Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rc10 Out For Testing..
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Laze
Sorry for the very crude release - http://212.10.30.205/rc10/
Feeds are located in the folders - excuse the mess :-)

Update C1000 version is out
.. with USB Host working and pre. gfx accel. Calibration screen is portrait mode. To enable mouse support edit startx and add "-mouse /dev/input/mouse0" in xserver args. Resizing of partions doesn't work yet.

As always visit our site for banners and donations - new website is almost done and will be "released" soon ;-) We are still working on the latest new stuff for the website - if you look "hard" you will probally find it anyway..

But please, please, please consider donating - we are very low on cash always and we still haven't got a C3000 - althoug we have a C1000 due to kind hardware donation - so expect a C1000 version soon ™ - although hardware accelerated will be a while..

Generic:
CODE
xmms skips beginning of tracks    http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=258
XPDF closes when opening a file    http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=185
No suspend when in console w/out X11      http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=108
ppp dealer starts pppd with password on commandline    http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=106
Rotation and fonts        http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=47
qpkg reinstalls already installed programs as ....    http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=266
usb storage function not working anymore!  http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=252
SD card crashes on resume    http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=245
pppconfig segfault (reproducable)      http://www.pdaxrom.org/buglist.php?doaction=showbug&bugid=253

Misc:
- Many, many bugsfixes that got lost in the frenzy of new hardware etc.
- xpdf 100% running and stable with all pdfs (except for version 7)
- CF stuff
- TSLIB stuff
- matchbox-pdaxrom vendor related
- matchbox-icewm vendor related
- libmatchbox updated
- matchbox-panel updated
- matchbox-desktop updated
- SDL calibration problems with stuff like dosbox
- font setup for mb-applet-menu - fonts in menu 100% configurable
- Many "default" programs updated and installed.
- Installing SD/CF/Root sizes in installer
- better package manager with checkboxes and info
- "Raster" lines on remove applet icon menu
- Better text for calibration screen
- colors in term/bash

----------------------------------------------
6000 related:
Bugs:
0. DON'T USE THE NAND TOOLS
1. Wireless is not working using the utils
2. Many of the config utils are still 7x0 centric
3. Video driver is not hardware accelerated
4. Many keys are not defined etc.

Feel free to edit/fix the pythons programs so they work for the 6000 :-)

To use wireless "follow" the instructions here ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README

This is a fast whip up so please post any problems etc. you encounter here and I will try to keep it updated and help out and again:
ScottYelich
7x0 components mirrored: http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/cacko/pdaXrom/1.1.0/rc10/
(as of time of this post, only)

Scott
adf
very cool.. I've been looking forward to this.
david_dahan
Seems that Fn key is not functioning , cant type the blue characters ....

thanks,
David.
Laze
David: When posting such problems please write what Zaurus you are using.
david_dahan
QUOTE(Laze @ May 17 2005, 10:11 AM)
David: When posting such problems please write what Zaurus you are using.

Sorry , I'm using C750 .

David.
Laze
david: What stuff is missing more precisly?
david_dahan
QUOTE(Laze @ May 17 2005, 02:23 PM)
david: What stuff is missing more precisly?

Laze : Can not type all characters that are controlled by the Fn key (* , : ^ , = , + , [], <>, @)

The brightness control is also not working (Fn+3 , Fn+4) .

thanks for your help ...
David.
jerrybme
QUOTE(david_dahan @ May 17 2005, 07:02 AM)
Laze : Can not type all characters that are controlled by the Fn key (* , : ^ , = , + , [], <>, @)

The brightness control is also not working (Fn+3 , Fn+4) .

thanks for your help ...
David.

I noted the same, simple work-around until it is fixed is to use the X-virtual keyboard for special characters & Fn keys.

Cheers,
Jerry
Laze
The bug has been located - fixed ipks will be available soon...
plcg
Hi,

On my C700, "Suspend" menu doesn't work anymore.

And although my wifi card (Linksys WCF12) is connected to my router (Inventel DW200), Gaim is unable to connect and Dillo exits when i type "www.google.fr" and then "enter"...

Did i forget something ?
Thanks.

plcg
david_dahan
Hi ,

Networking via samba is not working anymore on RC10 . I flashed back to RC9 , installed samba and it is working.

thanks,
BarryW
How do you start a gui other than twm?

sl-6000
adf
I flashed to pdaX on my 6k briefly.

fn keys don't seem to work at least "=" didn't work. You already knew the keymap was imperfect, though.

The partition resizing is a problem. there isn't really enough room for a decent installation
on the default partitioning scheme.

I really don't like twm. reminds of when I screw stuff up on my desktop smile.gif
that's a quibble, though.

