Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Zaurus This Summer?
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
jamesannan
Ok, I know this comes up every so often, but it hasn't done so for a little while....

Anyone any ideas about timetable and spec for a new Z? My wife will probably be in the market for one this summer - would be a shame to buy a 3000 just before something better tuns up.

James
bluedevils
trisoft is the only one I know of that has hinted a new Z for the summer.
Mickeyl
We have been contacted by someone from Sharp who dropped that they were working on the software for a new model, so it looks pretty likely that they'll come out with something this year. The interesting questions will be with what and for how much.
nathanwms
It appears that wifi hot spots are growing at a fairly rapid clip all across Japan, as well as the use of VOIP. I expect to see a new Zaurus that has all the same specs as the 3000 but with built-in wifi (hopefully 802.11g), bluetooth (for those wireless headphones) and new VOIP software.
As a bonus, I hope to see a new 4 inch screen (like 6000) and more ram.
Leinadmx
Hi, I think (and hope) that this summer Sharp releases a new incredible model, there is a good reasons for that:

1) Yesterday PalmOne releases their LifeDrive model which have the Hitachi 4GB microdrive, how you know Zaurus did that the last year.

2) Recently, Hitachi had release their new technology about Perpendicular Recording which let you storage about 40GB on a 3.5 inches Hard Disk.

(Don't forget that when PalmOne recently go with their products, Sharp with Zaurus had Back! smile.gif

Probably Sharp could update the Zaurus Hard Disk or maybe update the Movile Communication skills.
Anyway we have to wait for a while, the problem is that we don't know Japanese language and it's dificult to find a news on google sad.gif

Could be nice to create a new topic about Zaurus rumors, or if anybody knows about Zaurus news really will be apreciate that he (or she) share that to us.

Best Regards.
<!--
Daniel Beltran R. | Even If You Can’t See Something
ISC - MacOS X | It Doesn’t Mean It’s Not There.
Perl, Javascript | -------------------------------
Mexico, UNAM | It's Belief That Gets Us There.
//-->
ScottYelich
not that it would matter for this round, and not that anyone from Sharp would give a rat's a*, but what the heck:

My wishlist, by priority:

(1) MORE RAM (256MB + min, puhleeze!)
(2) faster CPU (fine if we can throttle it)
(3) built in wifi
(4) higher res (800x600) ... in 860 or 6000 SCREEN.

nice things to have/retain/combine:
keys like 1000/3000, form factor like 760
usb host

Basically, just more ram. :-> and close behind that is CPU speed.

I'm staying with the 760 until more ram / more cpu in (zaurus) clamshell is available.

Scott
adf
mickeyl
yeah... but could you convince them to publish the specs?

seriously, though--if that means that OE (is that who was contacted? --I am assuming)is getting taken more seriously by sharp, might that mean that we will be seing a sane, scalable OS supported by them? coporate sponsorship of OE? an official zaurus OE system and repository hosted by sharp? is getting more "openness" out of sharp something that might be leveraged?

interesting anyway.

for now i like my 6k.

and lets hope that they stay consistant? another pxa 270 w/ more or less the same stuff as the 1/3k would make life easier, I think
samxiao
to me.... i don't really care about HDD

i just want MORE memory (i had C700, yeah.. 32MB only)
and BETTER power saving

or built-in wifi/bluetooth would be nice
ryouga
Hmm, maybe I'll hold off for a while then.

I do need to save money right now anyway smile.gif
ev1l
I hate (love) to repeat myself, but all I want is an HTC Universal running Linux with a decent application stck on top of it. If Sharp wants to make something as good, more power to them smile.gif
More memory and a semi-recent kernel would be nice, but I'm not exactly holding my hoorses.
rebski
The trouble with all of this speculation is that it turns me into a permanent fence sitter. I was considering buying an 860 when the 3000 was rumoured. I was all fired up for one only to see the rumour of a new model for March. Now that my decision is made to get a 1000 the Trisoft spectre of a high spec Zaurus is raising its head. When is this ‘summer’ supposed to be anyway? And can I wait that long. Mind you it is nearly June already.

The truth is that I am holding out for the spec that we have all agreed on and which Sharp can and should produce. Maybe this time they actually will. In which case, I shall be an instant adopter.
adf
or you can get a decent price on a 1000 which has OZ PdaX cacko and of course sharp available now or very soon. the OSes make a really big diference--- keep that in mind.
ashikase
I haven't noticed anything on the usual Japanese rumor mills.

