2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Announce: Desktop Version Of The Iqnotes
koan
post Sep 14 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,025

I never compiled or ran iqnotes so it was just a guess.

QUOTE(MaBo @ Sep 14 2010, 05:24 AM) *
Let's try the next thing: compile it on a windows box with some flavor of g++ and qt3...

QT3 was never released under an open source licence for Windows.

I think some people were backporting QT3 from Linux to Cygwin, see http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3/index.php
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SNi
post Oct 23 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,682

Any luck w/this?

QUOTE(MaBo @ Sep 13 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Thanks Koan,
That didn't really work. The following does:
if no modifications are made to the source code whatsoever, you have to create a folder /usr/share/iqnotes and then simply copy (drag and drop) the contents of the pics folder. It actually is exactly as is written in the README.DESKTOP file. The pictuers are then in /usr/share/iqnotes/iqnotes. That folder also has a (empty) subfolder items. What that is for, I don't know...

So now it works completely.

Let's try the next thing: compile it on a windows box with some flavor of g++ and qt3...

I will report if that works.

MaBo

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Oct 24 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,232

Just for "fun", I decided to give it a try.

My first attempt was to try porting the whole application from qt-3 to qt-4. I quickly realized that would require too much work.

On my second attempt, I tried to build the latest version of Q... (aka QTWIN: the port of qt3 for Windows) but it didn't work.

My third attempt was to use an old but existing and working binary version of Q... that I found on the Sourceforge download page. After moving my cygwin installation away (because it was interfering somehow) and manually tweaking some config files, I managed to build a working Windows executable! See the attached zip file. There was some warnings when compiling but it doesn't seem to bother anything.

I have not fully tested the application as I have never used it before. Could someone familiar with the application provide some feedback please.

If it works fine, I will give more details about my building procedure
Attached File(s)
Attached File  iqnotes2.1.0rc1_win32.zip ( 7.45MB ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Oct 25 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #19

I have been told that there was a missing DLL file in the archive so here a new one with the required DLL.

Also, here is the process I did to build the application:

Run "setenv.bat" that basically does this:

CODE
SET QTDIR=N:\Qt\qt-win-free-mingw-3.3.4
SET PATH=%QTDIR%\bin;%PATH%
SET QMAKESPEC=win32-g++

After that, I edit the iqnotes.pro file and change these 4 lines:

CODE
desktop:DEFINES = IQNOTES_PICDIR="\"pics\""
desktop:INTERFACES = p:\fred\iqnotes-2.1.0rc1\iqnotes\desktop\ui\*.ui
desktop:HEADERS += p:\fred\iqnotes-2.1.0rc1\iqnotes\desktop\qpe\*.h
desktop:SOURCES += p:\fred\iqnotes-2.1.0rc1\iqnotes\desktop\qpe\*.cpp

Then, I do:

CODE
cd iqnotes
qmake

Then, I edit the Makefile and replace "-lqt" by "lqt-mt".

I build the application typing "make".

For some mysterious reasons, the linking step may give some errors. If I do "make clean;make", it usually works on the second time. Go figure...

At this point, I should have a iqnotes.exe in the parent directory.

I package the application manually in a directory that contains:
- iqnotes.exe
- qt-mt3.dll (taken from qt-win-free-mingw-3.3.4 directory)
- mingwm10.dll (also taken from qt-win-free-mingw-3.3.4 directory)
- pics folder (taken from iqnotes)

That's it! I hope I have not forgotten anything.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  iqnotes2.1.0rc1_win32.zip ( 7.46MB ) Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post
SNi
post Oct 30 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #20

Thanx so much, works fine on Windows desktop. Only cavil so far, when writing/editing a note it starts off in a very small window (though you can 'drag' it to make it bigger)...
SNi

QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Oct 25 2010, 05:47 PM) *
I have been told that there was a missing DLL file in the archive so here a new one with the required DLL.

At this point, I should have a iqnotes.exe in the parent directory.

