Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "bootmanger" For Zaurus
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
Pages: 1, 2
CoreDump
Hey all!

I'm currently in the process of writing a "boot manager" for Zaurus which allows booting
off of SD and CF cards.

The current features are:
- Can boot a "real" filesystem from SD and CF
- Can boot ext2 loop-images containing a filesystem from SD and CF
- loop-images are fsck'ed on each boot.
- Allows to boot into other runlevels
( This is interesting for OZ 3.5.4 as it features a new, GUI-less runlevel)
- Allows to drop into an emergency shell (init=/bin/sh)
This is a real life-saver when messing w^H^H^H^H^H debugging the device smile.gif

I've currently only tested it on Collie (Z5500 / Z5000). To make it work on the clam-shells
(or any other Z now shipping w/ kernel 2.6) I'd need volunteers.

Someone needs to figure out how to mount the SD and CF cardfs under kernel 2.6, that's basically all.
A basic manual can be found here: http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/docs/altboot.shtml

and the.ipk is here: http://hentges.net/tmp/altboot/ (yep, no messing with the system required, just install and be done with it smile.gif )

NOTE: Installing this ipk might render your Z unbootable (if Z != collie and OS != OZ 3.5.x)
PLEASE BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT DATA

I can upload some ext2 collie images to play with if you want. I have a shiny new opie snappshot lying around and a combined opie/GPE ROM. However, since the image are device-dependent, they'll only work on collie.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 29 2005, 01:22 PM)
I can upload some ext2 collie images to play with if you want. I have a shiny new opie snappshot lying around and a combined opie/GPE ROM.

I just looked at your manual and it sounds like I can place one of your ext2 images on my SD-card and select at boot... so if you what to upload that Opie/GPE 'rom' (koen doesn't like the 'rom' word) smile.gif I'll be happy to give it a try!

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 29 2005, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 29 2005, 01:22 PM)
I can upload some ext2 collie images to play with if you want. I have a shiny new opie snappshot lying around and a combined opie/GPE ROM.

I just looked at your manual and it sounds like I can place one of your ext2 images on my SD-card and select at boot... so if you what to upload that Opie/GPE 'rom' (koen doesn't like the 'rom' word) smile.gif I'll be happy to give it a try!

Greg

Hey Greg smile.gif
After booting, you can umount the "ROM". That is as read-only as it gets heh biggrin.gif

The "Image" is here:
http://www.hentges.net/tmp/altboot/oz3.5.3...2-RC3-DE.tar.gz

Put rootfs.bin into /media/[card|cf]/boot-images and select "Boot SD card"

GPE is on VT2, Opie on VT3

Have fun
Greg2
I thought if I was going to do some testing/playing with your boot manager I would go ahead and install your T2-rc2 with the cardfs-r6. I found it mounted the SD-card as read-only... lol! laugh.gif

Anyway, the boot manager works great and your Opie/GPE-ext2loop image works very well. Your making this too easy... I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to make that work last year with 3.5.1.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check with this setup.

Thanks for the boot manager.

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 30 2005, 03:37 AM)
I thought if I was going to do some testing/playing with your boot manager I would go ahead and install your T2-rc2 with the cardfs-r6. I found it mounted the SD-card as read-only... lol! laugh.gif

You've probably aborted the filesystem check of the SD card on boot?

Anyway, the boot manager works great and your Opie/GPE-ext2loop image works very well. Your making this too easy... I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to make that work last year with 3.5.1.

As a matter of fact, I failed doing this under 3.5.1 smile.gif

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check with this setup.

I'm more of an Opie guy and creating this image was a proof-of-concept type thing.
I wanted to know if such a setup is possible. Looks like it is biggrin.gif

GPE has matured greatly since the 3.5.1 days and looks quite good but it is still suffering from small problems which add up quickly. I see a great future for GPE though.

Thanks for the boot manager.
Greg

You're welcome smile.gif

I'm still hoping that a clam-shell user ports the bootmanager to his device. altboot will very likely end up in the OZ feed in the next release and having it work on most devices would be great .

While booting from SD and CF is quite a nice thing (IMHO), the real "killer" feature for Linux professionals will probably be the emergency shell (init=/bin/sh).

Maybe I'll think up a way to detect if the last boot was unsuccessful and boot the shell on the next run
even if altboot is turned off. This could be a real life saver cool.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 30 2005, 10:28 AM)

Your correct, that was the cause of it. For my own curiosity... why does it happen if you don't check the filesystem on boot?

I see it changes from

(rw,noatime,nodev)

to

(ro,noatime,nodev)

but I don't know what changes it?

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 30 2005, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 30 2005, 10:28 AM)

Your correct, that was the cause of it. For my own curiosity... why does it happen if you don't check the filesystem on boot?

I see it changes from

(rw,noatime,nodev)

to

(ro,noatime,nodev)

but I don't know what changes it?

Greg

This was actually a wanted behaviour at some point but tends to be quite annyoing from time to time.
I'll rework the whole scanning script anyways since it is less that ideal currently and the "ro" mount will be thrown out.