I think I will have to go backup my pocketworkstaion to free up my sd card, put the feed on a cf card and give this another shot.

keep at it-- I've seen pdaX on a 760, and was really impressed. would love to see equal functionality on my 6k
adf
?!

very strange. I had loaded pdaX over sharp..and got a really basic emergency looking desktop..restored to guylhem rom.... then flashed to pdaX and got a beautiful gui. I wouldn't have thought that would happen at all. I wonder what my partitions look like...

I need to go figure out the wireless if I can.

It would be nice, though, if the apps obeyed the window manager in portrait rotation. a landscape aterm in a portrait disply isn't really necessary, is it?

really #$$!!!ing nice, guys,
Thanks!
hbo
QUOTE(adf @ May 17 2005, 03:57 PM)
?!

very strange. I had loaded pdaX over sharp..and got a really basic emergency looking desktop..restored to guylhem rom.... then flashed to pdaX and got a beautiful gui.  I wouldn't have thought that would happen at all. I wonder what my partitions look like...

You seem to have gotten farther than I did. I also loaded rc10 on my 6k tonight. I answered "y" when the installer asked be if I wanted to format the user flash. As a result, root had no home dir and no .xinitrc. Since the default system xinitrc is the one that has shipped with X at least as far back as X11R5, (R4 had 'awm' I think) that brought up twm as the default window manager. I managed to get focus on an xterm, and from there about all I could do was type 'reboot.' I couldn't do anything else because the pointer calibration was all messed up. The X axis was reversed, and the Y axis was non-functional until I had the stylus about 3/4 of the way to the bottom, when it would start rising off the very bottom of the screen It got maybe a third of the way up as I brought the stylus all the way to the bottom. So it's reversed to, but there's more to it than that. As reported here by others, I couldn't use the FN shifted keys, so I couldn't type some important characters like '-'. (Try going without that at a Unix command line. 8) Since I couldn't reach the window menu because of the pointer issue and I couldn't 'kill -' anything, rebooting was the best way out.

When I logged back in, I looked through /etc/X11 for a more suitable xinitrc, and found /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.openbox. This I copied to ~root/.xinitrc. When I typed 'startx' I got a much more reasonable starting desktop, with an xterm taking up about 2/3 of the screen, and with a piece of the desktop available. However the pointer was still screwed up. The calibration ran on both startx attempts.

That's all for tonight. I look forward to further testing.
adf
you could repeat what i did.. weird though it seems... do a restore on guylhem's image.. boot to it, shutdown and install rc10. I expected that to have problems... as it turned out my problems came right after a fresh factory restore...
badog
can unstable-feed still be used in RC10?
BarryW
I did what adf did, really nice looking! Now we need to figure out how to start up the wireless....
hbo
QUOTE(adf @ May 17 2005, 09:57 PM)
you could repeat what i did.. weird though it seems... do a restore on guylhem's image.. boot to it, shutdown and install rc10.  I expected that to have problems...  as it turned out my problems came right after a fresh factory restore...

It's the partitioning. With the default split, pdaXrom fills up the "read only" partition. If you load the guylhem rom first, it converts the flash partitioning to a single writeable root. This allows the pdaXrom install to complete correctly.

It looks as though pdaXrom will have to distribute either a smaller image or a NAND flash image for the 6000L

My vote is for the latter.

On a cheerier note, let me second what others have said in this thread. This ROM is beautiful!
andrewwoods
This is GREAT. It looks good and feels (subjective I know) to be faster.

512MB SD card came today so I'm well happy.
adf
Are we sure we HAVE to use wlan-ng? I mean, if we can get the prism2 drivers to load, maybe hostap can be used?

I guess first is getting the prism2 module to load.

I put the feed on my cf in the meantime so I could see how the apps work smile.gif

really really nice!
good quick office apps (full blown, too) and 3 browser options.
Christoph
Hi Laze,

I saw that you have packages for kde in the feed.
I thought I was the only one to be crazy enough to try it. wink.gif
Is it usable?

Christoph
pgas
It looks as though pdaXrom will have to distribute either a smaller image or a NAND flash image for the 6000L

You can also try to use the tools in the installer to resize the root partition.
hbo
6000L WiFi Works!

