Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ompi Feedback
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
nilch
Since gettng the Cacko 1.22 lite, I gave up on the Sharp email app and have been using the OmPI as my sole POP3 email client.

It works, pretty good, but there are some obvious and some minor factors which I felt if ironed out would make this a even more usefull apps - as usefull as KO/KA PI.

Some of the points again maybe because I havent been able to figure it out correctly, so forgive me for pointing at them .

OMPI - feedback

1) When OMPI gets started - the Local Folders is in a folded tree view state - it would be better to show the view with the folders underneath it like Drafts / Inbox (service name) / Outgoing / sent / sendfailed folders showing up. Otherwise have to repeatedly click the Local folders to open up the tree view.

2) The first time - when on a mail send failure or on saving a mail to drafts - the 'sendfailed' or 'drafts' or 'sent' folders are created but dont really show up unless you close OMPI and start again - its then that the created folders show up. So the first time the user can't really make out what happened - whether the saved mail was really saved to draft or not or whether on send the mail was actually sent or not.

3) When a new email is composed and I press OK button the mail doesn't immediately show up in Outgoing folders - one has to click on any other folder and come back to outgoing to refresh the view. It would be better to have the folders refreshed instantly on mail save.

4) In the first window on the menu bar - the 'Get new messages' and 'Send queued messages' icons are of two different kinds. Wouldn't it be more aesthetically correct to have similar icons - one with up arrow and one with down to signify send and get respectively ?
(This is just an aesthetic bug :-).

5) In compose view - there is no button on the top menu bar for 'SEND', nor in the Menu. There is no way to open an outgoing email in view mode and then send it. One has to close the view and send the email from the list view.

6) In the list view of the outgoing box how will I send just one email from a list of several. The send mail button asks if all queued emails are to be sent or cancel ? Surely there must be a way to send individual emails from the outbox.

7) In the Outgoing box - there is no contextual menu of 'Edit this email'. How does a user go back and edit an already composed email waiting to be sent before actually sending it out ? Does it always have to be in drafts folder to be editable ?

8) If there is an email send failure - a copy of the email goes to the 'sendfailed' folder as well as a copy in Outgoing - thus creating two copies. Shouldn't the outgoing copy then be deleted ?

9) The SAVE button and the OK button on the compose email seems a bit confusing. If I save it goes to the drafts box, but doesn't close the email view. Hence to close it if I click on the OK button, then the email goes to the Outbox folder.
Ultimately I am left with the same email in Drafts as well as outbox folders. To add to the complexity, if I edit the email in Drafts and then press OK, I have another copy of the same email in Outbox along with the first.

10) The new emails that are fetched (and stored in Local folders) does not show up bolded or flagged in any was a New Mail - to differentiate from the earlier read emails.

11) In the list view, there does not seem to be flag or icon to denote which email has attachments and which do not.

Note : Throughout my use of Ompi, i have closed the summary view of the emails at the bottom (which shows the To, From, Subject fields to save more space for actual viewing). Also all this is only with POP3 emails, I haven't used IMAP. Usage is on the C750 with Ompi installed to main memory.

But lastly to sign off on this - thanks Zautrix for your great efforts and such a really usefull suite of apps (its not just one application after all) to all zaurus users.
In fact as a suite of apps - this is probably the best collection of them all - apart from some standalone apps which shine out too.
zautrix
I agree, that there could be some things much better, but
the main purpose is using OM/Pi with IMAP accounts.
Such that some of the pop-peoblems will not be fixed, sorry.

1)
Will not be changed.
If one is using IMAP only, no local folders are needed at startup.

2)
Yes should be fixed.

3)
Fixed in 2.0.13

4)
Will not be changed - I like different icons.

5)
Will no be changed.

6)
The outbox is for collecting mails to send, not for collecting draft mails.
Will not be changed.

7)
Will not be changed.

8)
Yes, I agree.
Fixed in 2.0.13

9)
Will not be changed.

10)
The "read" flag is only used and displayed for online IMAP mails.
Will not be changed.

11)
Maybe this will be added later.

z.
nilch
You seem to have answered most of my queries and of course some are left as is.

Based on your feedback, I updated to the newest version OmPI - 2.0.14

There are a few points again (if I may keep badgering you with bug reports)

1) When I do a Forward email - and then select address from the contacts after pressing the "To" button and do an OK on all the contacts selected - a new mail compose screen opens up - and the address are not populated in the "Forward Email" that I opened in the first place.

How do I forward an email to multiple contacts from the contacts database ?

2) This point I may have missed earlier
In the view mail details screen, I get a Next email (Tick button) to navigate one mail down each time, but there is no corresponing Previous email button to nagivate up again.
zautrix
QUOTE(nilch @ Mar 11 2005, 08:42 PM)
You seem to have answered most of my queries and of course some are left as is.

Based on your feedback, I updated to the newest version OmPI - 2.0.14

There are a few points again (if I may keep badgering you with bug reports)

1) When I do a Forward email - and then select address from the contacts after pressing the "To" button and do an OK on all the contacts selected - a new mail compose screen opens up - and the address are not populated in the "Forward Email" that I opened in the first place.

That is a bug. Thanks for reporting.

I will fix it next week.

z.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.