Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cacko3k Feedback
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
kahm
I'm making a new topic that we can use for feedback on the Cacko3k-alpha roms, just to keep out of the Slackware-guys hair.

I've done a complete reset on my 3k and can't duplicate the crash after starting the wireless connection for the first time. Next step is to re-flash the Z and try again.

The DHCP problem that I had has, embarrassingly, gone away. I can properly DHCP from any device on my network now, including the previously problematic 860. The last time I saw the issue is when I tried the C3000 for the very first time. *sigh*

I've got tomorrow set aside for playing with the 3000 rom, so I'll try and build those 3k friendly packages for Opera, Apache+PHP, and Mysql.
svaslot
Hi Kahm,

I have a SL-C3000 since for mounth. I'm happy about this release cacko3k-alpha.
I have a stupid question. But is it possible to a have a downloadable copy or not at this time ??

Stéphane
rolleyes.gif
euroclie
Hi Stéphane,

QUOTE(svaslot @ Apr 11 2005, 10:49 AM)
I have a stupid question. But is it possible to a have a downloadable copy or not at this time ??

I'm afraid Andy made it clear that he intended to limit the number of alpha testers to only 5, so that he may start to get some feedback while he's (hopefully) enjoying two weeks of holidays but he didn't go for a public release yet, because he fears that some users may be upset or disappointed by the first unavoidables bugs and glitches with this alpha release, since he won't be able to provide any fix before he comes back.

All in all, given the high quality of this alpha release, though, I'm fairly confident that within a week or so after his return, there will certainly be something to download for everyone! tongue.gif
slackwaresupport
i put tree!explorerqt on. do i need to install a font, all i got is boxes..
jbbrs
Is there any version for the C1000 on the plans?
sriley
slackwaresupport: In the uppr left corner of the application you'll see the menus. Choose the entry farthest to the right, looks like two boxes followed by an underlined V. Go down to Language>, choose English.
slackwaresupport
ahhhhh, yes.. thank you
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 11 2005, 03:57 AM)
I've got tomorrow set aside for playing with the 3000 rom, so I'll try and build those 3k friendly packages for Opera, Apache+PHP, and Mysql.

I've almost finished building a 3k-friendly Opera 7.55 package... I've got a few cosmetic changes (background color) to make to the button's icons (I feel that 14x14 pixel is too small for my taste, so I have replaced the icons by bigger 32x32 icons), a few checks to make on my pre/postint scripts, and check also if it does install without complaining using the GUI ipk installer, but things are looking good so far!

I should be able to upload it tomorrow... smile.gif
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 12 2005, 01:38 AM)
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 11 2005, 03:57 AM)

I've almost finished building a 3k-friendly Opera 7.55 package... I've got a few cosmetic changes (background color) to make to the button's icons (I feel that 14x14 pixel is too small for my taste, so I have replaced the icons by bigger 32x32 icons), a few checks to make on my pre/postint scripts, and check also if it does install without complaining using the GUI ipk installer, but things are looking good so far!

I should be able to upload it tomorrow... smile.gif

Well, since I went to the trouble of doing it before I saw your post, here's Opera 7.25 from the Cacko feed, fixed for the 3k.
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 12 2005, 07:06 AM)
Well, since I went to the trouble of doing it before I saw your post, here's Opera 7.25 from the Cacko feed, fixed for the 3k.
Hey, you're really too fast for me! wink.gif

By chance, I worked on v7.55 so at least it's not completely useless even if (more than) a little redundant... At least now I have the tools setup properly to produce a .ipk package, which will certainly be useful later! biggrin.gif

One question remains, though: should I remove entirely the voice stuff or not? I expect most C3000 users won't use it, so it could be nice to save a bit of space, but then it would be more difficult for the persons who want to try voice commands...
The voice command won't work if you don't install the whole IBM package, I think, in which case Opera would automatically be installed anyway (but with the usual problems), so it might be "safe" to remove the few voice-related files in the Opera package...

Otherwise the icons are now rendering much better (but then, I'm no artist, I merely used the icons of my current Opera skin on the PC), there's just a small (temporary) problem, probably with the transparency, on the help icon xpm file, while the application launches, but the icon displays fine afterward...

