Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Zaurus Mystery
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Security and Networking
mammothrept
So I was walking through Akihabara today and dropped in the Linux Cafe for a coffee and some WiFi. Akihabara, if you don't already know, is the computer Mecca of Tokyo and there really is a Linux Cafe although really it is just a rebranded Pronto. Pronto is a chain of coffee shops a bit down scale from Starbucks but with free WiFi.

So anyway, I fire up my C3000 and try to log on. Now I've done this before and it has always worked. The required ESS is pronto but otherwise, the settings are standard Non-ESS, Any, Any. Automatic DHCP, no WEP, no PPoE, yadda yadda. Only this time it doesn't work.

I ask this older guy with a WinXP laptop what WiFi settings he is using. Even with my bad Japanese and his worse English we confirm that my settings are right. Hmmm. OK, I decide to ask two younger guys at the table next to me. Each of them is using a W2K laptop and both have browsers open. They must know something. Their English is ever so slightly better but they still seemed a bit confused by something. And this is the comedic bit.

After they looked over my WiFi settings and said yes, it should work, they did something that could only happen in Japan. Both of them reached into backpacks under the table and pulled out a Zaurus. The pudgy, shaggy haired guy pulled a C3000 and the gaunt, shaggy haired guy an 860. In the States, what are the odds that you would run into one stranger with a Zaurus, much less two?

So here is the mystery part. They fired up and opened networking and each had the same settings. Three Zauruses (two C3000s and an 860) with three different known-good WiFi cards. None of the Zauruses are getting online even though all have in the past. But the three laptops, which are all using the same settings as the Zauruses, are on without a problem. What gives? Laptops good, Zauruses bad?

Just in case a little more technical detail will help, here is the setup at the Linux Cafe. Two large rooms, each with a Toshiba WiFi access point. One room has an ESS of pronto and the other of tsunami. I ran Kismet to check the settings and I could see both of them with heaps of packets and good signal strength. No WEP. One thing I did notice with the Zauruses is that when you initiated the WiFi connection it would briefly (maybe two seconds) recognize the correct ESS but then flip to 'Unknown' ESS and lose the connection.

Anyway, after 20 minutes, I gave up on this, finished my coffee and walked out the door. On the way out I passed another guy with a Zaurus (an 860 I think) setting up. I just kept going.
marshmn
Excellent Zaurus story! There should be a separate catgeory for Zaurus stories like this one!

No idea why all Zaurii would stop working one day... suppose they may have changed their access point to one which for some reason is incompatible with the WiFi driver(s) in the Zaurii?

Matt
euroclie
I hope they'll fix this before I get there next month! I'd hate not to be able to drink a coffee there and do some surfing & mail as I usually do whenever I travel to Tokyo!

Maybe we can drink a coffe together, mammothrept, even if the WiFi access isn't working by then? wink.gif

Last time I went there, the WiFi access was working OK on a 4150 iPAQ PPC and a Sony Clie TH55 PDA... I know that Sony stopped their PDA business (and it seems most shops in Akihabara have closed or dramatically reduced their PDA sections recently after Sony's announcement), but I do hope that they won't restrict WiFi access to Windows computers! blink.gif

mammothrept
It has to be something technical but it isn't in the settings. Six machines with the same settings but only the laptops work. 802.11b is a standard and the Zaurus gear should implement it the same as the laptops. I don't care much about the lack of access in one coffee shop. Open WiFi hotspots are more common in Tokyo than bowls of rice. What I am intrigued by is the possibility that there is something systematically different or wrong with the way the Zauruses do WiFi. And it can't be in the CF WiFi cards. I have a Buffalo Tech card and the other two Zaureses had different flavors of Planax cards. All no go.

Matt, let me know when you are coming to Tokyo and I'll try to meet you in Akihabara.

QUOTE(marshmn @ Mar 6 2005, 11:02 PM)
Excellent Zaurus story! There should be a separate catgeory for Zaurus stories like this one!

No idea why all Zaurii would stop working one day... suppose they may have changed their access point to one which for some reason is incompatible with the WiFi driver(s) in the Zaurii?

Matt
kckong
I am having a 3000 and 860 model, also facing problem on accessing public Wifi Network. But my IBM laptop is working fine. Compared the 2 settings are the same. Wondering why Z so "special" and cannot access public wifi network when i on the move! This is the Main Objective I buy Z... Please advice.
xjqian
anybody tried 6000L/W with built-in wifi?
undrwater
QUOTE(xjqian @ Mar 7 2005, 01:18 AM)
anybody tried 6000L/W with built-in wifi?

I haven't yet found a "free" open network yet since I got my 6000L, but I know when I connect to the AP at Starbucks, I get the T-Mobile setup web page.

I'm actually having difficulties accessing my AP at home with the 6000L. I have both a wireless router, and a stand-alone AP...the router connects me OK, but the AP refuses! I can't ping the router/gateway (btw, I've tried with a few different models of AP).

Maybe I can test a few things here at home...is there a way to trace packets and determine where they're getting stopped?
iamasmith
QUOTE(undrwater @ Mar 7 2005, 04:22 PM)
Maybe I can test a few things here at home...is there a way to trace packets and determine where they're getting stopped?