If a new model _were_ to come out this year, especially if it had major new features, I would expect Sharp to present it at either CEATEC (Oct. 4) or World PC Expo (Oct. 26) (as they did with the C700 and C3000).

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan
Mickeyl
QUOTE(adf @ May 18 2005, 10:44 AM)
mickeyl
yeah... but could you convince them to publish the specs?

seriously, though--if that means that OE (is that who was contacted? --I am assuming)is getting taken more seriously by sharp, might that mean that  we will be seing a sane, scalable OS supported by them? coporate sponsorship of OE? an official zaurus OE system and repository hosted by sharp? is getting more "openness" out of sharp something that might be leveraged?

No no, unfortunately this isn't what happened. We (some Opie authors) were just being informed about Sharp shipping QPdf(2?) in a future model. No specs, no OE, no openness - just the fact that a new model is under development.
handheld-linux
QUOTE(ScottYelich @ May 18 2005, 07:17 PM)
My wishlist, by priority:

(1) MORE RAM (256MB + min, puhleeze!)
(2) faster CPU (fine if we can throttle it)
(3) built in wifi
(4) higher res (800x600) ... in 860 or 6000 SCREEN.

Seems to go quite in the direction of my "Whish-List-Spec" for the "Micro-Laptop" in the recent thread https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11403

I have had handed that spec (attachment of Post #70 https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11403&st=69#) over to one of my contacts in Sharp Europe but did not get a feedback if it meandered through to Japan... So, if any of the readers has additional conacts, please forward the spec to anybody who could help.

Nikolaus
ev1l
QUOTE(Mickeyl @ May 18 2005, 11:47 PM)
No no, unfortunately this isn't what happened. We (some Opie authors) were just being informed about Sharp shipping QPdf(2?) in a future model. No specs, no OE, no openness - just the fact that a new model is under development.

Hahaha, this is so bad. Sorry they're treating you like children, Mickey.
TsingTao
QUOTE(rebski @ May 18 2005, 03:33 PM)
The trouble with all of this speculation is that it turns me into a permanent fence sitter....

Yeah, I get into that rut to. Always waiting for the specs (PDA, PC, cars, GF, whatever I'm lookin' to acquire at the time...) to go just a *little* higher so I can maximize my aquisition value.

The conclusion I've come to is that you can NEVER be on the cutting edge unless you are some kind of Beta tester...and then you quite often don't get to own anything or you get more bugs for your trouble. What I've decided is that you just have to define your needs, pony up to fill them, and don't worry TOO much about a better value coming along. It could (in fact it always does eventually), but so long as your needs ARE met you'll be fine.

Case in point, my own Zaurus upgrade dilemma. Do I need a new $500 C1000 ? or can I get buy with a $350 used C860 ? What if something better comes along BEFORE I go back to Japan ?

I've just come to the conclusion that a C1000 is what I really want, but a C860 WILL do everything I'll need it to do so I'll just go for whichever deal is the better value when I've finally amassed the cash. I really would prefer the C1000 though, the keyboard is one of the biggest draws to the C series for me, and the C1000's looks vastly superior...

As for a *new* model...yeah, I think if it's going to be significantly different it will be in the communication area. Integrated wifi or something more voice oriented. Perhaps even with a more Yopy-like vertical clamshell form factor to make it closer to a phone replacement.

It doesn't really tempt me though...I can't think of any feature that could be reasonably placed in a PDA that *I* would be willing to pay $100 - $300 more for that the C1000 doesn't have.

But I like everyone else looks forward to continuing to watch the Z's evolution...
Antikx
I think everyone's wish lists are great but I don't understand why more people aren't interested in VGA-out.

Now that the Z's support USB keyboards and mice, the zaurus is begging for VGA out.

Hardware based VGA-out sounds like the only way it would work. Probably with it's own GPU or something (excuse my ignorance).

being able to plop your Zaurus down at a desk and essentially dock it to a kbd, mouse, monitor, external HDD, CD drive/burner and ethernet may sound like a dream to some but I think it's almost there. Being able to stuff your "ownly" pc into your pocket and then dock it to what expect from a workstation is, IMHO, where PDA's should be heading to. Most people, including myself, are tired of syncing.

I know there's the OQO and others that offer what I'm talking about but they don't seem to be quite there yet, and I wonder how well linux runs on them.
zmiq2
I deeply agree with Antik; VGA out with at least 1024x768 would be my minimum requirement ...
adf
agreed. it would make the Z much, much more powerful (and able to leap tall slideshow presentations too...)
lpotter
QUOTE(ev1l @ May 19 2005, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE(Mickeyl @ May 18 2005, 11:47 PM)

Hahaha, this is so bad. Sorry they're treating you like children, Mickey.