The reason was the following: Only if errors on the card are detected you'll see the red "popup" asking if you'd like to repair the card. If you choose not to, it would be mounted "ro" so the filesystem damage doesn't get worse.
Greg2
Thanks for explaining this to me. I have been checking how you have made this work, and I think that it can work on a poodle without too much trouble.

I know you don't have a poodle, but it appears that the init.d/sd and the sdcontrol are identical between your collie and my poodle. The fstab I can change with no problems. The one I don't completely understand is your hotplug script... do you think that I can use that in my poodle without any problems? If I would use it do you know of anything else that I might need to change to keep the system working?

Now if I can make those changes and keep the system running and stable with SD-card... your altboot_xxx_collie.ipk looks like a 'close' fit, 'close' meaning that I could probably make it work. I can only find one referance to /dev/mtdblock6 in the 21-bootRAM that would be a problem, but I don't think it would be used here? (there is the possibility that I'm completely wrong about this whole thing)

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I'm just starting to think that I 'partially' understand how this works. Unfortunately making it work for me and getting it in OE... I understand even less. I have however been reading about OE and the build process a good bit lately.

Thanks for your time,

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 31 2005, 02:29 PM)
Thanks for explaining this to me. I have been checking how you have made this work, and I think that it can work on a poodle without too much trouble.

Yes, a poodle is probably close enough to a collie that only very few adjustments were needed.

I know you don't have a poodle, but it appears that the init.d/sd and the sdcontrol are identical between your collie and my poodle.

Correct. AFAIK, sdcontrol was identical on all Z's. Since most devices now run a 2.6 kernel, this has changed. sdcontrol only works on Z's w/ a 2.4 kernel. FYI the sdcontrol shipped w/ this ROM is the same as shipped w/ OZ 3.5.3

The fstab I can change with no problems. The one I don't completely understand is your hotplug script... do you think that I can use that in my poodle without any problems? If I would use it do you know of anything else that I might need to change to keep the system working?

Hmm, I don't remember hacking the hotplug stuff. What exactly do you mean?

Now if I can make those changes and keep the system running and stable with SD-card... your altboot_xxx_collie.ipk looks like a 'close' fit, 'close' meaning that I could probably make it work.

Please let me know of any changes you have applied

I can only find one referance to /dev/mtdblock6 in the 21-bootRAM that would be a problem, but I don't think it would be used here? (there is the possibility that I'm completely wrong about this whole thing)

You are correct, bootRAM never worked. The only thing I've used it for was debugging pivot_root.
Since I do not believe that anyone is as "crazy" as trying to boot off of RAM, I'll probably remove it.
I have no intention of finishing this script.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I'm just starting to think that I 'partially' understand how this works.

Your questions are valid and by no means stupid smile.gif

Unfortunately making it work for me and getting it in OE... I understand even less. I have however been reading about OE and the build process a good bit lately.

Leave the OE part to me. I'll apply all poodle- and hentges specific stuff to my (public) CVS - which is pulled for the altboot.bb. If this works out, I'll ship hentges ROMs for the poodle, too. After the "porting" is done, that'd be no problem and just one more 4 hour compile heh.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 31 2005, 10:54 AM)
Yes, a poodle is probably close enough to a collie that only very few adjustments were needed.

I'm using this on my collie now, I haven't yet but I will give it a try on my poodle. If or when it works I will let you know of any changes I've made.

Hmm, I don't remember hacking the hotplug stuff. What exactly do you mean?

Edit:
I'm sorry they are the same... this one is from etc/sysconfig/hotplug. (that had me even more confused) I think I will have to change this one also?
CODE
##
## Each of these may be assigned to the number of nanoseconds by which to
## increase the timing of pcmcia bus transactions
##
# COMPACTFLASH_TIMING_INCREMENT=0
## the single pcmcia sleeve seems to be a bit slow, but 25ns makes my
## orinoco card detectable. -Jamey 4/2/2002
PCMCIA_TIMING_INCREMENT=25
# DUAL_PCMCIA_TIMING_INCREMENT=0

## mount options used by MMC
MMC_MOUNT_OPTIONS="-t auto -o sync,noatime"

Leave the OE part to me. I'll apply all poodle- and hentges specific stuff to my (public) CVS - which is pulled for the altboot.bb. If this works out, I'll ship hentges ROMs for the poodle, too. After the "porting" is done, that'd be no problem and just one more 4 hour compile heh.

Thank you, that is a very generous offer. I will work on this when I have the time.

Thanks again,

Greg
Greg2
It's installed on my poodle and it when it boots it gives me all the options... I select '1' and it boots into Opie as normal!

I only had to change the control file for ipkg:

Architecture: collie
to
Architecture: arm

It wouldn't accept that... heh

After all the careful checking of both systems... not a thing had to be modified for the poodle.

Now I need a simple howto for that ext2loop_rootfs.bin... unless you can supply a small one for testing to prove that this works on a poodle. I would be happy with a bootstrap.

