68newyorker doesn't have a personal statement currently.
Gender Not Set
Joined: 31-March 05
Profile Views: 259*
Last Seen: 6th May 2005 - 09:26 AM
Local Time: May 1 2017, 12:26 AM
2 posts (0 per day)
* Profile views updated each hour
31 Mar 2005
After checking out various devices and growing tired of waiting on Pocket PC companies to redesign their devices, I'm pretty much set on picking up a SL-C1000. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to on the forums (you can smack me around if it was because I didn't look hard enough):
1. I have read that the Zaurus can support an external hard drive through its USB Host . The article I found mentioned mounting a Linux drive. I want to use the drive (a large capacity 2.5 laptop drive) as a media drive both for my laptop (Windows 2000) and the Zaurus. Is this possible?
2. How is video playback on this device? Can it handle 640x480 24-30fps divx encoded at reasonably high quality bit rates? Are there benchmarks I can review for this?
3. Are there good quality graphics editing/painting/drawing programs for this device? One of the main things that attracted me to the Toshiba e805 was being able to use its very good 4 inch screen for doing graphics work on the move. I know GIMP is a very good open source program. Is it available for the Zaurus?
4. Purely consequential, but how is console (game) emulation on the zaurus? This is not a necessity but would be nice to have.
Sorry for the newb questions. I've been a technician in the Wintel world for 10 years now but have zippo experience with any Linux device. I would like to move the SL-C1000 as the design is close to perfect for my needs. Pocket PCs have some decent technology but their button placement, orientation and UI sucks. I won't gush about the Zaurus' advantage in these areas. You that use them know it. If the Zaurus can handle at least 2 out of 4 of the above its what I'm going with.
68newyorker has no visitors to display.
Other users have left no comments for 68newyorker.
There are no friends to display.
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 30th April 2017 - 10:26 PM|