Actually, they are treating us better than other OEM's. Most oem's aren't emailing around telling GPL authors that their software is going to be used on a future release.

You guys would be quite suprised to learn just who is working on Linux Qtopia pdas/phones.
Laze
Built in Wifi and BT in a C3000 would make me happy and maybe a faster CPU -- oooohhh and make the hardware documentation available for developers.
kahm
My wishlist hasn't budged in months - ever since the 3k was announced. In the order of personal importance:

1) Built in Wi-Fi (Please Sharp, for the love of all that is Good, build in Wi-Fi! I love the clamshell, but the using the 6k with it's built in wi-fi soooo tempted me to switch. It's so convenient just having it there without constantly switching out my cf cards! If the 6k had been better designed (headphone jack on the *top* instead of the side, more than 64mb flash) I might have switched anyway.)
2) More memory. (128mb would be great, 256mb fantastic.)

Those are the most important things for me. The rest would be nice, but are relatively unimportant.

3) Faster processor.
4) 3.7" transflexive screen like the 6k's. If you can shoehorn the 4" into it, all the better, but don't make the Z bigger and heavier.
5) USB2
6) VGA out or a usable (USB2-based?) VGA expansion.
adf
lookuing at pics of the 3k, it seems like there would be room for the 4"
kahm
QUOTE(adf @ May 20 2005, 03:56 PM)
lookuing at pics of the  3k, it seems like there would be room for the 4"

I've compared the screens on my 6k and 3k. There is physically enough room for the visible portions of the displays. I don't know how much bigger the displays are or how much supporting circutry lies in the lid, though. I may be curious enough some day, but Sharp has *some* reason not to use the better display on the clamshells. I suspect it is probably more power related than anything else.
adf
QUOTE(kahm @ May 20 2005, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ May 20 2005, 03:56 PM)
lookuing at pics of the  3k, it seems like there would be room for the 4"

I've compared the screens on my 6k and 3k. There is physically enough room for the visible portions of the displays. I don't know how much bigger the displays are or how much supporting circutry lies in the lid, though. I may be curious enough some day, but Sharp has *some* reason not to use the better display on the clamshells. I suspect it is probably more power related than anything else.

honestly... I think it is because either they already had c-lids made.. or wanted to avaoid changing their production line. the lid from the 1k/3k is essentially the lid from the cx5/60, right? no need to change molds or assemblies..maybe a good place to put a bunch of 3.7"" screeens they already had, or found easier to manufacture?

maybe the japanese market doeasn't like the transflective screens? (reaching on thatone, I admit.)
amrein
_ 800 * 480 screen with the size of the SL-6000 one
_ inbuilt 4Go CF (or a bigger hard drive)
_ 128 Mo RAM
_ Wifi + Bluetooth
_ USB 2
_ keyboard with all PC keys (or shortcuts to get them). Localised keyboard for French, German... would be amazing. A way to get accented characters at least would open the European market. I'm suffering to not having this and I'm not alone. Most French SL-CXXX become paperweight.
_ a small backup battery to be able to change the main one without loosing data.
_ buttons on the case to be able to play/record/pause/... the inbuilt sound recorder or change the current played MP3/OGG file.
_ and... and... full/open hardware documentation. This one is mandatory and not debatable.

That way, I won't be able to think before buying. No more brain available. And I think that I won't be the only one. A few of us could even become crazy with those specifications. I already know that 90% of my spare time would be used to build my "dreamed OS" for this device. At last, I would be able to be happy...
The next move would be to had GSM / UMTS and improve the spec again.

Just one thing : when using KDE, if you use the MacOS menu emulation and hide the task bar, you are close to the Psion Operating system. A desktop like the Symbian Qtopia or PalmOS ones is so easy to do...

The PDA developers freeing could be so imminent...
merli
I am quite happy user of SL 5500:
My wishlist for new zauri
1) Builtin BT and WiFi (every 2nd PDA now has it)
2) 128 Megz of RAM, 128 Megz of Flash
3) 600 Mhz processor
4) Microphone, Reproduktor - Z to be also digital recorder
5) Underlit keyboard - user selectable
6) Better battery - at least 8 hours of work should be good :-)
7) Hardware buttons in PDA mode
8) Maybe 800x600 and bigger screen
9) what else???