Several things were key in getting this to work.
  1. Follow the instructions at ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README exactly as far as editing the files in /etc/wlan. Don't mess with pcmcia or hotplug.
  2. /etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan start
  3. dhcpcd wlan0
  4. Don't use vi, either in console or X11 mode!
It's really busybox, and it has terrible trouble with wrapped lines. The fact that the 6000L is in portrait mode makes this more likely to be a problem. Use SciTE in X11 mode (in the Office group)

Here's a relevant (censored) section from my /etc/wlan/wlancfg-mySSID, implementing 128 bit WEP:

CODE
#=======WEP===========================================
# [Dis/En]able WEP.  Settings only matter if PrivacyInvoked is true
lnxreq_hostWEPEncrypt=true     # true|false
lnxreq_hostWEPDecrypt=true     # true|false
dot11PrivacyInvoked=true        # true|false
dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=0  # 0|1|2|3
t11ExcludeUnencrypted=true      # true|false, in AP this means WEP is required.
# If PRIV_GENSTR is not empty, use PRIV_GENTSTR to generate
#  keys (just a convenience)
# add-ons/ in the tarball contains other key generators.
PRIV_GENERATOR=/sbin/nwepgen    # nwepgen, Neesus compatible
PRIV_KEY128=true                # keylength to generate
PRIV_GENSTR=""

# or set them explicitly.  Set genstr or keys, not both.
dot11WEPDefaultKey0=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
hbo
QUOTE(pgas @ May 18 2005, 08:29 AM)

You can also try to use the tools in the installer to resize the root partition.

The instructions say not to, in emphatic terms.
adf
bravo! on thewireless.
sounds like you were pretyy interested in getting this to work smile.gif
hbo
QUOTE(adf @ May 18 2005, 09:27 AM)
bravo! on thewireless.
sounds like you were pretyy interested in getting this to work smile.gif

Obsessed, you mean? biggrin.gif

I'm obsessive about gadgets and systems software. The Zaurii bring out the best (?) in me.
ScottYelich
hey laze --

you said replacement (new) ipks to fix the fn key thing -- does that mean that they
are up? or are you going to post with their names and when they are up, etc.

Scott
Gondola
hbo,

Thanks a ton! This got me online and in via ssh to my Z!

A couple small corrections to your instructions:

CODE
/etc/init.d/wlan start

should be

CODE
/etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan start

and

CODE
Here's a relevant (censored) section from my /etc/wlan/wlan-cfg-[i]mySSID[/i], implementing 128 bit WEP:

Should be

CODE
/etc/wlan/wlancfg-mySSID

No dash after wlan and before cfg in that filename. But those two filenames are in the README, so anyone following the directions should catch those two differences.

Well done!
hbo
Thanks for the corrections! I've updated the text accordingly. I also removed the 'modprobe prism2_usb' step. A subsequent reboot showed that it wasn't needed.
hbo
QUOTE(ScottYelich @ May 18 2005, 10:10 AM)
hey laze --

you said replacement (new) ipks to fix the fn key thing -- does that mean that they
are up? or are you going to post with their names and when they are up, etc.

Scott

After I got pdaXrom installed on top of a single flash partition, my problems with the FN key went away. I'm sure that a corrected .xmodmaprc is dropped into ~root if the installer doesn't run out of room first. Try NAND flashing the guylhem ROM, then updating to pdaXrom. That will repartition your flash so pdaXrom can install correctly. Be sure to do a NAND backup beforehand so you can return to the standard ROM!

laze: how do you get the pipe (vertical bar) symbol? Other ROMs map this either to shift-space or fn-space.

And it seems as though the NAND tools really need to work for the 6K!
hbo
QUOTE(hbo @ May 18 2005, 11:46 AM)
laze: how do you get the pipe (vertical bar) symbol? Other ROMs map this either to shift-space or fn-space.

It's working under X11 (fn-space = |), just not on the text console.
hbo
pdaXrom newbie tip (for those who, like me, do NOT rtfm.)

In X11, the calendar button is the control key.
Laze
Hey everybody.. so for the slow response time.. Glad to see you figured out the wireless stuff yourself :-) I was going to post it.

Current big bugs:
1. There is a flash/ram size problem with the Sl6000 - sometimes it can be fixed be resizing or nand flashing roms like guyhelm rom etc.

2. The files to fix the FN input bugs and more on the clamshell models are still not online due to extreme downloads from russia - please be patient for some a while.. I will post when you should do a update.
adf
quick comment

using guylhem rom seems pretty repeatable. I've done it twice (kdebase, kbepim and kde libs so NOT fit on internal smile.gif )
Gondola
Another issue.

If you don't "wake up" your Zaurus before taking it off the cradle, the idle timer is still active, and if you are over the idle time for your battery configuration, it will immediately go into suspend.

Solution for now:
Tap the screen or hit a key on the Z to wake it up right before you pick it up.

Long term solution:
Zero out the idle timer when it goes from AC->Battery mode, maybe?
Laze
Gondola - we will look into it.