Thanks,

Greg smile.gif
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 31 2005, 08:49 PM)
It's installed on my poodle and it when it boots it gives me all the options... I select '1' and it boots into Opie as normal!

I only had to change the control file for ipkg:

Architecture: collie
to
Architecture: arm

That was expected as only "collie" is a valid target currently. I'll push a poodle config into OE (altboot_poodle here we come)

After all the careful checking of both systems... not a thing had to be modified for the poodle.

Now I need a simple howto for that ext2loop_rootfs.bin... unless you can supply a small one for testing to prove that this works on a poodle. I would be happy with a bootstrap.

Thanks,

Greg smile.gif

Great!
I'll setup a poodle environment today to build a full image. That's going to take some time though smile.gif
JohnX
Thank you CoreDump! biggrin.gif
This is exactly what I was looking for. I've been hacking around with this a bit in the last couple days and I can now boot to a shell from an image that I made out of the pocketworkstation v.18 tgz file. I'm at school right now and I can't get the zaurus on the VPN'ed wireless net here, so I can't post my whole setup. But below is the general path that I followed to make this work. A couple things to note before I go on:
1) I may have made some typos or forgot some details, so if a command doesn't make sense to you, look it up instead of trusting me blindly. tongue.gif
2) This is strictly YMMV, it worked for me but it may just cause your zaurus to burst into flames.
3) I think this goes without saying, but don't even try this if you're not comfortable hacking around in mostly broken linux systems, because that is what this will boot into, even if it works.

My setup:
Zaurus SL-5500
OZ/Opie 3.5.3 (with lots of other stuff installed from random places)

I first made the ext2 image file on my desktop computer (running Debian Sid). There's no real reason that it couldn't be done on a Zaurus but I didn't test it that way so, YMMV:
touch zaurus.ext2
dd if=/dev/zero of=zaurus.ext2 count=200000

That will get you a file about 100MB in size. Adjust the dd parameters accordingly for a different size. Then I just made an ext2 filesystem on it:
mkfs.ext2 zaurus.ext2

Then I mounted it, and unpacked the pocketworkstation v.18 tgz file in it
(I used the pocketworkstation base image found here: http://pocketworkstation.org/files )

mount -o loop zaurus.ext2 /mnt/loop
cd /mnt/loop
tar zxvf /path/to/zaurus-debian-base-v0.18.tgz
cd /somewhere/else
umount /mnt/loop

Then I installed the altboot ipks to my zaurus, and copied the zaurus.ext2 file into /media/card/boot-images and renamed it to debian-rootfs.bin

When I tried to reboot into it I got errors. biggrin.gif

I changed the following in /etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD

The version of mount on my zaurus doesn't seem to cope well with the "-o loop" option. So I changed the line in 15-bootSD that mounts the image on the sd or cf card to instead run:
losetup /dev/loop1 $XX_MOUNTPOINT/$IMAGE_PATH/$IMAGE_NAME
mount /dev/loop1 /media/image

That made it mount the fs image on the card at least. The second problem is that pocketworkstation was never really made to be a bootable system. it was made to be chrooted from a running zaurus. Because of that it doesn't contain such important things as an /etc/fstab. This causes init to die in a not so graceful way. So, I commented out the line in 15-bootSD that calls /sbin/init and replaced it with one that calls /bin/sh. That part of my 15-bootSD file now looks like this:

exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /bin/sh >/dev/tty0 2> &1
#exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /sbin/init 6 >/dev/tty0 2>&1

If this works you'll be in a bash shell in the root of your debian install. I haven't played with it much but I imagine most of it is fairly broken.
Thanks again to CoreDump and Mickey and all the other guys working on OZ for making it easier to hack on the zaurus. Now I have to run to class cause I'm late. laugh.gif Happy hacking!

-John
CoreDump
QUOTE(JohnX @ Jun 1 2005, 06:37 PM)
Thank you CoreDump! biggrin.gif
This is exactly what I was looking for.  I've been hacking around with this a bit in the last couple days and I can now boot to a shell from an image that I made out of the pocketworkstation v.18 tgz file.

[...]

My setup:
Zaurus SL-5500
OZ/Opie 3.5.3 (with lots of other stuff installed from random places)

[...]

Then I installed the altboot ipks to my zaurus, and copied the zaurus.ext2 file into /media/card/boot-images and renamed it to debian-rootfs.bin

When I tried to reboot into it I got errors. biggrin.gif

I changed the following in /etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD

The version of mount on my zaurus doesn't seem to cope well with the "-o loop" option. So I changed the line in 15-bootSD that mounts the image on the sd or cf card to instead run:
losetup /dev/loop1 $XX_MOUNTPOINT/$IMAGE_PATH/$IMAGE_NAME
mount /dev/loop1 /media/image

Doh, busybox's mount was patched a few month ago to handle -o. Anyways, I've changed the script to use your version. Thanks!

The second problem is that pocketworkstation was never really made to be a bootable system.  it was made to be chrooted from a running zaurus.  Because of that it doesn't contain such important things as an /etc/fstab.  This causes init to die in a not so graceful way.

