Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Question About Alternate Roms
OESF Portables Forum > General Forums > General Discussion
Grimmy
I recently obtained a second hand SL-5500 and am thinking of installing one of the alternative ROMS (e.g. Cacko or OZ) on it.

After some reading i've noticed its possible to install the ROM and use the SD card for storage/home directory etc. If you do this, what happens if you want to use a different SD card (for example to copy files across), is it possible to do so? Does it affect the running of the OS, or do you have to do anything special?
PrOtOn
QUOTE(Grimmy @ May 25 2005, 10:11 AM)
I recently obtained a second hand SL-5500 and am thinking of installing one of the alternative ROMS (e.g. Cacko or OZ) on it.

After some reading i've noticed its possible to install the ROM and use the SD card for storage/home directory etc.  If you do this, what happens if you want to use a different SD card (for example to copy files across), is it possible to do so? Does it affect the running of the OS, or do you have to do anything special?

I'm new to the Zaurus world, but I guess that your SD never leaves your Zaurus and you use a CF card to exchange data. Being so, I just screwed up ordering a 512MB SD card instead of a 1GB.(stupid me).
JoP
You can remove the SD card, but you'll lose your /home directory together with all apps installed in it. You'd still be able to move files from another SD card if you have an app in the 'rom' that let's you do so.

BTW, there's another Rom that mixs the advantages of Cacko and OZ and that's Hybrid Rom, though now it lucks support sad.gif
Try them (no fear wink.gif ) and choose the one that fits you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.