Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierdo Dlink Wifi Behaviour
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Security and Networking
Ragnorok
- I've been playing with the new C1000 and a DLink DCF-660W, two of the list below. It's really wierd ... I plug it in, I click the little world with the red X on it, and it says it connect. Have an IP address, DNS configuration, everything. Just *after* connect, iwconfig says:
CODE
wlan0 IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"<my essid>"  Nickname "<my essid>"
     Mode: Managed Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point:<my wap mac>
     Bit Rate:11Mb/s  Tx-Power:-1041187148 dBm
     Retry min limit:8  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
     Link Quality:92/92  Signal Level:-40 dBm  Noise level:-100 dBm
     Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
     Rx excessive retries:0  Ivalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0

modprobe -d prism2_cs shows it's there, and using p80211, whatever that is, if I'm reading it right.

- It doesn't ping anything except its own IP. Not the WAP, not the other machine on the wired port of the WAP, nothing but it's own IP, and loopback. After playing with it a bit, pinging this and that, modprobe-ing, cardctl-ing and such, iwconfig suddenly shows this:
CODE
wlan0 IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"<random garbage>"  Nickname "<same random garbage>"
     Mode: Managed Tx-Power:-1015628108 dBm
     Retry limit:48228  RTS thr:5856  Fragment thr:2 B
     Encryption key:off
     Power Management:off
     Link Quality:0/92  Signal Level:-60 dBm  Noise level:-76 dBm

The unit remained within three feet of the WAP the entire time. WAP WEP is on, SSID isn't broadcast, Shared Key is set, MAC filtering is off.

- I've never seen anything like this ESSID garbling, and all the wlan settings getting re-arranged "mid-stream", as it were. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm sorta gefechted. (wall-eyed stare) Thanks for your time...
Storm
QUOTE(Ragnorok @ May 6 2005, 08:14 PM)
CODE
wlan0 IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"<random garbage>"  Nickname "<same random garbage>"
     Mode: Managed Tx-Power:-1015628108 dBm
     Retry limit:48228  RTS thr:5856  Fragment thr:2 B
     Encryption key:off
     Power Management:off
     Link Quality:0/92  Signal Level:-60 dBm  Noise level:-76 dBm

The unit remained within three feet of the WAP the entire time.  WAP WEP is on, SSID isn't broadcast, Shared Key is set, MAC filtering is off.

- I've never seen anything like this ESSID garbling, and all the wlan settings getting re-arranged "mid-stream", as it were.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm sorta gefechted.  (wall-eyed stare)  Thanks for your time...

I've seen similar behavior with my SL-5500 running OpenZaurus. It happened to me when I had multiple WEP keys defined. (I tried having one for work and one for home in slots 1 and 2 of the network config). Now that I think about it, it also happened to me when I tried to log into Panera's free wireless. Watching the network status in the config, I saw the SSID bouncing from PANERAS to PANERAS<ramdom garbage>. In that particular case, I popped the card out and back in, and it seemed to settle it down. Please let me know whether this works for you too.

--Storm
Ragnorok
- Hurm. Just tried playing with it some, and it would recognize it as WiFi, but refused to connect. No change in settings. After a few outs & ins, it wouldn't even recognize a CF was in the slot!
- I think it's time to hit eBay and get another WiFi. "He's dead, Jim."
- Thanks for your time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.