Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspend/resume Kills Processes Using Cf
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
gojira
All processes using a filesystem on the CF card are killed and the filesystem is remounted on suspend/resume. This makes CFs unusable for general use.

I've looked but can't find much on this issue. There are a couple of old list posts, but no answers (1, 2).

/etc/pcmcia/ide is responsible for the kill and remount. See the Linux PCMCIA HOWTO. /etc/pcmcia/ide stop kills and umounts, and /etc/pcmcia/ide start mounts, but /etc/pcmcia/ide suspend/resume do nothing, so for some reason stop/start is being used, rather than suspend/resume.

NO_FUSER=y can be used to skip the fuser -k so that processes aren't killed and filesystems aren't umounted if busy, but then the filesystem gets messed up, so presumably the driver can't handle a suspend/resume.

cardctl suspend makes the card unavailable, but doesn't umount or kill. cardctl resume kills procs and reenables access. I haven't tested how /etc/pcmcia/ide is being called in these cases.

zimager and musicplayer cope ok, so presumably they don't leave files open and don't chdir.

I've tried 2 CF cards, both have the problem (and one MMC, which is fine).

Does anyone have any info on this? In particular:

Is this standard linux behaviour i.e. does it happen on other archetectures? If it's zaurus specific, does it affect all models/kernels? Is cardctl called on suspend/resume and how? If not, who calls /etc/pcmcia/ide? Does it affect all CF cards? It would make microdrives less useful if so...

(I did buy a SanDisk SD 1GB card originally, but had to return it because of the usual SD problem. Anyone using a SanDisk Ultra II SD 1GB? They might be ok if they use a different controller...)

Thanks.
lardman
My understanding is that this the kernel behaviour for the Sharp version of 2.4.18, but it can be altered (to not eject the cards) fairly easily. Mickeyl posted a reply to a similar query a while back, possibly in the OpenZaurus part of the forum.

Regards,

Si
maslovsky
As far as I remember this is a general problem of 2.4.x ARM kernel and it's not fixed...
gojira
I found an older thread on this, so I'll use that for all further replies.

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.