Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Uses Ruby?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
lareya
Just want to know who uses Ruby, and what kind of developement environ you use, command line, vi, VisiScript or Komander, etc. Or do you use it on your linux/win/desktop machine and then port to the Z?

Just want to know how big Ruby is in the Z world.

Thanks!

Lareya
iamasmith
Well I started to learn Ruby and was using my Z for it using VisiScript, I then ran foul of the standard learning exercise... needed a project to apply it to.

I think I might come back to Ruby if I encounter a project that does nearly everything I need but I need to modify it.
lareya
So it is just the two of us then? How disappointing! I was hoping there were a few more of us Ruby learners/users

Lareya
ev1l
QUOTE(lareya @ Feb 21 2005, 11:21 AM)
So it is just the two of us then? How disappointing!  I was hoping there were a few more of us Ruby learners/users

I'm about to start on a project using Ruby on Rails as a backend. Don't know a thing about Ruby yet (which is why i took the project in the first place).
jim-in-baltimore
QUOTE(ev1l @ Feb 21 2005, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE(lareya @ Feb 21 2005, 11:21 AM)
So it is just the two of us then? How disappointing!  I was hoping there were a few more of us Ruby learners/users

I'm about to start on a project using Ruby on Rails as a backend. Don't know a thing about Ruby yet (which is why i took the project in the first place).

Ruby looks great for object oriented stuff. I have a serious hankering to learn it.... unfortunately, it comes out nearly dead last in execution speed when compared to things like python & perl. I hear that the parrot engine (which is the underlying engine for perl 6) is going to get a ruby front end. In that case, all languages which have a parrot front end interface (they might be calling it a language module or some such techospeak) will have the same execution speed. I've seen a number of perl types praising ruby. If you've written perl with objects, you'd know why.

I checked on ruby under parrot recently, and, the project doesn't appear to be making progress. I guess the parrot internals are still their focus.
vputz
Beautiful language. But, being a collector of obscure languages (OCaml, Eiffel, etc), when it comes to the sort of things I would use Ruby for, I wind up turning to Python instead. Having such a huge standard library and user base makes Python just more compelling, which is almost a pity, because I think Ruby is a cleaner, more elegant language. Ah well.

-->VPutz
padishah_emperor
I dabbled for a while, I colleague who was a fan of it told me about it and I had a play under solaris, I've been playing more with objective-c though.

Is Ruby on the Z?? Could someone point me to the place, I'd imagine it would work on my device too with a little convincing.
lareya
I think this is the latest on SourceForge
Ruby for Zaurus

At least that is where I got mine

Lareya
rgzu
Most of these languages are more complex than I need so I was very happy once I managed to get a version of REXX working on my zaurus :-) It even works with visiscript up to a point.
DeGT
QUOTE(lareya @ Feb 23 2005, 03:19 AM)
I think this is the latest on SourceForge
Ruby for Zaurus

At least that is where I got mine

Lareya

hmm, this link doesn't work for me. I am always being redirected to microsoft.com blink.gif
lareya
My bad, I must have screwed up the link. Try this or if it doesn't work google sourceforge + zaurus + ruby. That is how I found it again.

Zaurus Projects

HOWEVER, the ms page is all on your side of the fence! smile.gif

Lareya
MtnMichael
Just noticed this thread (haven't been to this site in a while) and I use Ruby for quite a few things. Really like the language. Currently developing a server side app (using my Z as the testing ground) and have some ideas for development for the Z community. :-)

I just got done compiling source from the latest stable releast (1.8.2) directly on the Z. I have a Sharp 3.10 ROM. Compiler I used is this one:
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1467

I'd be happy to pass along build if anyone is interested. It compiled clean right from the start. :-D

- Michael
lareya
Sounds good !
The latests ruby seems to be hard to find. can you U/L it to the ZSI software site? That way it can be found easily by all.

I am still going through the tutorials, and also experimenting with rails. I am truyly a noob, so it is slow going, but so far I think it is great, however, I don't have much to compare it with.

Lareya
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.