Possibly but dmesg my yield enough information to assist with the cause. Are you getting anything logged ?
undrwater
Here's the dmesg output:

CODE
FI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x01:var=0x01:b/t=1/1
CFI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x02:var=0x02:b/t=1/1
PRI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x03:var=0x01:b/t=1/4
STA:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x04:var=0x01:b/t=1/12
PRI-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x02:b/t=1/1
STA-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x02:b/t=1/1
STA-MFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x01:var=0x01:b/t=1/1
Prism2 card SN: \x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00
usbdcore: usbdcore 0.1 035 2002-06-12 20:00 (dbg="")
net_fd 0.1 035 2002-06-12 20:00 (dbg="",alwaysup=0,OUT=64,IN=64)
vendorID: 4dd productID: 9032
pxa_bi 0.1-alpha 035 2002-06-12 20:00 (dbg="")
bi_modinit: call udc_startup_events
bi_device_event: call udc_enable
bi_device_event: call udc_all_interrupts
linkstatus=CONNECTED  

that looks a bit different than a dmesg i'd seen earlier which had messages similar to:

CODE
wlan0: hfa384x_cmd: cmd_queue full

So...what does this mean...I googled that message and found a couple of unhelpful sites.
seinfield
Hi, the same inverted problem but in America
i received a corega pcmcia wifi card from japan, drivers of course in japanese, it was working before leaving japan, but i canĀ“t use this wifi card with my win2k laptop (Mexico), it tries to connect, it connects for a second then disconnects. I tested with another laptop with winxp and the same problem.

Any idea?
seinfield
i forgot, i have a corega APRS-11 wifi router (of course 100% japanese) working at home (Mexico), i will try to change the SSID to no name and try to conect with the zaurus (c700, symbol wifi card).
Trying to reproduce the problem.

Regards
bluedevils
Wasn't there a problem where 802.11b on an 802.11g wireless router didn't work? I can't remember if it was wifi card specific or specific to the zaurus. Maybe the cafe switched to 802.11g
Chero
QUOTE(bluedevils @ Mar 8 2005, 06:56 AM)
Wasn't there a problem where 802.11b on an 802.11g wireless router didn't work?  I can't remember if it was wifi card specific or specific to the zaurus.  Maybe the cafe switched to 802.11g

I'm using an 11b(11Mbps) card for my zaurus on a 54g(54Mbps) router without problems. My PC uses a 54g card and my laptop a 108g (108Mbps) pcmcia.
Quite a mixture, but it all works.

(just to say the problem won't be zaurus specific)

Chero
undrwater
I didn't notice...in the story in Japan...were the Z's able to "see" the AP? Either through the network settings, or maybe kismet?

These maybe seperate issues...
bluedevils
Thanks. I think it might have been the netgear cards.

QUOTE(Chero @ Mar 8 2005, 04:47 AM)
I'm using an 11b(11Mbps) card for my zaurus on a 54g(54Mbps) router without problems. My PC uses a 54g card and my laptop a 108g (108Mbps) pcmcia.
Quite a mixture, but it all works.

(just to say the problem won't be zaurus specific)

Chero
undrwater
Replying from a free hotspot at a coffee house in Long Beach, CA.

They're using a Belkin 802.11g AP.

Signal's pretty weak on the 6000, but I have nothing to compare to.
lwong
I just came back from Hong Kong and my 6000 can't get on the network in coffee shops in HK nor the T-mobile network in SFO. I was very dissapointed. I was able to get on to T-mobile in Annapolis, maryland last year though.

Also found a strange thing today that the IrDA on my 6000 will not work with the IrDA port on my 2nd cell phone (SHARP GZ100). Borrowing my collegue's nokia phone, it worked with both Sharp product. What the heck is going on with Sharp?!!!!

Frank Wong
aki
I haven't had the good fortune to find a convenient free hotspot for extensive surfing, but I have connected without problems at Barnes & Noble. Their hotspot is not free, so I only got as far as the signon page. No issues associating.
fastscirocco
Took my 3000 with me to WMU today, logged in fine to their on campus wifi.

So mine is working fine with my wifi with wep enabled at home and the hotspot at the campus.

my card is a buffalo 802.11b

hth
undrwater
QUOTE(undrwater @ Mar 8 2005, 01:07 PM)
Replying from a free hotspot at a coffee house in Long Beach, CA.

They're using a Belkin 802.11g AP.

Signal's pretty weak on the 6000, but I have nothing to compare to.

I have to add something to this...

When i connected to the hotspot, I didn't get the usual blue/green card identifier...I got the globe with the red arrow that signifies initializing, and after being impatient (maybe 30 seconds), I opened Opera and browsed to google...

The initializing globe changed to a solid blue globe...but never changed to a blue/green card.
mandjab
Hello

I have the same problem with my Z760 and my Buffalo 802.11b. I'm not able to connect my Z automatically to any free hot spot in paris. i'm very disapointed about this. my friend connects easily with is Tungsten T3 on the same Hotspot

Any News ? mad.gif
nilch
I connect fine to my Home AP (wifi-G based) with WEP on,
but when I am at a free wifi hotspot (Bryantpark in New York) I can't connect no matter how I specify the parameters with iwconfig
(I need to do a iwconfig with my Symbol Spectrum card on my C1000 since it lacks the spectrum_cf binding drivers)

Is this because it cant connect to a wifi-B network or is it because of no WEP keys ?
Strange that with the Zaurus I can't access the free wifi hotspot too.

Will try with other free networks sometime (like Panera etc)
jfv
My experience with these public networks is that you have to open a browser to connect to them. Do the following: Turn your Zaurus on and insert your wifi card, don't start the network. Open a browser and go to any page. The Zaurus will ask you if you want to connect to a network, say yes and select a network with SSID:any (you need to have one of those preprepared). At this point it should connect and either take you to the page you selected or to their splash page which may ask you to register. I guess now it depends on which network it is.

Felipe

p.s. My experience is with the Sharp ROM, don't know about others.
dlichterman
At my school there is a login screen and I needed to update opera to make it work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.