Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minor Forum Changes Complete!
OESF Forums > Everything Else > Site Specific Forums > OESF Announcements
offroadgeek
The forums seem to be continually growing to accommodate new devices, roms, etc., and many people have complained that the length of the main forums page is just too long. So I thought it was time to make some big changes.

I've created a copy of the OE Forums and started moving things around a bit, and got some feedback from our admins. Now it's time to get feedback from the community.

Please visit the OE Test Forums and check it out. Please feel free to post new topics or otherwise test the forums. JUST BE AWARE THAT THE TEST FORUMS DATA IS ON A SEPERATE DB FROM THE OE FORUMS, AND THAT ANY POSTS CREATED IN THE TEST FORUMS WILL BE DELETED AFTER TESTING. WE WILL NOT MERGE ANY DATA FROM THE TEST FORUMS TO THE OE FORUMS.

As usual, please be very candid with your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks,

offroadgeek
lardman
I reckon you could stick all of the Regional User Groups under a single lin kin the Everything else section which would save lots of screen space.

Other than that, it looks fine to me.

Si
offroadgeek
QUOTE(lardman @ Apr 22 2005, 07:38 AM)
I reckon you could stick all of the Regional User Groups under a single lin kin the Everything else section which would save lots of screen space.

Other than that, it looks fine to me.

Si

Excellent suggestion! I've made that change and it looks MUCH better.

Thanks
ArchiMark
Will take a week or so to get used to it (ie, feel familiar)...

but overall looks good!

Thanks,

Mark
Mickeyl
Looks very good to me. I'm missing the iPAQ specific subforum though - could you please add one? The iPAQ folks have no dedicated webforum yet and with the forthcoming merger of OpenSIMpad, Familiar Linux, and OpenZaurus, we close ranks even more.
nathanwms
Much cleaner, I like it!!
Miami_Bob
So far, looks good. Any changes beyond the menu subsectioning?
dz
QUOTE(Mickeyl @ Apr 22 2005, 04:39 PM)
Looks very good to me. I'm missing the iPAQ specific subforum though - could you please add one? The iPAQ folks have no dedicated webforum yet and with the forthcoming merger of OpenSIMpad, Familiar Linux, and OpenZaurus, we close ranks even more.

Added iPAQ forum.
ken
Allow display of more messages per page would be nice. anything that displays more lines in a smaller amount of space is always useful.

As an example, http://killefiz.de/zaurus/ is nicer than http://zsi2.stonekeep.com/ in my eyes because I can see more information in a smaller amount of space. If they removed the extra blank lines, then I'd like it more.

Same with things like forums ...
JohnKiniston
Should the "ROMs Support and Discussion" section have a Familiar sub-forum if there are going to be iPAQ users here?

Unless they are running OZ on their iPAQ wink.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(JohnKiniston @ Apr 23 2005, 04:31 PM)
Should the "ROMs Support and Discussion" section have a Familiar sub-forum if there are going to be iPAQ users here?

Unless they are running OZ on their iPAQ wink.gif

It shouldn't be necessary unless the discussion is hardware specific. Familiar and OZ share the same build system and are basically the same now... either Opie or GPE. The talk on irc sounds like they will be called by one name soon anyway.

I have had OZ on my iPAQ and I'm testing Mickey's new PXA255 kernel on a poodle with Familiar0.8.2 at this moment.

And before I forget... the new 'test' forum looks good.

Thanks

Greg
offroadgeek
Rather than creating a new thread to announce that I've made the changes to the production forums, I figured I would just rename the title of this thread. smile.gif

Hope you all like this better.

If you have any other suggestions, let us know.
Meanie
QUOTE(offroadgeek @ Apr 25 2005, 09:48 AM)
Rather than creating a new thread to announce that I've made the changes to the production forums, I figured I would just rename the title of this thread.  smile.gif

Hope you all like this better.

If you have any other suggestions, let us know.

Personally, I liked the old layout better. It looks so cramped now sad.gif
But that's just my opinion smile.gif
sriley
Although you said it's a minor shuffle, it really unclutters the board. Very nice!
ralphrmartin
I much preferred it the way it is. I now have to click loads more buttons to see what I want.

I vote for putting it back.
Mickeyl
Thanks for the ipaq forum, offroadgeek. I like the overall layout - much more clean.
zenyatta
Hi all,

today I found out the forums have been shuffled around a bit. So far I'm not sure whether or not I like it but the

General Forums > OS Support and Discussion

group should surely be renamed to

General Forums > Desktop OS Support and Discussion

or, even better,

General Forums > Desktop Operating Systems Issues

At present, one doesn't even know whether OS means "operating system" or "open source" until one looks at individual forum names. That's a usability no-no.

Just my $0.02.

z.
offroadgeek
QUOTE(zenyatta @ Apr 26 2005, 01:12 AM)
Hi all,

today I found out the forums have been shuffled around a bit. So far I'm not sure whether or not I like it but the

General Forums > OS Support and Discussion

group should surely be renamed to

General Forums > Desktop OS Support and Discussion

or, even better,

General Forums > Desktop Operating Systems Issues

At present, one doesn't even know whether OS means "operating system" or "open source" until one looks at individual forum names. That's a usability no-no.

Just my $0.02.

z.

I've merged your post into the existing thread wink.gif

that is an excellent suggestion, and I've made the change. Thanks!
dougeeebear
QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ Apr 25 2005, 09:22 AM)

+1 smile.gif
offroadgeek
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jun 18 2005, 04:39 AM)
QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ Apr 25 2005, 09:22 AM)

+1 smile.gif

2 votes for a messy look, 7,238 for a clean look wink.gif

all jokes aside, I'll see if I can have a theme that displays the forum in the old manner... that way people can just choose which theme they like best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.