Ah, now that is a shame.

So, I commented out the line in 15-bootSD that calls /sbin/init and replaced it with one that calls /bin/sh.  That part of my 15-bootSD file now looks like this:

exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /bin/sh >/dev/tty0 2> &1
#exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /sbin/init  6 >/dev/tty0 2>&1

If this works you'll be in a bash shell in the root of your debian install.  I haven't played with it much but I imagine most of it is fairly broken.
Thanks again to CoreDump and Mickey and all the other guys working on OZ for making it easier to hack on the zaurus.  Now I have to run to class cause I'm late.  laugh.gif Happy hacking!

-John

I tried booting PW in the past and it froze during INI. Maybe I could add a "init=/bin/sh" option to bootSD. For example:

[4] Boot SD card ->

[1] some-image-rootfs.bin
[2] another-rootfs.bin ->

[1] Normal boot
[2] init=/bin/sh

However, this menu should IMO be optional and be turned off by default in /etc/altboot.cfg
What do you think?
JohnX
I wouldn't worry about it. The only people likely to need an option like that are the people who are hacking up their own ROM image. It would be imppossible to chase down all the different options and script them in. I'd rather have a simple straight-forward script to hack on, than one that tried to do everything and became so complex that it was difficult to understand and modify.

If you do end up adding something along those lines maybe something like this would be an idea:
[4] Boot SD card ->

[1] some-image-rootfs.bin
[2] another-rootfs.bin ->

[1] Normal boot
[2] Prompt for command to run on chroot ->

Enter the command to run: /sbin/init S

Anyways, I made a really simple fstab for PW and now I can run /sbin/init S and end up in single user mode. PW relies on its "host" operating system to do so much that it's not really useful when it is run by itself. No carctl is the real problem for me. I'll hack on it a bit later...
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 31 2005, 08:49 PM)
[...]

I've uploaded a poodle ROM + cardfs and a poodle ext2loop here:
http://hentges.net/tmp/do_not_use/poodle/

Any feedback is welcome smile.gif
Please note that this release is completly untested wink.gif

@JohnX:

I wouldn't worry about it. The only people likely to need an option like that are the people who are hacking up their own ROM image. It would be imppossible to chase down all the different options and script them in. I'd rather have a simple straight-forward script to hack on, than one that tried to do everything and became so complex that it was difficult to understand and modify.

Good point. I'll leave the current implementation as is is.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 2 2005, 12:43 PM)
I've uploaded a poodle ROM + cardfs and a poodle ext2loop here:
http://hentges.net/tmp/do_not_use/poodle/

Any feedback is welcome smile.gif
Please note that this release is completly untested  wink.gif

First of all I would like to thank you for all the work you've put into this, especially since you don't have a poodle to test it on.

Now for the bug report:

Before I flashed your 'poodle-image' I attempted to boot of my SD-card with your 'ext2loop-poodle' using your altboot I had installed previously in this thread. The bootmanager came up as normal and I selected [4] to boot from SD. The process started and failed at:
CODE
* * * Booting rootfs image * * *

ERROR: mount -o loop /media/card/boot-images/rootfs.bin /media/image failed!
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/media/card/boot-images #

I had built an 'ext2-image' from my 'flash-image' earlier today and had the same results but I thought I would wait and try one of yours.

So it would appear that there is something different with the poodle that I missed.

I than installed your T2-RC3-DE, zImage-poodle.bin and cardfs-poodle from the “do not use” folder. For this I used the updater.sh from the 3.5.3 feed.
After the flash was completed (kernel and initrd.bin), I reset the unit as normal... but instead of your installer coming up to install the cardfs-poodle the altboot comes up first and stops at:
CODE
altboot v0.0.1

[1] Normal boot
               [2] Single user mode
WARNING: /etc/altboot-menu not found
[ ]
WARNING: Using failsafe shell
/ #

So I need a way to call up your installer before the bootmanager?
Edit: I should explain that it never boots the first time to configure anything before the bootmanager.

Seriously, don't let this give you a headache... I will flash back to my working system for tonight.

Thanks

Greg
JohnX
CODE
* * * Booting rootfs image * * *

I don't think this is a poodle vs collie thing. This is the same error I got when trying altboot for the first time from my OZ 3.5.3 install. I think the version of mount that comes with OZ 3.5.3 doesn't understand the -o loop option. If you feel comfortable hacking up the script a little you can replace the line that mounts the rootfs.bin file (in /etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD) with one that first runs losetup to associate /dev/loop1 with the rootfs.bin file, then mount /dev/loop1 to /mnt/image. I'll post more detailed instructions later...