I am planing to upgrade my 5500 do some clamshel design.
Can any1 tell me what are main differences between C860 and c1000?
Pros, cons etc .. I've read that c860 has some better params and features than 1000.

thnx
koen
QUOTE(merli @ May 23 2005, 02:07 PM)
I am planing to upgrade my 5500 do some clamshel design.
Can any1 tell me what are main differences between C860 and c1000?
Pros, cons etc ..  I've read that c860 has some better params and features than 1000.

C1000 has a newer & faster cpu, usbhost and a different framebuffer (pxa270fb instead of ATI w100).
The usbhost function is the real winner in my opinion. If only someone would hit the sharp marketing people with a cluebat so they (as merli pointed out)

1) ship it outside Japan
2) integrate BT and/or wifi
3) have a better battery

I hope some sharp marketingdroid reads this.
JoP
I wondered the same here:
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...922&hl=planning

Get a C1k.
Unless you want to wait for the new Z with every characteristic we asked for, if anyone ever listens to us... biggrin.gif
tumnus
QUOTE(Antikx @ May 20 2005, 03:23 PM)
Now that the Z's support USB keyboards and mice, the zaurus is begging for VGA out.

Hardware based VGA-out sounds like the only way it would work. Probably with it's own GPU or something (excuse my ignorance).

Someone in our office has a Dell Axim X50v with the VGA adapter cable. The X50 must have the VGA output built in as all the cable looks like is a straight forward sync port to D-SUB connector cable. The cable is only £40 too and that includes the full ClearView suite for PDFs, Powerpoint, Word, Excel and picture slideshows. The quality of all the rendering is really impressive. Why we have to fork out hundreds for a CF VGA out card and limited software I do not know.

The X50v comes with a screen mirroring setting by default too, so I guess you could use it with an external keyboard and monitor, albeit at 640x480. Don't know about a mouse though and Pocket PC is notoriously difficult to control without using the touchscreen.

A Dell X50v with a clamshell keyboard and of course running Linux+Qtopia would be my ideal PDA.

I think for a PDA 640x480 is fine, until you start talking about using it as a laptop replacement.
nilch
I think the way the Zaurus has progressed - its time for WiFi and/or BT and a VGA port - its time that the Zaurus functioned as a standalone little computer which can be hooked up to a regular monitor, keyboard etc and for presentations.

Ok, even if not that far, PalmOne with its Lifedrive (what a silly name) Mobile Manager is showing that the World (sorry, read USA) is ready for more functionality from a PDA. Sharp has already done what Palm is now doing (4 GB, Music/Video etc) .

So if Palm is showing the way to heftier more functional machines, why doesnt Sharp think of cracking the US market now - when general people have been spoon-fed the idea that a handheld is more than a Organizer.

I mean, if people are receptive to the LifeDrive concept, then I am sure with enough exposure Sharp can show the Zaurus alongside the lifedrive and show off the extra functionality that it already has together with WiFi and VGA out and maybe a better screen (4").

As for the speculations, is it a Japan only release and is it the same clamshell based models ? I wouldn't be surprised if Sharp brought out a newer design now. The clamshell has been iterated quite a few times already, though of course I can't imagine another design that is so functional and easy to use as the clamshell Zaurus.
nathanwms
QUOTE(nilch @ May 23 2005, 12:04 PM)
As for the speculations, is it a Japan only release and is it the same clamshell based models ? I wouldn't be surprised if Sharp brought out a newer design now. The clamshell has been iterated quite a few times already, though of course I can't imagine another design that is so functional and easy to use as the clamshell Zaurus.

How's this for speculation, ZMT (Zaurus Mini Tablet). An oversized clamshell designed to be a laptop replacement with the following specs:

7 inch screen @ 800x600 or 1024x768, viewable in direct sunlight
Intel pxa270 @ 624 MHz paired with the 2700g chip
Built-in 802.11g and BT
CF, SD, USB, video out
PCMCIA??
256 to 512 RAM
10GB internal HD
Since most of this can fit in the existing clamshell there should be plenty of room for a battery that will give you 10-12 hrs use of continuous wifi or video playback

Though not very pocketable, it wouldn't be cumbersome.
pgas
ow's this for speculation, ZMT (Zaurus Mini Tablet). An oversized clamshell designed to be a laptop replacement with the following specs:

Well you might want a sharp muramasa...

