Reply to this topicStart new topic
> USB Adaptor & Cables, connecting to peripherals & computers
Gondola
post Jan 25 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,189

QUOTE(BarryW @ Dec 30 2004, 06:32 AM)
I think I found a better adapter.  No cable at all!  Picked it up tonight at Fred Meyers but found it on the web here.

Just a caveat; this is a nice adapter if you plan on using the device outside of the cradle.

However, I have just today gotten the iRiver adapter, and it works fine in or out of the cradle; the piece of the cord in the middle allows the end of the adapter to hang out of the conveniently placed gap in the cradle. This adapter shown above would not work from the cradle.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 26 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #152

Member No.: 1,478

just got my iRiver adaptor. haven't got any keyboard or mouse working. But my no name (actually there is a name: US Modular) usb pen drive got recognized instantly. very impressed. smile.gif

+Quote Post
orac
post Jan 26 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 1,465

If you don't see usbkbd.o after you open a terminal and type lsmod then you may need to do the following:
(I'm assuming that you're using the default Sharp Rom)
bash-2.05% su -
# modprobe usbkbd

And that's it. My logitech wireless keyboard seems to work great. As far as the mouse is concerned... I'm not really sure about that one. I haven't found any clear way to get the mouse to work yet.

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Jan 26 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 2,365

QUOTE(nilch @ Jan 25 2005, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE(guylhem @ Jan 25 2005, 11:14 AM)
Can you access the keyboard while charging with boxwaave minisync on a SL6000 ?
That would make it very interesting to me.

I also created a small script to switch between usb net/storage modes.

Sadly you cant use the internal keyboard on the 6000 while using the boxwave minisync. It just blocks the keyboard from sliding out by a little margin.

I would be inetrested in the USB NET/sorage switcher script and try your new kernel too for emulating the USB mass storage feature.

I'll put that online. You need to insmod the modules however.

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 26 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #155

QUOTE(orac @ Jan 26 2005, 01:24 PM)
# modprobe usbkbd

Thanks for your suggestion. I got the error "couldn't locate the module". Where's the usbkbd.o located?

+Quote Post
gfdsa
post Jan 28 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #156

Member No.: 6,256

Hi,

Beeing in Italy, i've could not find iRiver cable, as well googling for Mini Type A Male -> Type A Female in any syntax did not bring anything.

I found a Mini Type A Male -> Type B Male on www.lindy.com, ordered, recieved today and checked. Works.

So, the cable costs 3 euro, delivery (DHL) 9 euro, total 12, which is cheaper than iRiver, at least for Europe, and is still usable if you buy an USB hub (10-20 euro), which I condider a highly useful device. As well, there is a lot devices except hubs that have Type B female and B/A F/M adapters/cables.

Here is the link:
http://www.lindy.com/chit/productfolder/03/31627/index.php
And the pictures:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  USBOTGminiA_USBBMtransbig.jpg ( 5.82K ) Number of downloads: 58

+Quote Post
Crazy Monkey
post Jan 28 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #157

Member No.: 6,336

QUOTE(mpers3 @ Dec 30 2004, 03:31 PM)
1.  Go to terminal and login as SU
2.  mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

And I get:

Mounting /dev/sda1 on /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage failed: No such device or address

Given the error, and that it works on Windows systems, I'm going to guess it has an NTFS file system. If I'm right, that's the problem - the Z does not support NTFS.

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Jan 31 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #158

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(binjinx @ Dec 21 2004, 08:35 AM)

can you qualify how it woks nicely and with what device?

I just received the zip-linq connector, and the mini usb connector does not connect to the 6000. The mini usb connector is different than the iriver connector.

This may work nicely with my digital camera, but I bought it with the thought of using it with my 6000. sad.gif

I actually bought 5, thinking that if they worked, I would keep one and give away the remaining 4.