CODE
altboot v0.0.1

[1] Normal boot
              [2] Single user mode
[ ]
/ #

I have no idea about how the updater.sh works or what exactly happens when flashing a new ROM image onto a poodle...but it seems like something must have gone not entirely right, leaving you with /sbin/init still linked to /sbin/init.altboot. Apparently /etc/altboot-menu got hosed during the flash though. I would do exactly like you said and just do a complete flash to a known working system.
CoreDump

This might be the problem JohnX detected in the collie build. I've updated bootSD since then but the change didn't make it into the release. Interestignly this shouldn't happen in a hentges-style ROM as I use the "real" mount in these images.

altboot v0.0.1

[1] Normal boot
              [2] Single user mode
[ ]
/ #

Ugh, yeah. This is a known busybox bug present in all current OZ snapshots. The fix is simple but wasn't commited into OE (a patch is going balistic). I manually fixed the collie build and now did the same for poodle.

I'm currently uploading a new initrd.bin and a new ex2loop image.
Please wait 2 hours after this post, the upload is going to take some time and I can't "babysit" it.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 2 2005, 11:45 PM)

This image installed with only one problem and that's an easy fix... ipkg-link failed because there was no:

dest sd /media/card/

in ipkg.conf to link your cardfs.

I added it and ran ipkg-link and everything that I have checked so far is working but the keysounds and touchsounds, etc. Xmms works and the sound files are there... I believe this was a problem in another version iirc.

The bootmanager works and your oz-opie-ext2loop-poodle booted up and works perfect except for touchsounds and keysounds, etc.

I have to go now, but I will check out all the little things later tonight or tomorro.

Would you consider making your cardfs on a poodle install to /home... there is room (35840 kb), and it should work without much modification to your installer? The poodle /home is mtdblock3 and should install and ipkg-link about the same as /media/card?

Thanks

Greg smile.gif
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 3 2005, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 2 2005, 11:45 PM)

This image installed with only one problem and that's an easy fix... ipkg-link failed because there was no:

dest sd /media/card/

in ipkg.conf to link your cardfs.

Hmm interesting. Are you sure that "dests" for SD and CF are configured in stock OZ ROMs? When I look at how OE handles the poodle, I'd think not. Which - of course - would be a bug, or maybe not?

I added it and ran ipkg-link and everything that I have checked so far is working but the keysounds and touchsounds, etc. Xmms works and the sound files are there... I believe this was a problem in another version iirc.

That indeed might be a problem in current snapshots. I'll see what I can find out.
The bootmanager works and your oz-opie-ext2loop-poodle booted up and works perfect except for touchsounds and keysounds, etc.

Great :-)

I have to go now, but I will check out all the little things later tonight or tomorro.

Would you consider making your cardfs on a poodle install to /home... there is room (35840 kb), and it should work without much modification to your installer? The poodle /home is mtdblock3 and should install and ipkg-link about the same as /media/card?

While that would be possible, it would fill up your "home" partition. A compressed cardfs image is about 20MB. I do not believe that this would be such a good thing, but we can try how it works out.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 3 2005, 11:43 PM)
Hmm interesting. Are you sure that "dests" for SD and CF are configured in stock OZ ROMs? When I look at how OE handles the poodle, I'd think not. Which - of course - would be a bug, or maybe not?

No it's not in the stock OZ-roms, but wouldn't it be needed in your version on the first boot for the installer to link your cardfs properly? Wasn't it (dest sd) already in your collie version?

Everything else on this image I've checked works. I can find no problems that we don't already have with the 3.5.3 (e.g. The on/off button start problem)
QUOTE(CoreDump)
QUOTE(Greg2)

While that would be possible, it would fill up your "home" partition. A compressed cardfs image is about 20MB. I do not believe that this would be such a good thing, but we can try how it works out.

I normally always 'almost' fill up /home on my poodle before installing to my SD-card... the apps run a little faster there. With your new bootmanager installed it opens many possibilitys for that SD-card space. IMHO this would also be a very useful feature for the clamshell owners who have a large /home to use. (which I hear may soon be of interest to you)

Thanks again,

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 4 2005, 12:13 PM)
No it's not in the stock OZ-roms, but wouldn't it be needed in your version on the first boot for the installer to link your cardfs properly? Wasn't it (dest sd) already in your collie version?

Yes, the SD dest is needed. I was more asking if there could be a reason for the SD and CF dests to be excluded from the original ROMs. If there isn't one, we could change that for the next OZ release.
I've never seen or used a Poodle IRL so this question might sound stupid smile.gif
Is the missing SD and CF dest a bug or a feature of stock OZ ROMs?

Everything else on this image I've checked works. I can find no problems that we don't already have with the 3.5.3 (e.g. The on/off button start problem)

That's good to hear, and just prooves how flexible OpenEmbedded is. There were only very few
changes required to switch from Collie to Poodle Way to go OE biggrin.gif

QUOTE(CoreDump)

I normally always 'almost' fill up /home on my poodle before installing to my SD-card... the apps run a little faster there. With your new bootmanager installed it opens many possibilitys for that SD-card space.

Good point. I'll start hacking the installer today or tomorrow. Having a configurable cardfs destination is more elegant than a hard-coded path anyways wink.gif

IMHO this would also be a very useful feature for the clamshell owners who have a large /home to use. (which I hear may soon be of interest to you)

cool.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 4 2005, 08:30 AM)
Yes, the SD dest is needed. I was more asking if there could be a reason for the SD and CF dests to be excluded from the original ROMs. If there isn't one, we could change that for the next OZ release.
I've never seen or used a Poodle IRL so this question might sound stupid  smile.gif
Is the missing SD and CF dest a bug or a feature of stock OZ ROMs?

