Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Qtopia Input Methods After "export Display"
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > X/Qt
ShiroiKuma
Hi:

I'm running debian under XQt.

All the Qtopia input methods work in XQt, however somehow I can't get them to work for input after chroot to debian.

Actually, after the chroot itself, they still work.

However, I've found that after
CODE
export DISPLAY=0:0

they cease to work.

But you need the above command to run anything after chrooting.

How can I use the input methods still? Any workaround?
ShiroiKuma
Hmmm, this is interesting...

Doesn't seem to be connected to the export DISPLAY command.

I put the export... command into .xinitrc, so don't have to export the display once in XQt to run debian.

Now, after XQt comes up, the Qtopia input methods work.

After chroot, they work.

When I start a Windows Manager then, like fvwm or ice, they cease to work.

However when I exit the WM, while being in debian, they start working again.

What's going on here?
adf
permissions/ownership issues? just a willd guess.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(adf @ May 1 2005, 08:05 PM)
permissions/ownership issues? just a willd guess.

Hmm, doesn't seem to be. Somehow it seems associated to some character translation or whatever.

I think so because I've found out that when select the Sharp typewriter input, it works, however only in English, when you try to enter zenkaku Japanese, nothing is entered.

Cacko CyrKeyboard sends weird characters instead of letters, they display like ~6, ~3, ~7 and so, so something gets send, but doesn't go through.

QPOBox doesn't send anything through at all...

What's wrong?
adf
there is some kernel keymap weirdness on the 6k. Maybe that is it? You could try guylhem's new kernel, He has been working specifically on that issue.... It works on sharprom btw
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(adf @ May 5 2005, 09:55 PM)
there is some kernel keymap weirdness on the 6k. Maybe that is it?  You could try guylhem's new kernel, He has been working specifically on that issue.... It works on sharprom btw

I have a 760... sad.gif
iamasmith
When you run XQT normally your xlibs come from /opt/QtPalmtop/lib - this is where the XQT package installs libX11.so.* etc.

When you run the chroot debian the /usr/X11R6/libs are used.

There seems to be some keyboard handling stuff in the XQT xlibs that is specific to the Qtopia environment. I experimented with mount -o bind to overmount the /usr/X11R6/libs directory with the Qtopia versions but it ended up more stable using the debian versions. Using the XQT versions of the libs with debian produced some wierd results. The input applets would work but you couldn't enter things like the space character from the popup keyboard.

- Andy
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(iamasmith @ May 6 2005, 01:18 PM)
When you run XQT normally your xlibs come from /opt/QtPalmtop/lib - this is where the XQT package installs libX11.so.* etc.

When you run the chroot debian the /usr/X11R6/libs are used.

There seems to be some keyboard handling stuff in the XQT xlibs that is specific to the Qtopia environment. I experimented with mount -o bind to overmount the /usr/X11R6/libs directory with the Qtopia versions but it ended up more stable using the debian versions. Using the XQT versions of the libs with debian produced some wierd results. The input applets would work but you couldn't enter things like the space character from the popup keyboard.

This is interesting, I'd like to experiment with it some, maybe for me it will be a workable solution.

I'm mainly interested in getting QPOBox working for predictive text input, so the popup-keyboard lack of working space wouldn't bother me. I was successful in getting Prime for uim-xim running, but it's very slow for entry, so QPOBox under XQt would be great.

How do I overmount the necessary libs? Is
CODE
sudo mount -o bind /opt/QtPalmtop/lib /mnt/card/debroot/usr/X11R6/lib

sufficient? Or do I have to go somehow lib by lib or...?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(rehorrericha @ May 6 2005, 02:40 PM)
How do I overmount the necessary libs? Is
CODE
sudo mount -o bind /opt/QtPalmtop/lib /mnt/card/debroot/usr/X11R6/lib

sufficient? Or do I have to go somehow lib by lib or...?

To answer my question, this seems to be working, and lo and behold QPOBox works!!!

Now the only problem is associated with KeyHelper. As has been mentioned in a couple of previous posts, I've found out too, that pressing "," while running KeyHelper messes up the keyboard while chrooted to debian and I have to restart XQt.

Is there anyway around this?

I mean, it seems you have to use KeyHelper with QPOBox to enter space between the words, or is there any other way?
gojira
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ May 1 2005, 09:14 PM)
All the Qtopia input methods work in XQt,

Do you mean just the popup on-screen IMs, not including the zen/han-key method? I guess there would need to be a text field as part of the X server for that one to work...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.