+Quote Post
unplug
post Jan 31 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 5,742

For those who have success connecting hd to z6k, do you use external power or use the power from usb? I borrowed one from my friend and found that my z can't provide enough power for that hd. sad.gif

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 31 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #160

I have successfully connected both of my Toshiba 2.5' HD (one 20G 4800rpm, the other 40G 5400 rpm). Both of them need to have external battery supply. My usb cable for the hd housing came with two usb male connect at one end (one for data&power, the other for extra power). I guess z usb host end can't supply enough power for the 2.5' hd, kinda like an unpowered usb hub and things in that class. The new 1.8' hd can suck power directly from the z as mentioned in the other thread. Rio carbon connects no problem. So I'd guess items with their own power like rio karmar, Zen Xtra, iPod would probably work with Z too. But don't take my words for sure.

dmesg spits things like scsi simulates usb mass storage. then I mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt/usbhd. that's it.

+Quote Post
mpers3
post Feb 22 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #161

Member No.: 5,649

QUOTE(Crazy Monkey @ Jan 28 2005, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE(mpers3 @ Dec 30 2004, 03:31 PM)
1.  Go to terminal and login as SU
2.  mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

And I get:

Mounting /dev/sda1 on /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage failed: No such device or address

Given the error, and that it works on Windows systems, I'm going to guess it has an NTFS file system. If I'm right, that's the problem - the Z does not support NTFS.

Thanks Crazy, but no that is not the problem, I just double checked, it is FAT 32. With external power it will sometimes mount, but I get errors when trying to write to it, again since I am new and learning linux, this may have to do with permissions. I am in the process of moving back to the states from overseas right now, so don't have a lot of time to work on it right now. But I have made some progress, thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
bgsfh
post Feb 26 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 538

mpers3: You may want to try the mount command with the -t switch. As in

mount -t /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

You may have to add the following line to your /ect/fstab file.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorage auto noauto,owner 0 0

I have been able to mount a usb thumbdrive and an Archos AV 340 using these techniques. However I am not able to get usb cf or sd cardreaders to mount. When I try I get an invalid argument error. Does anyone know how to do this? I know, the 6000L has cf and sd slots, but I have stuff installed on the cards in thoes slots, and I don't want to pull them if I don't have to. Thanks.

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Mar 10 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #163

Member No.: 2,365

QUOTE(offroadgeek @ Jan 31 2005, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE(binjinx @ Dec 21 2004, 08:35 AM)

I just received the zip-linq connector, and the mini usb connector does not connect to the 6000. The mini usb connector is different than the iriver connector.

You need a mini-A. They sold you a mini-B. There is no mini-A ziplinq I'm aware of (else I'd be purchasing it in the minute)

And it's nearly impossible to create one (when my javeo ebuds died, I figured I could open the central part, and put a mini-A to A instead... nope. there's a spring that one can hardly put back in)

I will tell you if I ever find a mini-A ziplinq (my hopes are low :-(

+Quote Post
cycojesus
post Apr 1 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #164

Member No.: 1,881

Tired of lurking ont the net all day long for a cheap solution I broke my moneybox and bought this from conics.net : http://conics.net/shp/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/i...ost-diag_en.jpg

It sure is expensive (40$ : http://conics.net/shp/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/sl-acc.html ) but the € is strong and I got it for 34,95€. I ordered it a week ago and received it this morning. All excited I turned the 6000 on pluged the cable and pluged the only usb device I had at hand : my usb-key. A look at dmesg and a mount after I was browsing it smile.gif
Now endless possibility arise cool.gif back home I'll try with my external 250GB drive (external power), my iRiver H120 (could put whole OZ feeds on it instead of them eating big space on SD/CF), my camera too (I think I saw some gphoto2 ipk for OZ somewhere). Hey! anyone tried with a mouse ?! Un fortunately I don't have (yet) a USB keyboard...

The only drawback is that I have to find a place to put the cable along with the 6000 and not loose it...

As an old philosoph said (Droopy) : "You know what ? I'm happy !" laugh.gif

EDIT : http://openzaurus.org/official/unstable/3.....1.4-r0_arm.ipk biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
scheck.r
post Apr 1 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 5,776

anyone tried with a mouse ?!

Don't know about OZ but it works great with Sharp ROM + fast kernel

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 02:48 AM