Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: File Type Association On C860
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Cxx0 General discussions
sornette
Hi,
I seem to have lost all file types / programs associations on my C860 with its original Sharp ROM.

It doesn't know anymore how to open a .txt file for instance.

Is there a file somewhere that maps mime/types to given applications ?
Thanks!
qx773
Do you have a file named:

/home/QtPalmtop/etc/mime.types

What does it contain? I have attached my copy.
kahm
Do you know what file actually associates the registered mime types (the mime.types file) with applications? I can't find any way of picking a specific app for a file extension...
qx773
/home/QtPalmtop/etc/mime.types is the file that you need to modify if you want to associate a different application with a particular file extension in the file browser. You must then reboot. I tested this by commenting out the:

application/x-troff-me me

line in the mime.types file and adding the me extension to:

text/plain asc me txt c cc h hh cpp hpp

Sometimes I see files named, "read.me", which should be opened as a plain text file. I found that I had to reboot to make this change active. Perhaps there is some way to do this without rebooting, but I do not know what that is.
Stubear
The .desktop file has the association between mime type and apps.

If you want an app to open a specific fiel extension you will need to create/edit the MimeType= (and probably the MimeTypeIcon=) line in the app's .desktop file

Stu
kahm
QUOTE(Stubear @ Feb 12 2005, 02:33 AM)
The .desktop file has the association between mime type and apps.

If you want an app to open a specific fiel extension you will need to create/edit the MimeType= (and probably the MimeTypeIcon=) line in the app's .desktop file

Stu

Perfect! The version of Opera in the Cacko feed associates itself with PDFs, which seems to block qpdf2. I can't just click on a PDF file - I have to open qpdf2, then find the file.

Hopefully removing the PDF association in Opera will fix it...
Stubear
You may need to add the PDF association to the qdf2 .desktop file (if its not already there)
kahm
QUOTE(Stubear @ Feb 18 2005, 02:19 PM)
You may need to add the PDF association to the qdf2 .desktop file (if its not already there)

The problem seems to stem from the fact that it is listed in both the Opera desktop file, and the qpdf2 desktop file. In both cases that I tried (Cacko 1.22, and 1.22 lite) Opera was installed first. What I wonder about is why Opera has it associated at all - all it seems to be able to do with PDFs is download them. Opera also has things like Shockware associated with it, and we can't view those at ALL on the Z. (Sadly.)

Removing the PDF entry from the Opera desktop file did fix the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.