I would have to call it a bug on a poodle. I can't find a reason for the SD, CF and /home to be excluded. It only comes with:

dest root /

This is what I use:

dest root /
dest home /home/
dest sd /media/card/

Why we are on the subject but o/t here... what is the purpose of the 'package' directory that so many users are using? (/media/card/packages/)

I'll start hacking the installer today or tomorrow. Having a configurable cardfs destination is more elegant than a hard-coded path anyways

Thanks, I was hoping you would think that!

Greg smile.gif
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 4 2005, 02:09 PM)
I would have to call it a bug on a poodle. I can't find a reason for the SD, CF and /home to be excluded. It only comes with:

dest root /

This is what I use:

dest root /
dest home /home/
dest sd /media/card/

Fixed in OE smile.gif
CoreDump
I've just finished uploading a new version:
http://hentges.net/tmp/do_not_use/

It adds "dest" entries to ipkg.conf and cardfs can be installed onto every ipkg "dest" (SD / CF / home)
Please test smile.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 5 2005, 01:04 PM)

Warning

Do not try to install the cardfs to /home with this poodle image!

I'll be back later to explain.

Greg
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 5 2005, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 5 2005, 01:04 PM)

Warning

Do not try to install the cardfs to /home with this poodle image!

I'll be back later to explain.

Greg

Guess it's a little big to large huh? laugh.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 5 2005, 07:24 PM)

Yes... just a wee bit. laugh.gif

I've found some problems with your installer installing to /home.

When you select [3] for /home it seems to be ok, but then it insist on formatting your SD-card before the install... or it will not install the cardfs. When you say ok it formats mtdblock3 where /home is to ext2. This may or may not be a problem... although I would rather leave my mtdblock3 as jffs2. Then the install stops because there is no more room on /home... /home is full because an ext2 /home is smaller (holds less because jffs2 is compressed) then a jffs2 /home.

Now because of one or both of these problems when you reboot... mtdblock3 is gone! You still have a working system... but a very small one, hehe! (22528 kb)

Anyway I could find no way to fix mtdblock3 except for my 'first' NAND restore from a NAND file I made a long time ago. So I'm setting here looking at my Z with a sharp 'ROM' on it (it's the only NAND I had) but a smile on my face because mtdblock3 is back!

I'll return to OZ tomorrow... I'm tired and I might screw something else up.

I should note here that if there are any questions please ask... I was so amazed at what was happening that I took pics of the screen.

Is there a way to do this without formatting /home?

Thanks, and please don't give up on the poodle.

Greg smile.gif
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 6 2005, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 5 2005, 07:24 PM)

Yes... just a wee bit. laugh.gif

I've found some problems with your installer installing to /home.

When you select [3] for /home it seems to be ok, but then it insist on formatting your SD-card before the install... or it will not install the cardfs. When you say ok it formats mtdblock3 where /home is to ext2. This may or may not be a problem... although I would rather leave my mtdblock3 as jffs2. Then the install stops because there is no more room on /home... /home is full because an ext2 /home is smaller (holds less because jffs2 is compressed) then a jffs2 /home.

Err. Now that's a nasty one. The installer never was intended to install into flash so it only checks for
an ext2 or ext3 filesystem on the target. If none of these is found it formats the target because I had all sorts of problems from people trying to install cardfs onto a VFAT filesystem smile.gif

I've fixed this problem and the filesystem check now aborts when it finds the target to be a /dev/mtdblock* device.

Now because of one or both of these problems when you reboot... mtdblock3 is gone! You still have a working system... but a very small one, hehe! (22528 kb)

laugh.gif

Anyway I could find no way to fix mtdblock3 except for my 'first' NAND restore from a NAND file I made a long time ago. So I'm setting here looking at my Z with a sharp 'ROM' on it (it's the only NAND I had) but a smile on my face because mtdblock3 is back!

You may have gotten away with booting into init=/bin/sh and re-formatting the partition w/ jffs2.
This would be a major PITA though as jffs2 needs a hell of a lot of parameters.

I'll return to OZ tomorrow... I'm tired and I might screw something else up.

I should note here that if there are any questions please ask... I was so amazed at what was happening that I took pics of the screen.

Is there a way to do this without formatting /home?

Thanks, and please don't give up on the poodle.

Greg smile.gif

Fear not smile.gif I'm uploading new images as we speak, check back in 2 hours or so (can't babysit the upload ATM).

Sorry for that. This was a major f*uck up on my part unsure.gif
If this would have been the "updater" partition as found on some newer models, the PDA would be toast ph34r.gif wacko.gif

I'll add a few more fail-safes to the installer so it won't ever format a mtdblock partition again.
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 6 2005, 12:06 AM)
Fear not  smile.gif I'm uploading new images as we speak, check back in 2 hours or so (can't babysit the upload ATM).