If someone has better icons (preferably not copyrighted...) just let me know and I'll be glad to include them in the package instead of the current ones. I simply couldn't calibrate my screen precisely enough to use the default 14x14 icons... wink.gif

I've added scripts (thanks kahm!) for installation (creation of the required directories and symlinks), and for uninstallation as well (removal of all the symlinks but not the /hdd2/Applications/.opera* directories and their content so as to keep the bookmarks intact), this should install and uninstall rather cleanly.

I'd be interested to know if this works: i.e. if you keep your bookmarks after uninstallating/reinstalling, if you don't get strange error messages or unexpected behavior, etc.

You can get the ipk file here. Thanks for your feedback... be it on Cacko-3k or Sharp ROM!
Cyril92
I can't hardly wait for the beta release of this cacko (tsatsko ?) for 3k.

Have two question for all of you 3k users :

Did you try and manage to use VNCserver on c3k ? (it freezes)
Did you try programs that need SDL ? (does it need a special compilation ?)
slackwaresupport
how can i decrease the size of the icons and such.. like a bigger desktop, i guess you would say. ive looked in the tab settings and all, cant find anything on size.
euroclie
QUOTE(Cyril92 @ Apr 12 2005, 07:04 PM)
Did you try and manage to use VNCserver on c3k ? (it freezes)
No, didn't try that yet... if you have a good howto to help me setup this I might have a look, though.

Did you try programs that need SDL ? (does it need a special compilation ?)

Didn't try this either, but if I remember correctly, the Interstellar Flames demo requires SDL, right? I was able to run the demo on the 3k (Sharp ROM), but didn't give it more than a passing glance, just enough time to say "Wow!" when looking at the graphics, and "Boooh!" for the gameplay (landscape vs. portrait and resolution issue). It was displaying allright though, so it could be a good test to see if I can run this with Cacko3k.

QUOTE(slackwaresupport @ Apr 12 2005, 07:18 PM)
how can i decrease the size of the icons and such.. like a bigger desktop, i guess you would say. ive looked in the tab settings and all, cant find anything on size.
You're talking about the launcher icons, aren't you? I haven't had the time yet to look at this so it's a blind guess, but if it's anything like Opera's menu bar buttons icons, chances are that replacing all the icons by smaller bitmaps might help. I had to do that to change the size and get bigger buttons in Opera 7.55... The trick is that if you change the size, especially when the original or resulting icons are small (and almost every icon I know fall in the "small" category), then resizing the icon usually lower its crispness and visual qualities, which means basically that you have to re-design them manually. This certainly requires more art skills than I'm capable of! :-(
sriley
euroclie: Opera 7.55 looks and works great on my 3000/alpha1. I always disliked Opera's toolbar icons, this has a much better feel. I'll try it on my 760 this evening.

Thanks!
slackwaresupport
looking real good. im typing from it now :> idont think i have any beefs about it yet.
euroclie
QUOTE(slackwaresupport @ Apr 13 2005, 04:24 AM)
looking real good. im typing from it now  :>    idont think i have any beefs about it yet.

Nice to hear that! I'm glad I didn't mess things up for my first ipk (re)package release. biggrin.gif

As far as "looking good" goes, by the way, if anyone has a nicer icon for the menu button (the first on the left, just right of the Security (lock) icon), just let me know. I had to create this one myself, and its ugly because I have no graphic talent... wink.gif
russell
OK, I uninstalled my previous Opera version, 7.3o with the C3000 fix, and tried to install yours, but I must be missing something, when I try and install the IPK the Package Installer says:

'The filename of this package includes character this application can't handle. Please change the filename and retry install.'

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, I've tried renaming the filename, with no success, so I've reinstalled the previous version again.

Any ideas?

Russell
russell
I've fixed it, for one reason or another it would only install if the IPK was on the internal disk.
As I keep all my IPKs on a 256MB SD Card it wouldn't install it until I copied it. Very odd.

Looks great though, good job!

