Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxrom Installation
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
rikiya
Hello,

I have just finished installing pdaXrom on my 860, and I think it went fine except when I rebooted, the "terminal" kind of thing that comes up at the starting shows that I need a login and a password... Is there anything that is supposed to go in there? I made a password thing for my zaurus when I had cacko before, but it seems to not work that way.

Any quick help would be greatly appreciated!
deckard73
Hello

QUOTE(rikiya @ Mar 25 2005, 07:00 PM)
Hello,

I have just finished installing pdaXrom on my 860, and I think it went fine except when I rebooted, the "terminal" kind of thing that comes up at the starting shows that I need a login and a password... Is there anything that is supposed to go in there? I made a password thing for my zaurus when I had cacko before, but it seems to not work that way.

Any quick help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello. The first login name is root without password
Then change it with the passwd command

Maybe I dont understand your problem right

ciao
Enno
rikiya
Hmmm, I used root as login, and then there comes this thing like "tty1" and then below, there is a # sign and I think it's telling me to type in a command... is there anything that I have to do?
plcg
QUOTE(rikiya @ Mar 25 2005, 07:10 PM)
Hmmm, I used root as login, and then there comes this thing like "tty1" and then below, there is a # sign and I think it's telling me to type in a command... is there anything that I have to do?

Type "startx" and then X11 (the gui) will appear smile.gif
Is it what you want ?

plcg
rikiya
Thanks! Now it works! It's a good thing to have such quick replies too!

Thanks again
rikiya
Now it's installed and working, but I've noticed there is no applications installed, and found out I have to install them manually, but seeing the countless application in the ipkg feed, I was wondering if anybody created a package of the main application for pdaXrom. If so, where would I find it? I could just start working and installing each program that I need one by one, but you know, I am not that patient smile.gif

Thanks
pgas
there are some packages install by default no (say abiword scite dillo package manager) etc.. ?

You don't have to install the applications one by one just select the applications and press the button. they will be installed one after the other.
rikiya
nope, no applications installed... and I probably have to install mozilla or some other web browser onto my CF card and install onto the zaurus and then start installing the other programs...
pgas
don't you have a menu button a bar? or something on the desktop?
is it just plain X?

Something bad must have happened......

in the console do you have something in /usr/share/applications? (.desktop)?
rikiya
No... I believe nothing is on there... There is only a couple of things in the system tools section, the usual setting and stuff, a thing in the internet place called PPP dealer, I don't think I need that, and Xterm in the other section.

Should I re-do pdaXrom? If so, can I get the right place to get the rom from, and I used the pdaXrom sites, download section (the mirror one) to do the one I did right now.
pgas
hmm strange, even with older release you should see more things

take the one here: http://mirror1.pdaxrom.org/rc9/

(kathrin.zip)

Follow the instruction (see the pinned thread RC9 is out, you can ignore the part about partitioning if you want).

Did you say yes to erase the user partition.
rikiya
Yes, I did say yes to erase the user partition, was that the mistake?
pgas
ehe no, if you answered no then some old file might have cause problems....

Maybe the file you download have a problem.

try to reflash, I never heard somethin like this....
rikiya
Now it works! Thank you to plcq and pgas for helping me! I think the problem was something with the Cacko rom that was on my 860 before and tried to update to a pdaXrom or something, but it's all good cause now it works!

Thanks!
rikiya
Hmmmm it all works like a charm except for my Linksys WCF12 wireless card... I've searched for help, but if anyone is willing to show me a place, or how to start running my card, that would be great. It seems as though it recognizes my card because on the card button, when I press it it shows that I have a Linksys Wireless card in the cf slot. I also found the Wifi monitor thing and it says that there is connection, but somehow I can't go on the web with dillo, and is there any button on the bottom bar that I press and my card connects? (like in the Qtopia ones)?
Laze
Try using the System tools -> Lan&Wifi tool and setup your wireless network. Then it should work.
rikiya
Well, I have tried the LAN+Wifi settings, and the Wifi monitor shows that I have connection, and I'm positive it knows it's a Linksys Wifi CF card, but dillo still doesn't work and I can't ping google or anything. I set the wifi settings to wireless, automatic IP and "any" essid because I have no settings, but it still doesn't work. I have Kathrin RC9 I think with a 860 if any of this information helps. My wifi card worked before with Cacko and the sharp Rom, so there is a low chance of problems in my card or my AP...

Sorry for taking your guys' time!

Thanks
rikiya
Still not working... the wifi indicator shows that I have a connection, but does that also mean that it's eating away my battery? There seems to be no on, or off for network button...
pgas
you can use the card applet to eject the card.

In a terminal if you do iwconfig do you see you card?
if yes it means that your network settings are wrong.
rikiya
When I type iwconfig on terminal, this comes out

# iwconfig
lo no wireless entensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"linksys" Nickname:"zaurus"
Mode:Managed Access Point : (Mac address is on here)...

etc. with the speed, noise, link and things.
pgas
So the problem is your network settings.
Do you use wep? Did you check that you made no error with the key, can you ping you access point? etc etc..
Laze
Did you make sure that you set the network type to wireless in the wifi+lan settings program? It looks like you have set the settings correctly and saved.
rikiya
Suddenly, this morning, it worked! I still don't understand how the wifi is on and off, is it like while the card is in, it's having a connection and taking up my battery, and when I take it out it stops?

I don't like the dillo browser very much, so I will switch to Firefox, and things to personify my pdaXrom, so now I have to learn to install programs and stuff, so I'll do a search for that.

Again, thank you very much for all your help, in using my new, lovely ROM, pdaXrom!
pgas
ehe I've just remember that I wrote a line or two about installing packages:

http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Pdaxro...alling_Packages
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.