putting it together!

-ross

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 21 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #59

I love this kernel.. I am infact using the ffpe version, without any problems at all.
The only differenci i see is that games work better with ffpe. As a caveat though, i don't do any real precise engineering or anything with my 6k.

I really appreciate this stuff. It made my 6k much much less of a headache. and definitely made sharprom a valid option again...

But... since you are already revving up your toolchain.... any luck compiling a softfloat mplayer? I'd love to give it a spin if you have (though the reglar mplayer is working pretty nicely)

and.... any thoughts on pushing qtopia 2.1 through the soft-float chain to see what happens? Though that sounds like a headache waiting to happen.... and with a maybe limited payoff to boot. I had heard rumor that the hancom stuff installed with hancom libs on a softfloat system would be ok though......

As SA said,
thanks, it makes a diference.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 21 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #60

update issue/repeat post. oops.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 02:33 AM