Russell smile.gif
slackwaresupport
well, i guess the next deal is syncing. any ideas on what to use?
slackwaresupport
has anyone replaced the 4 gig drive with a 6 gig?
slackwaresupport
i have noticed this also,

my screen light like, dims and brightens really fast, almost where you cant see it, not all the way dark, just a little
euroclie
Hi all,

I got a crash (well, a freeze, actually) on the 3000 the other day. It was just when I was trying to sart playing with the GSM/GPRS CF card, and I got a couple of "Bus error" messages when trying to type commands in the terminal (probably trying to access a binary located somewhere in the path while this partition was impossible to access, but that's just a blind guess). Anyway I had to remove the battery, as after a few seconds playing with my almost unusable Zaurus, trying to launch new programs (like the shutdown application) didn't work, and it finally froze. I haven't played again with the CF card, so I'll report if I get anything reproductible.

On another topic - but maybe it's related to the crash I experienced - it seems that the "Tab Setting" application doesn't work correctly. Basically, trying to move an application to another tab just produce a duplicate of the program's icon in the destination tab, but the original icon isn't removed. Deleting a program's icon or a tab doesn't work.
I had a look using the terminal, and it seems that the application creates .desktop files with the "zaurus" user instead of the "root" user. The groupe is correct ("qpe"). And the access rights are wrong as well (rw-r--r-- when the rest of the files are rw-r-----), so I suppose that the "Tab Setting" application might need to be run as root instead of zaurus user to fix this... Anyone else can reproduce this problem with Cacko3k?

Also, the swap part of the battery applet doesn't work anymore for me, I suspect the same kind of problem (suid root needed) than with the Tab Setting application, I'll try to reinstall the Cacko3k alpha to see if I can fix this.
sriley
Tab settings work fine for me. I have a particular tab setup that's always the first thing I do with a new ROM and I've had no problems with it.
euroclie
QUOTE(sriley @ Apr 17 2005, 06:47 PM)
Tab settings work fine for me.  I have a particular tab setup that's always the first thing I do with a new ROM and I've had no problems with it.

OK, thanks for the report. I'm in the process of reflashing the Cacko3k alpha ROM, this should fix things...

Before I perform the second reboot and loose the content of the hard drive, here are the few applications I've tested with the Cacko ROM on my 3000:

BDicty English/French Gold v5.2
Photo Storage v1.0.0-en
U-Bahn navigator v0.3.1
HandCom PaintEditor v1.0.1 (doesn't work right)
IconEdit v0.9.4
Tree!Explorer QT v1.7.0
QTAlamucho v1.0.0-vga
Opie Reader v0.7h
TkcZip v2.0-031205
FxConv v0.2.9-1
qcoptest v0.1.1
SafeDee v2.0.2
ZUC v1.1
NeoCal v2.0.2
PDF Viewer (qpdf2) freetype-2.2.1-20040217
Opera v7.55.6079
AQpkg v1.9

With the exception of HanCom PaintEditor which doesn't work quite right, the rest of the installed files showed a normal behavior, i.e. they work as good as on the Sharp ROM...

I'll do some more testing after the next reboot and once I've reinstalled all the stuff... <sigh> wink.gif
ned
I've just brought a c3000, and I was looking at the Cacko 1.22 ROM. Long story short, now I'm here, and Cacko3K looks like a really good option.

Is it available yet for download?, and if so, where should I be looking ?

Thanks,
sriley
Ned: Not yet, but soon!

The guy that put it together (iamasmith) is limiting distribution until he's convinced it's ready. I can't predict when that will be, but my guess would be a week, or two.

IMO, it'll be worth the wait.
ned
Do you know of any other ROMs etc I could have a play with in the mean time? (any others that are better than the default Sharp ROM that is smile.gif
cybernetseraph
Nope! Currently distinctly lacking in ROMs, hence the excitement about the alpha Cacko rom.

sooon....soon
slackwaresupport
quake is bombing out, and the video is crappy.. the md5sums

d9bbf880cae1eaabe354d944c49a9599 qpe-quake-data_1.5.0-1_arm.ipk
50af233a894cbf8abefff7b11a09ae30 qpe-quake_1.5.0-2_arm.ipk
kahm
I haven't been playing much with the 3000 for the last few days. It has nothing to do with my new PSP and Untold Legends. Honest.**

I've been thinking on how to resolve the /home problem, without much luck yet. The next thing I'll be working on is repackaging LAMP (Apache, mysql, PHP) and the Open Media Lending Database for the 3000.

