Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SL-6000 excitement!
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
Anonymous
I'm so excited about the built in wifi/bluetooth! It will go perfectly with the new T608 bluetooth phone when I'm travelling. The only thing I'm (slightly) disappointed about is that the wireless models don't have 128mb of flash. But, I suppose I can just stick in a large SD card instead.

Has anyone see the new bluetooth portable keyboards coming out? I'm probably going to get one for those times when the thumbboard doesn't quite cut it.

Any news about the release date? dum, da dum... I can hardly wait.
tumnus
The internal flash uses a compressed filesystem. So depending on what you store (application binaries and libraries compress very well, png/jpeg images do not, etc) you might be able to fit 64MB worth of stuff into the 32MB of user writable flash. I'm guessing like with the SL-5600 and C750 that half of the flash is used for the ROM.
KwaiFeh
About the BT keyboard... http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?...on=expand,22890 has an article on one for pocket pc.
Anonymous
Question: Is the 32/32 split fixed? Or can the image be any size, and then the user flash is whatever is left?

i.e. Can you produce a small stripped down custom rom image, and then install everything else in JFFS2?

The internal flash uses a compressed filesystem. So depending on what you store (application binaries and libraries compress very well, png/jpeg images do not, etc) you might be able to fit 64MB worth of stuff into the 32MB of user writable flash. I'm guessing like with the SL-5600 and C750 that half of the flash is used for the ROM.
Anonymous
I have a pre-production SL-6000L. The memory is split 32/32. I don't know if it's fixed, but that's the way that Sharp split it. I also heard that US release is expected in mid to late Q1.
tumnus
i.e.  Can you produce a small stripped down custom rom image, and then install everything else in JFFS2?

With some knowledge you could probably change the split. Sash did that for the C760/860, to reclaim the 32MB taken up by the Japenese-English dictionary.

However the ROM is also a JFFS2 filesystem and while it is readonly normally I imagine you can make it writable like on the 5600 with the command as root:

mount / -o rw,remount

Doesn't even require a reboot smile.gif . It's handy for replacing things in the ROM when you are being careful and then you can make it readonly again to protect it for day to day use. This command makes it readonly again:

mount / -o ro,remount
Anonymous
seeing as the roms for the 760s are coming in around 22mb I doubt there would be much room to play with. 32mb for the rom sounds reasonable if they are packing extra goodies.
tumnus
There also seems to be about 9MB of ROM in these newer models taken up by something else, which I'm guessing is the maintenance kernel and all the other maintenance software that includes the formatting and flashing functions.
Ragnorok
- I just did "mount / -o rw,remount" and wiped the /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic directory, which contains the Japanese dictionary. Sweet!!! Now I have a whopping 24MB in the "ROM" area to put applications into permanently, like opera, BlueZ, and KDEPIM, so they don't consume "User" storage.
- Actually, I could put 2/3 of everything I have loaded on Z into that space. (wolfish grin) There's something attractive about having a fuly customized app suite and 50MB free in main storage.
- Stunning, to be able to just re-organize stuff like that! Thanks Tumnus! You're just a font of useful information...
witzgall
Hi;

I just looked and did not find that directory: /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic on my sl-6000.

Chris

QUOTE(Ragnorok @ May 26 2005, 03:54 PM)
- I just did "mount / -o rw,remount" and wiped the /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic directory, which contains the Japanese dictionary.  Sweet!!!  Now I have a whopping 24MB in the "ROM" area to put applications into permanently, like opera, BlueZ, and KDEPIM, so they don't consume "User" storage.
- Actually, I could put 2/3 of everything I have loaded on Z into that space.  (wolfish grin)  There's something attractive about having a fuly customized app suite and 50MB free in main storage.
- Stunning, to be able to just re-organize stuff like that!  Thanks Tumnus!  You're just a font of useful information...
Jcroto1
QUOTE(witzgall @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)
Hi;

I just looked and did not find that directory: /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic on my sl-6000.

Chris

- I just did "mount / -o rw,remount" and wiped the /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic directory, which contains the Japanese dictionary.  Sweet!!!  Now I have a whopping 24MB in the "ROM" area to put applications into permanently, like opera, BlueZ, and KDEPIM, so they don't consume "User" storage.
- Actually, I could put 2/3 of everything I have loaded on Z into that space.  (wolfish grin)  There's something attractive about having a fuly customized app suite and 50MB free in main storage.
- Stunning, to be able to just re-organize stuff like that!  Thanks Tumnus!  You're just a font of useful information...

The SL-6000 does not have the Japanese dictionary on it. I think only the C seires has it.
witzgall
Silly me, I figured that you were talking about the sl-6000. Must have been the name of this thread wink.gif

QUOTE(Jcroto1 @ Jun 3 2005, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE(witzgall @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)
Hi;

Chris

The SL-6000 does not have the Japanese dictionary on it. I think only the C seires has it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.