Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scratch Cleaner
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
seed
is there a way to remove scratch from screen of the z ?
akpoff
QUOTE(seed @ Apr 20 2005, 05:05 AM)
is there a way to remove scratch from screen of the z ?

Maybe. WARNING - I haven't tried this on an LCD screen. As an iPod owner I've managed to put some nice scratches on the acrylic face and later remove them. There are numerous threads over at the iPod Lounge with lots of helpful advice for removing scratches. This is the one I liked best and seemed most complete.

Depending on the depth of the scratch it can be very easy to very hard. Light scratches are usually defined as those that don't catch your finger nail as you push (lightly) across the scratch. If your fingernail catches, it's deep enough to require a lot of work -- though they can be buffed out. (For an amazing proof of concept see this article.)

For light scratches you start with a soft polishing compound. Novus #2 "Fine Scratch Remover" is highly recommended. I found it at a local plastics company here in Houston. The instructions on the bottle are pretty straight forward. Apply polish to a damp soft cloth and polish in a circular motion until the dry. Follow that with a cleaner and glazer (e.g., Novus #1 or Kleenmaster Brillianize) and your done. The glazer has the added benefit of helping to protect against future light scratches. I haven't tried it on my Zaurus yet. It's an interesting idea as the glazer makes the surface a lot smoother, almost like ice. It might make the pen slide more easily and protect against pen scratches. On my iPod I've seen excellent results both in removing and preventing the inevitable fine scratches you get in day to day use.

What about the deeper ones? I've made excellent progress on deeper scratches. I took an original iPod first generation that I used to carry around with out a case and cleaned it up very nicely. I started with a heavy scratch remover like Novus #3 "Heavy Scratch Remover". I've also used "metal polishing cream" since most of them also work on glass and acrylic. I use a brand called MAAS that I use to clean the chrome on my motorcycle. (A bonus with using metal polisher on an iPod is you can flip it over and polish up the metal back at the same time.) smile.gif Deep scratches require A LOT of work and patience. Typically you start by working the compound back and forth perpendicular to the scratch until you can't feel it any more. Then you work circular with the same compound. Don't freak out about all the light scratches this step creates. You'll buff them out when you move to the "Fine Scratch Remover" phase, which, by the way is what you do once you've worked the deep scratch down. Then you move on to the cleaner and glazer phase at which point, you're done.

There are two questions that come immediately to mind: 1) can the LCD screen take the pressure, and 2) what about the anti-glare coating? LCD screens are rather pliable. On my iPod I've put some serious pressure on the acrylic case to work out a scratch. I suppose you might get the same results with less pressure but it'll just take more time and even more patience. The last question is probably the more important. I would guess the polishing compound would take the anti-glare off (if indeed there is an anti-glare coating). This thread suggest that is the case. Given that you have a scratch already it might not matter to you.

One important note: resist all temptation to use any kind of power tool, even a Dremel on the slowest setting. It's way too easy to either burn the surface or take too much off and create a depression. Typically the scratch depth is measured in something like microns. Most power tools work at best in terms of millimeters.

Lastly, here's a link I just found for a compound that supposedly works for LCDs. I doubt it's much different from any of the other compounds I've mentioned above. They all pretty much do the same thing.

If you go for it, please take before and after pictures and post your results.

Good luck!

Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.