Thanks, I'll check that out later tonight. I have a more important problem in my basement with a water leak from my very old plumbing to check first.
Sorry for that. This was a major f*uck up on my part  unsure.gif
If this would have been the "updater" partition as found on some newer models, the PDA would be toast  ph34r.gif  wacko.gif

I'll add a few more fail-safes to the installer so it won't ever format a mtdblock partition again.

Don't worry about it, we caught it before that happened... that's why it's called testing!

Greg biggrin.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 6 2005, 08:21 AM)
Fear not  smile.gif I'm uploading new images as we speak, check back in 2 hours or so (can't babysit the upload ATM).

Thanks, I'll check that out later tonight.

Your installer now works perfect on the poodle for an install to /home. After the install I have available 8924 kb on /root and 6912 kb on /home.

I can find no problems except the sound problem with touch and keys that was present in the last image, but I see that this is from the same snapshot date. Has anyone else experienced this problem with that snapshot?

Anyway, thanks again for the bootmanager, and taking the time to build this poodle-image with an installer that installs to /home... or the other dest you've added!

I don't suppose you would be willing to bitbake one of those PXA255 kernels with the cache errata disabled as an option for this deluxe poodle-image? I know of the controversy about this... but many of us have had absolutely no problems using it.

Thanks

Greg biggrin.gif
CoreDump
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 6 2005, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 6 2005, 08:21 AM)

Thanks, I'll check that out later tonight.

Your installer now works perfect on the poodle for an install to /home. After the install I have available 8924 kb on /root and 6912 kb on /home.

Very nice.

I can find no problems except the sound problem with touch and keys that was present in the last image, but I see that this is from the same snapshot date. Has anyone else experienced this problem with that snapshot?

"Touch" sounds work perfectly fine on my collie. Does normal sound work for you? (ie: playing an mp3 or wav file)

Anyway, thanks again for the bootmanager, and taking the time to build this poodle-image with an installer that installs to /home... or the other dest you've added!

You're welcome smile.gif
I could hardly believe it that ipkg destinations were missing for poodle and no one complained about it heh.

I don't suppose you would be willing to bitbake one of those PXA255 kernels with the cache errata disabled as an option for this deluxe poodle-image? I know of the controversy about this... but many of us have had absolutely no problems using it.

Hmm shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll ask around how to build such a kernel. However, the problem is that this kernel will cause problems. I'd rather not ship a ROM with it but adding it as an option might not be a bad idea.

If I'd ship it as the default, people would be posting about the "broken" ROM when all that was broken is their CPU heh.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of Poodle users have no clue about the underlying system or their PDA's broken hardware. The people "in the know" avoided the 5600 like the plaque when it was released laugh.gif

They probably bought a Collie - which was indeed the better choice. Just look how bad the Poodle support is in OZ sad.gif. I mean sheesh, no ipkg destinations. That takes like, um, 2 minutes to fix ph34r.gif
IIRC, not a single OZ dev owns a Poodle.
CoreDump
I've just uploaded another kernel with CONFIG_XSCALE_CACHE_ERRATA unset:
http://hentges.net/tmp/do_not_use/poodle/kernel/

No guarantees on stability though wink.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 6 2005, 11:37 PM)
"Touch" sounds work perfectly fine on my collie. Does normal sound work for you? (ie: playing an mp3 or wav file)

Yes... sorry, I thought you understood that. XMMS plays mp3s, oggs 'and' the wav files in /opt/QtPalmtop/sounds/ through the internal speaker or earbuds without any problems. I've read about this problem before on the poodle and or collie with an earlier version but I can't seem to find it now... or remember where I read it. I will however keep looking.
I could hardly believe it that ipkg destinations were missing for poodle and no one complained about it heh.

That's as much my fault as anyone... I will report more bugs to the proper place.
QUOTE(Greg2)

Hmm shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll ask around how to build such a kernel. However, the problem is that this kernel will cause problems. I'd rather not ship a ROM with it but adding it as an option might not be a bad idea.

If I'd ship it as the default, people would be posting about the "broken" ROM when all that was broken is their CPU heh.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of Poodle users have no clue about the underlying system or their PDA's broken hardware. The people "in the know" avoided the 5600 like the plaque when it was released laugh.gif

I agree with you completely. I would never suggest that it be the default kernel.

Thanks

Greg
Greg2
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 7 2005, 11:05 AM)

Thanks, I will try that out tonight.

Greg smile.gif
Greg2
QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jun 7 2005, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 7 2005, 11:05 AM)

Thanks, I will try that out tonight.

Greg smile.gif

The -fast-kernel works 'very' well!

You would have to have one of these poodles in your hand to appreciate the difference it makes. It improves even the little things like the balls moving across the BilliardZ table... they move smoothly now. (I think they may even roll a bit farther... heh)

Anyway, everything that did work still works. My SMC2642W card and my AmbiCom EZjack modem are detected and work fine. Hell, if I could just get my touch and key sounds working... my Poodle would be a Porsche!