The OMLD (http://opendb.i-am-vegan.net/index.php) is a comprehensive media database - the last killer application I need for my Z. Unfortunately it is a PHP app, which involves more overhead than I was hoping for. sad.gif

I've also got a USB CD-R drive I'll be playing with on the Z, as soon as I can find the A->A usb cable it came with.

---

**I am lying.
euroclie
OK, I've finished reinstalling the alpha Cacko3k, and it has fixed the Tab Setting problem along with the swap space problem in the memory applet... smile.gif

Back to testing (well, to reinstalling my apps and data, first).
kahm
I encountered a problem with the USB keyboard mappings tonight - they'd somehow reverted to being "Completely Broken", as in the letter keys bound to things like backspace and turn off backlight. A reboot did fix it. I'm going to poke through and find out if it was a fluke, or if one of the apps I ran broke things.
orange
Hi all and thx for testing, cant wait to have this...

just a small question can you run kismet without a dummy network connection? can you put your Wlan card in monitor mode?

if not is it hard to put that in the ROM?
kahm
I reset the 3000 this morning and started installing stuff again. I set up the new memory applet with a 128mb swapfile. Generation went okay, but when I activated it the swapfile location indicator (on HDD) went out, the path indicator went blank, and it reset the size to 2mb. At that point clicking "OFF" gets a failed to detach swapfile message. The swap does activate fine - I'm showing the full 128mb, but I have to reselect "HDD" before I can turn off swap.

I've never noticed this one before - anyone else?
sriley
That's how the applet has always worked for me, I have to specify which swapfile I mean before I can take any action.
kahm
QUOTE(sriley @ Apr 19 2005, 02:46 PM)
That's how the applet has always worked for me, I have to specify which swapfile I mean before I can take any action.

I take it that the program allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one on each supported device? It seems counterintuitive to not tell you which ones are currently activated.

It works well enough. It just seemed odd that the selection disappeared. There is also no indication if you've generated the file in the first place. (What happens when you try to activate a swap file that doesn't exist? I haven't tried.)
sriley
If the swapfile doesn't exist, the applet returns "Failed to attach swapfile".
sriley
Yes, the applet allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one per supported device. Activated swapfiles are displayed graphically on the applet's Memory tab (the tab on the left), but all are added to a single swapfile so two 16MB swapfiles would be displayed as 32MB in one graph.
kahm
QUOTE(sriley @ Apr 19 2005, 05:07 PM)
Yes, the applet allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one per supported device.  Activated swapfiles are displayed graphically on the applet's Memory tab (the tab on the left), but all are added to a single swapfile so two 16MB swapfiles would be displayed as 32MB in one graph.

Interesting. It's more understandable why it acts like that - anything more informative would mean a more complicated interface.
euroclie
QUOTE(sriley @ Apr 19 2005, 04:46 PM)

I second that, this is also how it works with me...

That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things. At the moment, the applet still shows a Total Swap of 67104 kB after I have manually set to Off the swap files on the HDD and SD card (no CF card inserted), and after I have also executed a 'swapoff -a' command in the terminal. There's no /home/zaurus/Documents/.swapfile or /mnt/card/.swapfile files that I can see using a 'ls -al' command in the appropriate directories, so I don't know how the applet can find those figures...
euroclie
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 20 2005, 04:25 AM)
That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things.

Rebooting fixes that strange problem... except that the Zaurus froze during the reboot, I had to open the battery compartment and press the reset switch to force the reboot.

Well, that's why we're called "alpha testers", I guess! wink.gif

Otherwise I was able to install mplayer/kino2 and play a (XVID) .avi file (though not fullscreen, and with a few glitches here and there on the display) with the sound. Nice!

Next I'll try to install Kismet / Wellenreiter - I might need this later this afternoon in the Linux Cafe in Akihabara! wink.gif
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 20 2005, 03:34 AM)
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 20 2005, 04:25 AM)
That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things.

Rebooting fixes that strange problem... except that the Zaurus froze during the reboot, I had to open the battery compartment and press the reset switch to force the reboot.

Well, that's why we're called "alpha testers", I guess! wink.gif

Otherwise I was able to install mplayer/kino2 and play a (XVID) .avi file (though not fullscreen, and with a few glitches here and there on the display) with the sound. Nice!