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.ph...&products_id=28
nathanwms
pgas, the Muramasa is quite near my speculation device. If only it were a bit smaller, say 6.75 x 4.5 x 0.875 inches with the 7 inch display. It would still be able to be held in an average person's hand, where as the Muramasa needs to be put on the lap or desktop.

Just speculation, I'd be happy with a SL-C3000 with built-in 802.11g and BT, which I believe is a more realistic next step for Sharp.
adf
I dunno.. it seems to me the next step would be a 1000 with bluetooth/wireless (either or)

maybe (but probably not) more ram and rom

maybe 600mhz

It would be nice if they included the 6k screen.. but I suspect that won't be seen again.

vga out would be awesome. I might even consider paying for that. I think they won't do it any time soon, though-- mostly because it would be really terrific for a market segment that they pretty explicity don't cater to.
rikiya
Yah, the Muramasa CV is great, with 20GB HDD, 256 RAM etc... yes, also a bit large for your hand to hold, but it's about 129,801 yen, about $1300, which isn't EXTREMELY pricey. But there is no CD/DVD drive, which is the problem for me, yet it does have built-in wifi and a SD and CF card slot.
speculatrix
QUOTE(handheld-linux @ May 19 2005, 09:17 AM)
I have had handed that spec (attachment of Post #70 https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11403&st=69#) over to one of my contacts in Sharp Europe but did not get a feedback if it meandered through to Japan... So, if any of the readers has additional conacts, please forward the spec to anybody who could help.

This forum is full of wishlists for new variants of the Z, here's another:
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6081&hl=

it's clear we zaurians want
* every good feature that any other PDA has ever had (wlan, bluetooth, illuminated keyboards, usb OTG, 20GB hard drive, etc)
* we want more of what we've already got (faster CPU, more RAM, more ROM, better display)
* we want new features for free
* we want new features to have no impact on size or battery life

I'll have the moon on a stick, please, and I'll "go large" with that.
Paul
adf
QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 24 2005, 12:43 PM)

* every good feature that any other PDA has ever had (wlan, bluetooth, illuminated keyboards, usb OTG, 20GB hard drive, etc)
* we want more of what we've already got (faster CPU, more RAM, more ROM, better display)

Paul

of course the capabilities of computers tend to grow, and the cost of prodution of features tends to decrease. How much would it cost today to build something (cheapest stable possible) with abilities of a 486/66 running dos? Wanting more features for less $$$ isn't an inherently unreasonable proposition. Seriously... a 1k costs very close to ( esp.adjusting for inflation) what a 5500 did 3 years ago. Why shouldn't next year's $700 Z have more capablilty than the 3k? or next years $500 Z more memory and some wireless..and a newer version of the same processor?

I agree.. a 600mhz pxa 270 "6kw" clamshell won't be available for $300. But it could probably be done for $600 in a year or so.
kahm
QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 24 2005, 06:43 AM)

Paul

It's the impact on size and battery life that people ignor most. The 6k screen is beautiful, but I don't want my Z to be any bigger than it already is. More ram shouldn't have that much of an effect on battery, and built-in Wi-Fi can be turned off.

Don't expect Sharp to change the screen any time soon. Don't expect better battery life any time soon. We can only hope for more memory. The only thing I expect Sharp to do is add Wi-Fi and maybe use a larger hard drive in the 3k.
adf
Sadly, I think you are probably right about the screen. s'ok, though... this way I won't have to buy another Z smile.gif
amrein
This is exactly what happen in my mind!

No bigger screen? No bigger battery? No more memory? No 4Go CF build-in? No BT nor Wifi? No record/play/forward buttons nor inbuild mic? No complete open specification? => than you, I will wait a bit longer. The SL-C760 with pdaXrom RC9.1 is already good enough as my netBook.

A little bit bigger to fit more things into the case won't hurt me. But damm, we are really expecting a more complete device in our pocket.

What could be amazing would be to vote for different "PDA dreamed outline" and to vote too for the final specification before asking Sharp to build the device. Same thing as someone else tried to do in a different thread. Of course this time with an official Sharp site asking for commitment to buy to the ones who are really interested.
speculatrix
QUOTE(nathanwms @ May 23 2005, 06:45 PM)
How's this for speculation, ZMT (Zaurus Mini Tablet).  An oversized clamshell designed to be a laptop replacement with the following specs:
7 inch screen @ 800x600 or 1024x768, viewable in direct sunlight
Intel pxa270 @ 624 MHz paired with the 2700g chip
Built-in 802.11g and BT
CF, SD, USB, video out
PCMCIA??
256 to 512 RAM
10GB internal HD
Since most of this can fit in the existing clamshell there should be plenty of room for a battery that will give you 10-12 hrs use of continuous wifi or video playback
Though not very pocketable, it wouldn't be cumbersome.