I package the application manually in a directory that contains:
- iqnotes.exe
- qt-mt3.dll (taken from qt-win-free-mingw-3.3.4 directory)
- mingwm10.dll (also taken from qt-win-free-mingw-3.3.4 directory)
- pics folder (taken from iqnotes)

That's it! I hope I have not forgotten anything.

+Quote Post
SNi
post Nov 1 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #21

When you do Note- Add Picture what directory is it expecting the files to be in???

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Nov 2 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #22

QUOTE(SNi @ Nov 2 2010, 12:00 PM) *
When you do Note- Add Picture what directory is it expecting the files to be in???

A quick look to the code reveals that it should be in the directory pics/iqnotes/items of the application directory. However, when I put image files there (gif, png, jpg or xpm), they are not shown in the dialog window... I would need to check further. Maybe this weekend.

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Nov 7 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #23

Here is a new version that should fix the problem with Set Picture... feature. The images must be PNG files and stored in the pics/iqnotes/items directory. Please, tell me if it works on your side.

By the way, for anyone who cares, the updated source code can be found here.

I have also found this interesting blog entry about iqnotes. Glad to see that some users are happy about that.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  iqnotes2.1.0rc1_win32.zip ( 3.49MB ) Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post
SNi
post Nov 8 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #24

Thanx, will give it a try... One thought, on a Win box when opening a new file it expects it to be in a .iqnotes subdirectory in the User's directory on the PC. Any possibility of having this subdirectory be with the program files. This would allow it to be used as a "portable" app on a USB stick (vs. having to be installed on a particular PC)
SNi

QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Nov 7 2010, 03:57 AM) *
Here is a new version that should fix the problem with Set Picture... feature. The images must be PNG files and stored in the pics/iqnotes/items directory. Please, tell me if it works on your side.

I have also found this interesting blog entry about iqnotes. Glad to see that some users are happy about that.

+Quote Post
SNi
post Nov 8 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #25

Yup, it works... Thanx much...
SNi

QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Nov 7 2010, 03:57 AM) *

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Nov 8 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(SNi @ Nov 9 2010, 03:07 AM) *
Thanx, will give it a try... One thought, on a Win box when opening a new file it expects it to be in a .iqnotes subdirectory in the User's directory on the PC. Any possibility of having this subdirectory be with the program files. This would allow it to be used as a "portable" app on a USB stick (vs. having to be installed on a particular PC)
SNi

I think that the default behavior is standard. Usually, you want your personal data to be stored in your home directory. Especially if you're sharing your computer with other people. However, I could make a "portable" version of the application with the asked behavior. It would be very convenient indeed and it's probably very easy to implement. I will take a look in the week-end.

Thanks for your quick feedback btw.

+Quote Post
SNi
post Nov 9 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #27

That's great... Right now I have it installed on computers at work and at home, which gets into "version" issues (ensuring latest .xml or .rijn file, keeping "synced"), the ability to have and run off a USB stick on any computer would be great from a portability standpoint
SNi
P.S. You linked my IQN "review"

QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Nov 8 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I think that the default behavior is standard. Usually, you want your personal data to be stored in your home directory. Especially if you're sharing your computer with other people. However, I could make a "portable" version of the application with the asked behavior. It would be very convenient indeed and it's probably very easy to implement. I will take a look in the week-end.

Thanks for your quick feedback btw.

+Quote Post
Frederic Bergero...
post Nov 13 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(SNi @ Nov 10 2010, 02:43 AM) *
That's great... Right now I have it installed on computers at work and at home, which gets into "version" issues (ensuring latest .xml or .rijn file, keeping "synced"), the ability to have and run off a USB stick on any computer would be great from a portability standpoint
SNi
P.S. You linked my IQN "review"

Here is the portable version.

When building this version, I found at least one place where the application crashes systematically (when adding a note on a previous note the very first time). I suspect that the bug is not in the application itself but rather in the version of Qt3 that I have used to build the application. I may try once again to build the latest version of Q... eventually but it's not my priority so don't hold your breath. I have already tried to build it and I failed miserably. Anyway, I think that the application is usable enough.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  iqnotes2.1.0rc1_portable_win32.zip ( 3.49MB ) Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 09:20 AM