Did you happen to try "free" to see if linux thought the swapfile was still active, despite the swapoff commands?

I had the "Qtopia crash after starting the network for the first time" again today. There's definitely something up with that, but reproducing it seems problematic at the moment.

Next I'll try to install Kismet / Wellenreiter - I might need this later this afternoon in the Linux Cafe in Akihabara! wink.gif

You sure get around, don't you? smile.gif
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 20 2005, 04:14 PM)
Did you happen to try "free" to see if linux thought the swapfile was still active, despite the swapoff commands?

No, I didn't think about that one... sad.gif Will try this if the problem occurs again, though.

I had the "Qtopia crash after starting the network for the first time" again today. There's definitely something up with that, but reproducing it seems problematic at the moment.
I didn't have any crash after installing WellenReiter and Kismet, but launching WellenReiter caused some trouble: I got a dialog box warning me that I was running it without root privileges, so there might be restrictions in capabilities. I continued, and after that I couldn't exit the program, there was alwas the WellenReiter icon in the bottom taskbar, even when a "ps -ax" command didn't show wellenreiter running... and every now and then, WellenReiter would pop up in the front, and present me with the same dialog about root privileges... Annoying. I rebooted and got rid of this. I've activated the "execute with root privileges" for this application, I'll see tomorrow if this changes anything (right now I don't have a WiFi network close at hand to test it)...

You sure get around, don't you?  smile.gif

Traveling a lot has its good sides, sometimes! wink.gif
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 20 2005, 03:47 PM)
I didn't have any crash after installing WellenReiter and Kismet, but launching WellenReiter caused some trouble: I got a dialog box warning me that I was running it without root privileges, so there might be restrictions in capabilities. I continued, and after that I couldn't exit the program, there was alwas the WellenReiter icon in the bottom taskbar, even when a "ps -ax" command didn't show wellenreiter running... and every now and then, WellenReiter would pop up in the front, and present me with the same dialog about root privileges... Annoying. I rebooted and got rid of this. I've activated the "execute with root privileges" for this application, I'll see tomorrow if this changes anything (right now I don't have a WiFi network close at hand to test it)...

I haven't tried playing with kismet or wellenreiter on the 3000 yet. It looks like I'm going spend a couple of days resetting my 3000 trying to reliably reproduce that qtopia crash. After that I'll look into the scanning software.
You sure get around, don't you?  smile.gif

Traveling a lot has its good sides, sometimes! wink.gif

No kidding. I got to spend some time in Japan last October and had a blast. Missed seeing the Linux Cafe in Akihabara, though. I don't suppose you have a map of the area (or know of one online)? I'm curious as to where it is.
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 20 2005, 06:44 PM)
I got to spend some time in Japan last October and had a blast. Missed seeing the Linux Cafe in Akihabara, though. I don't suppose you have a map of the area (or know of one online)? I'm curious as to where it is.

Here you are, Sir:

(the Linux Cafe is at the red blinking dot).

This map is from a PalmOS program called Akibamap which I used regularly. It's a pity there's no arm Linux version! It still works on the PalmOS simulator (on my PC) though...
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 20 2005, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 20 2005, 06:44 PM)
I got to spend some time in Japan last October and had a blast. Missed seeing the Linux Cafe in Akihabara, though. I don't suppose you have a map of the area (or know of one online)? I'm curious as to where it is.

Here you are, Sir:

(the Linux Cafe is at the red blinking dot).

This map is from a PalmOS program called Akibamap which I used regularly. It's a pity there's no arm Linux version! It still works on the PalmOS simulator (on my PC) though...

Extremely cool. Do you do something special for Japanese support? I tracked down and installed Akibamap on my (English) Clie TJ35 and, as expected, it's all mojibake tongue.gif The only other Japanese-language software I have for the Palm is Dokusha, and it includes fonts...

