dipnlik doesn't have a personal statement currently.
Gender Not Set
Joined: 16-November 04
Profile Views: 193*
Last Seen: 6th January 2005 - 07:17 AM
Local Time: Apr 27 2015, 07:07 AM
13 posts (0 per day)
* Profile views updated each hour
29 Nov 2004
My problems with OZ 3.5.1 (or: what I expected to do with a basic OZ and couldn't figure out how to do it):
1) Can't beam or receive contacts or images to or from my Sony-E T300.
2) Can't install software properly. At least embedded-konsole worked, but xmms, opie-mpegplayer, mp3blaster, qplot, opera, korganizer, lightapplet, subapplet, all were nowhere to be found (not installed?) or non-functional.
3) Can't rename/move/delete icons from the Launcher. Shouldn't a tap-and-hold popup a context menu?
4) What's the language indicator (that appears left of the clock) about? Changed it from EN to PT but didn't notice a thing. No context help available on that. If it is supposed to make accented characters with the thumbboard then please explain me how that works, cause it would be a very welcome addiction.
Don't know if this list is complete, but probably not. Butthings will be added here, you just wait. :^)
My opinion: OZ is good (like a lot of other Linux related stuff), but just like a lot of other Linux related stuff, it lacks some usability.
Suggestions (at least for now -- more to come, probably, in the case I stay with OZ):
- Context menus should be more disseminated, and should not take too long to appear (maybe user configurable time). I have old shortcuts on the DocTab and don't know how to delete them. Expecting tap-and-hold, delete the link, not the file.
- System should be able to do more from scratch, just in case people have bad times configuring their PCs and Zs to talk to each other, and internet and stuff. It would be better for everyone to have more software and uninstall the unneeded than the other way around.
- Trying to add a feed on Package Manager (AKPkg too), the form fields are available. I fill them, press update and nothing. Took some time to figure out that I needed to press New (and reset the form =\ ) before filling the (already enabled) form. Solution: disable the form if New is not pressed, or "press the button automatically" when entering the configure screen.
I'm not a Linux expert, and this is a palmtop. I really expect to do things using the GUI, mainly. On PalmOS and Windows Mobile everything is nice and GUI-oriented, and that's very good. OZ should be that way, it would make things easier for everyone. And I really have high hopes on OZ, that's why I complain -- to try to make it better.
Hope the developers hear my suggestions, and everyone else to coment about these and try to help me to not switch back to Sharp's again, if possible. :^)
Thanks in advance.
27 Nov 2004
Hi all. Having had a lot of troubles with OZ 3.5.1 (so much that I switched back to Sharp 3.10, at least for now), I wrote a tutorial on making the Z available via ssh and accessing the internet when on the cradle. The link is:
Jus want people to see it and make comments, improvements, etc.
dipnlik has no visitors to display.
Other users have left no comments for dipnlik.
There are no friends to display.
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 26th April 2015 - 11:07 PM|