SL6000 problems will be checked tomorrow for better testing :-) Basically the SL6000 seems more unstable than we tought..

The clamshell related problems should be fixed - from a clean console/bash (no window manager running) do a ipkg update and then a ipkg upgrade. Make sure you have it setup you ipkg feed to the new location(http://212.10.30.205/rc10/Zaurus-7x0-860/feed/) and you have a working internet connection when doing the upgrade.

Can anyone confirm the samba network problems reported earlier?

Also the problems with suspending from menu - anyone still having this?

Regarding some of the comments about programs starting in too big sizes.. There is no good work around this at the moment. Although i had thought about changing all the programs so they are called with the geometry parameteres of the current screen. That way almost all programs would start maximized - any better ideas etc?

---
Extra comment:
Nice to see so many liking our rom and making complete downloads of our feeds but please consider donating or at least looking at the banners on pdaxrom.org site.
adf
on opening apps.. if you do this, will there be a pager? 3-4 fullscreen apps on top of each other w/ no way to shuffle between 'em would be pretty frustrating. Then again, maybe there is an obvious thing that I've overlooked
jerrybme
QUOTE(adf @ May 18 2005, 05:20 PM)
on opening apps.. if you do this, will there be a pager?  3-4 fullscreen apps on top of each other w/ no way to shuffle between 'em would be pretty frustrating.  Then again, maybe there is an obvious thing that I've overlooked

Alt + Tab will toggle between open apps. You can also install an alternate WM like fvwm and create a pager wink.gif Also you can open apps on seperate desktops and Ctrl+Alt+ right or left arrow will move you between them.
Cheers,
Jerry
hbo
QUOTE(Laze @ May 18 2005, 02:44 PM)
Extra comment:
Nice to see so many liking our rom and making complete downloads of our feeds but please consider donating or at least looking at the banners on pdaxrom.org site.

I donated right after I got wireless working. biggrin.gif

Does the 'Donat-o-Meter' ever change?
Laze
Yes... Will updated it now - btw. the files updated for the corgi fix is the matchbox-pdaxrom* file.
pgas
on opening apps.. if you do this, will there be a pager? 3-4 fullscreen apps on top of each other w/ no way to shuffle between 'em would be pretty frustrating. Then again, maybe there is an obvious thing that I've overlooked

you can add the task manager applet to the panel. (via right click on the bar or via the menu)
adf
both good solutions. thanks smile.gif

incidentally.. after flashing fro guylhem-rom, because it only makes one (2 really, but one is the loader stuff) partition there is no mtblck3 and hence nothing at /home. I guess no surprise there, just thought i'd mention it
cortez
This is crazy blink.gif

After a quick install on my C750 the mouse cursor behaves rather nervous. For instance, I wasn't able to select anything from a dropdown list by tapping and holding the stylus on the scrollbar. The effect was that the mouse cursor jumped all around the position pointed.

I reinstalled RC9 and everything is OK again. Am I the only one having this problem? unsure.gif
If so, I will have to retry I guess (maybe I will anyway).
jerrybme
QUOTE(cortez @ May 19 2005, 01:26 AM)
This is crazy  blink.gif

After a quick install on my C750 the mouse cursor behaves rather nervous. For instance, I wasn't able to select anything from a dropdown list by tapping and holding the stylus on the scrollbar. The effect was that the mouse cursor jumped all around the position pointed.

I reinstalled RC9 and everything is OK again. Am I the only one having this problem?  unsure.gif
If so, I will have to retry I guess (maybe I will anyway).

No, my mouse cursor has been well behaved so far..

However, I'm not able to remap the Short cut keys or the Silkscreen buttons with the Input Setup applet. Anyone else having this problem? Remapping Ctrl & Alt did work.

Cheers,
Jerry
badog
VisualBoyadvance can't work in RC10!
it needs libqpe.so
Gondola
Another issue with rc10:

When I start X, I get the following messages that I can only see after shutting down X again:
Loading /etc/sysconfig/keyboard/kernel.map

/home/root/.xinitrc: line 6: /proc/power_key_off: No such file or directory
MODEL:SL-6000
/home/root/.xinitrc: line 90: /proc/power_key_off: No such file or directory

waiting for X server to shut down

#
Laze
There is some know jerkyness with the screen at the moment.

Also we are still looking into the many reported problems with the SL6000
adf
QUOTE(Laze @ May 19 2005, 10:26 PM)
There is some know jerkyness with the screen at the moment.

Also we are still looking into the many reported problems with the SL6000

guylhem has just done a bunch o work on 6k kernel and nand stuff. maybe he could make this easier on this platform?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.