I *really* wish I'd had something like this when I went on my trip. Live and learn. I'll be better prepared for when I go back. (Of course, speaking Japanese at greater-than-kindergarten levels would help, too. Something else to put on my list of things to do. It's amazing to see the reactions of people over there when an obvious gaijin manages to string together more than 3 words of Japanese coherently. Choruses of "Jouzu, desu nee!" follow rolleyes.gif )
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 21 2005, 05:06 AM)
Extremely cool. Do you do something special for Japanese support? I tracked down and installed Akibamap on my (English) Clie TJ35 and, as expected, it's all mojibake tongue.gif The only other Japanese-language software I have for the Palm is Dokusha, and it includes fonts...

[off-topic]There's CJKOS and J-OS, those two solutions should provide a Japanese environment (fonts, basically, but also IME) for almost every PalmOS flavor, as far as I know. But they're commercial or shareware, require some RAM, and the fonts are not necessarily pretty... Your best bet would be a Japanese ROM reflash, I know that this could be done easily on pre-OS5 devices, but I think this has become difficult/impossible with OS5.[/off-topic]

I *really* wish I'd had something like this when I went on my trip. Live and learn. I'll be better prepared for when I go back. (Of course, speaking Japanese at greater-than-kindergarten levels would help, too. Something else to put on my list of things to do. It's amazing to see the reactions of people over there when an obvious gaijin manages to string together more than 3 words of Japanese coherently. Choruses of "Jouzu, desu nee!" follow  rolleyes.gif )
I wish there was an easy way to make accented characters (for French) and Japanese Kanji/Kana coexist peacefully on the same device, but as of yet I've still to find a satisfactory solution, even on the Zaurus... Also, I'd like to see a Zaurus port of Akibamap, that would sure be pretty useful, especially with the Zaurus large screen! As it is, the Cacko3k ROM English localization is so good that there is virtually no Japanese leftover! Hmm... maybe I'll try to add Japanese support back later on! wink.gif

As far as Cacko feedback goes (let's try to get back on-topic, sorry for the non-Zaurus digression), I've installed and run DoomDemo succesfully, and Quake as well. Doom runs fine (except that the keys are inverted but that's easy to fix) and smoothly, but Quake was choppy as hell in 640x400, I had to resize the display to 320x240 to get (marginally) better performances. I had not been tested this game before (on the Sharp ROM), does anyone know how well it performs on the Sharp ROM?

I followed the instructions I found here to install Doom, Quake, Kismet and Wellenreiter, everything seems to run fine (except the performance problem). I didn't do any real-field WiFi testing with Kismet or WellenReiter, though (I was too busy talking whith mammothrept this afternoon at the Linux Cafe!), all I can say is that my Zaurus did succesfully connect to their WiFi open network with a Planex CF card (GW-CF11X).
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 21 2005, 12:27 PM)
[off-topic]There's CJKOS and J-OS, those two solutions should provide a Japanese environment (fonts, basically, but also IME) for almost every PalmOS flavor, as far as I know. But they're commercial or shareware, require some RAM, and the fonts are not necessarily pretty... Your best bet would be a Japanese ROM reflash, I know that this could be done easily on pre-OS5 devices, but I think this has become difficult/impossible with OS5.[/off-topic]

I'll see what I can do. I've got lots of ram in this thing, and it was retired ~6months ago when I got the 860 so I'm not doing much with it anyway.

I wish there was an easy way to make accented characters (for French) and Japanese Kanji/Kana coexist peacefully on the same device, but as of yet I've still to find a satisfactory solution, even on the Zaurus...

That's an interesting point - I'm using lcfont as the application font for my 860 (Cacko v1.22lite), and it seems to support both Japanese and French characters. What kind of problems are you having?

Also, I'd like to see a Zaurus port of Akibamap, that would sure be pretty useful, especially with the Zaurus large screen! As it is, the Cacko3k ROM English localization is so good that there is virtually no Japanese leftover! Hmm... maybe I'll try to add Japanese support back later on! wink.gif

Once we get cacko3k finalized that's the first thing I want to work on - getting the Japanese back in smile.gif I'll be updating the Howto I wrote as soon as we figure out the best way. As for Akimap, I assume there is some sort of update mechanism for refreshing the map, or do they just put out new versions of the program? (If they provide updates, porting wouldn't be a bad idea. If not, keeping a 3rd party port up to date would be...difficult.)