How about the Samsung XP30, if we could get linux on it:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5988.html
Display: 5 inches @ 800 x 480
CPU: 400MHz
Memory: 128 MB of RAM, 32 MB of flash/NV :-(
Expansion: CF
Connectivity: 802.11b, USB host
Other: 2.5 mm earphone jack
Physics: 155 x 91 x 13 mm @ 240 g (big and heavy!)
joonas
Well, realisticly it would be possible to offer SL-C3000 with

* 128MB RAM
* 0MB FLASH
* internal 1GB flash or 4GB harddisk (same price)
* boot straight from flash/harddisk
* 4" screen
* internal bt/wifi

The omitting of FLASH would more than offset the 64MB of more RAM and maybe smooth the way to the bigger screen. So the only real cost increase would come from bt/wifi and it would be about #30-40 USD.

and possibly as some PDAs do have it

* VGA-output with special cable
* faster processor

This would be my dream machine and I promise I would pay up to $1000USD if I could buy this today. Well, if one could dream, I would love to have 800x480 or 1024x600 screen and DVI-output, but that's not realistic.

The problem with OQO and other devices like that is that they are x86. That implies energy deficiency and low battery life. I would buy OQO if it ran anything other than Windows and would have more than 4 hours of usable battery life.

By using ARM you could build a fully capable and pocketable computer which you could use as your main computer. Of course with ARM you would have to run OSes other than Windows, but that's not a negative thing. You don't use OS, you use applications and Linux/OpenBSD run some of the best applications there are.

The only real thing missing from SL-C3000 is high resolution VGA/DVI-output. This could bring palmtops to the masses.

I would love to start a company to design, manufacture and sell palmtops based on ARM. Anyone with me?
speculatrix
QUOTE(joonas @ May 25 2005, 12:08 PM)
This would be my dream machine and I promise I would pay up to $1000USD if I could buy this today. Well, if one could dream, I would love to have 800x480 or 1024x600 screen and

I too would put money in escrow for such a thing, as has been discussed elsewhere. I think we just have to be hopeful about the successor to the C3000 adding some form of wireless.

I have considered voiding what little warranty I have and chopping out the infrared and putting in a serial bluetooth module in my 860.
TRIsoft
19 days left for the nice surprise biggrin.gif

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
albertr
Umm, since you mentioned it, I hope it would really be nice.
-albertr
joonas
OK, I'll wait 19 days before starting to build the prototype of what the Zaurus should be.

- Joonas
speculatrix
QUOTE(TRIsoft @ Jun 5 2005, 11:27 AM)
19 days left for the nice surprise  biggrin.gif
///TRIsoft

I'll hold off buying a huge compact flash card then!

One the one hand I wished I'd bought a 3000 (which was announced the day after I sent money to buy the 860), on the other hand the 860 has been a great learning experience!

Paul
nequiem
The only real thing missing from SL-C3000 is high resolution VGA/DVI-output. This could bring palmtops to the masses.

It's my dream to be able to have a PDA the size of the 3000 or 5500 with XGA-out that I could just pop into a docking station and light up a full-sized monitor and peripherals with the press of a button. The dock would need an integrated USB hub/port replicator for devices. Check my e-mail. Do some surfing. When I'm done, pop out the PDA, stick it in my pocket & take it on the road.

Almost every app i use at work is web-based so a PDA like above would be almost doable as a workstation replacement. The only problem would be intensive video, audio and large files. Maybe 5 years out it we'll see these kind of devices.

The problem with OQO and other devices like that is that they are x86. That implies energy deficiency and low battery life.

I was going to say the newer x86 chips might change that perception but looks like the Pentium M at 600mhz consumes 6 watts versus the Xscale which runs the same speed at a little less than a watt. Possibly the new via C7 if underclocked to that speed might do better as it runs 3.5W at 1Ghz and idles at .1 watts. It would be nice to clock up to 2GHz on full power.

QUOTE(TRIsoft @ Jun 5 2005, 11:27 AM)
19 days left for the nice surprise  biggrin.gif
///TRIsoft

Are we talking about a Zaurus? I expected something in the fall but I'm not complaining if they are announcing sooner. wink.gif By the way, 2005 was supposed to be the year of the linux phone. It's now JUNE and we've seen barely a trickle of new devices out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.