As far as Cacko feedback goes (let's try to get back on-topic, sorry for the non-Zaurus digression), I've installed and run DoomDemo succesfully, and Quake as well. Doom runs fine (except that the keys are inverted but that's easy to fix) and smoothly, but Quake was choppy as hell in 640x400, I had to resize the display to 320x240 to get (marginally) better performances. I had not been tested this game before (on the Sharp ROM), does anyone know how well it performs on the Sharp ROM?

Quake doesn't perform well at all, apparently. 640x480 is definitely out. There were some questions going on regarding how to scale it to full screen from 320x240, but I haven't seen if they solved that one. That's one of the big advantages of Opie blowing backwards compatibility - they can use newer compilers and soft-float for better floating point performance. Don't know how much of a real difference it makes, though. I'll likely test Opie on my 860 once cacko3k is finalized.
euroclie
QUOTE(kahm @ Apr 21 2005, 03:10 PM)
That's an interesting point - I'm using lcfont as the application font for my 860 (Cacko v1.22lite), and it seems to support both Japanese and French characters. What kind of problems are you having?

Basically, many applications cannot display simultaneously French and Japanese characters. For instance, with the original Sharp ROM, Netfront can't display the French characters correctly unless you replace the Japanese fonts by western fonts. I didn't try very hard, though, it should be possible to find a font (unicode?) that handles both. The problem is that French is using single byte encoding but with "extended ascii"-like characters (code 128 to 255), which most Japanese software interpret as a multi-byte character, eating the following character in the process...

Once we get cacko3k finalized that's the first thing I want to work on - getting the Japanese back in smile.gif I'll be updating the Howto I wrote as soon as we figure out the best way. As for Akimap, I assume there is some sort of update mechanism for refreshing the map, or do they just put out new versions of the program? (If they provide updates, porting wouldn't be a bad idea. If not, keeping a 3rd party port up to date would be...difficult.)

I think that they do release a new package every now and then, but all we should have to do is handle properly the .pdb file containing the data, and just omit the .prc file containing the executable. I'm sure that if we ask politely to Akibamap's author(s), we could get the permission to use their database. But then, I have the feeling that it doesn't get updated very often...

All in all, even a "simple" mapping program which would let you write a quick note (like "I found this super gadget at xxx JPY in this shop"), associate it with a shop (input the name manually, if needed, and point it on the map), and browse the notes afterward to locate the best price you found on a given product... yes, this would b useful, indeed.

Quake doesn't perform well at all, apparently. 640x480 is definitely out.
OK, I was a bit afraid that something was "broken" or missconfigured, but from what you write, I gather that the Cacko ROM provides normal performances.
kahm
QUOTE(euroclie @ Apr 21 2005, 01:32 PM)
Basically, many applications cannot display simultaneously French and Japanese characters. For instance, with the original Sharp ROM, Netfront can't display the French characters correctly unless you replace the Japanese fonts by western fonts. I didn't try very hard, though, it should be possible to find a font (unicode?) that handles both. The problem is that French is using single byte encoding but with "extended ascii"-like characters (code 128 to 255), which most Japanese software interpret as a multi-byte character, eating the following character in the process...

Ah. So it's an encoding issue on the application side. You'd need something like Firefox, which would let you switch encodings on the fly. (Or stop viewing anything but UTF8 encoded pages. tongue.gif)

I think that they do release a new package every now and then, but all we should have to do is handle properly the .pdb file containing the data, and just omit the .prc file containing the executable. I'm sure that if we ask politely to Akibamap's author(s), we could get the permission to use their database. But then, I have the feeling that it doesn't get updated very often...

All in all, even a "simple" mapping program which would let you write a quick note (like "I found this super gadget at xxx JPY in this shop"), associate it with a shop (input the name manually, if needed, and point it on the map), and browse the notes afterward to locate the best price you found on a given product... yes, this would b useful, indeed.

Something to look at for my next trip over. (Which, unfortunately, won't be for a couple of years. sad.gif

OK, I was a bit afraid that something was "broken" or missconfigured, but from what you write, I gather that the Cacko ROM provides normal performances.

Sounds like it. Last time I tried quake myself was on a 200mhz Ipaq. I'm always nervous when trying to use a $700 PDA like it's a $100 Gameboy. (Or a $300 PSP now, I suppose) So I rarely play any arcade/action style games on PDAs - just puzzle games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.