It's also good to see the calculator dropdown box dropping down with options in this snapshot like it used to in Familiar 7.2! ( I can't remember if it did in OZ 3.3.6)

With all of the posting about the rboot and dual-boot and running both Opie and GPE at the same time in this forum, and on the mailing list... it's hard to believe that there are no more users posting in this thread?

Thanks for all you've done with these 'images' (rw-roms). biggrin.gif

Greg
Sniffer
Ill give this a try once im at home, by the sounds of it I will be very pleased. biggrin.gif
CoreDump
The -fast-kernel works 'very' well!

You would have to have one of these poodles in your hand to appreciate the difference it makes. It improves even the little things like the balls moving across the BilliardZ table... they move smoothly now. (I think they may even roll a bit farther... heh)

Anyway, everything that did work still works. My SMC2642W card and my AmbiCom EZjack modem are detected and work fine. Hell, if I could just get my touch and key sounds working... my Poodle would be a Porsche!

It's also good to see the calculator dropdown box dropping down with options in this snapshot like it used to in Familiar 7.2! ( I can't remember if it did in OZ 3.3.6)

That's good to hear smile.gif

With all of the posting about the rboot and dual-boot and running both Opie and GPE at the same time in this forum, and on the mailing list... it's hard to believe that there are no more users posting in this thread?

Yeah, well. I guess you have to try "multi"-boot to really appreciate it smile.gif
It is unbelievable that I could live w/o it for so long. In the past, I had to flash every time I made a
change to the image - just to make sure it would work on the first boot after flashing automatically.

This is now over. Most of the time I'm building ext2 images now and boot off of SD. And having a way
to init into /bin/sh is a real life saver from time to time. This is way cool biggrin.gif

However, there is a problem with obtaining correctly built boot-images for the clam-shells.
Maybe if I upload new opie / GPE snapshots for C7x0 someone will take the time to port the boot-manager to the clamshells running kernel 2.6.

This is a thing i cannot possibly do on my own. You've got to own such a device to make it work.
Basic instructions on how to mount the SD and CF card after init=/bin/sh would be enough to edit the script.

Thanks for all you've done with these 'images' (rw-roms). biggrin.gif

Greg

You are very welcome smile.gif
TimW
I'm currently using Daniel Steen's rboot scripts for dual booting (I've got an Opie and a GPE image on SD). What are the differences/similarities (advantages/disadvantages) between what you are doing here and the rboot stuff?
CoreDump
QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 8 2005, 12:06 PM)
I'm currently using Daniel Steen's rboot scripts for dual booting (I've got an Opie and a GPE image on SD). What are the differences/similarities (advantages/disadvantages) between what you are doing here and the rboot stuff?

The principle of operation is exactly the same for altboot and rboot (what does the "r" stand for btw?):
- Mount an external medium
- pivot_root into it
- call /sbin/init.

So any image that works with altboot will work with rboot and the other way around smile.gif

I didn't play with rboot a lot so I really am the wrong person to comment on its advantages or disadvantages, however the current features of altboot are:

- Written with multi-device support in mind.
- Available in OE (so it will most likely appear in the official feeds for OZ 3.5.4+)
- Due to the first two points, it could be ported to any PDA supported by OE (iPAQ, Simpads, etc)
- Can boot ext2 filesystem "images" (ie: loop-images) and a real filesystem on the card
You can even copy more than one image onto the card and you'll be presented a list to choose
the one to boot (OPIE / GPE dual-boot anyone?). And there's no need to edit any config files smile.gif
- Can boot from SD and CF
- Can boot into init=/bin/sh
- Can do all sorts of nice things by writing small shell scripts which are placed into /etc/altboot-menu
The scripts will appear in the boot menu. Having external scripts is very useful as you can't possibly
break altboot in a way that you need the re-flash your device. Only your script will break, but altboot
will still work just fine.
- Installation is as easy as it gets: ipkg install altboot smile.gif (just don't install it to SD or CF heh that will render your Z unbootable)
TimW
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 8 2005, 02:51 PM)
The principle of operation is exactly the same for altboot and rboot (what does the "r" stand for btw?):

No idea wink.gif

It sounds like overall they are pretty similar once installed so having got rboot working I'll be sticking with it. However, for the next OZ release I'll definitely give altboot a go as installation sounds so much easier, plus there seems to be some extra flexibility once it is installed.

If you need any further testing on an SL5000D though, I'm happy to give altboot a go on my "spare" device. I generally keep a Sharp compatible ROM on there for testing SharpROM releases of opie-reader so I can spare it for a test.
CoreDump
QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 8 2005, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jun 8 2005, 02:51 PM)

No idea wink.gif

biggrin.gif

[...]
If you need any further testing on an SL5000D though, I'm happy to give altboot a go on my "spare" device. I generally keep a Sharp compatible ROM on there for testing SharpROM releases of opie-reader so I can spare it for a test.

Thanks for the offer!
It would be interesting to know if the script would work correctly in a Sharp ROM. If you could check that, it would be great smile.gif No hurry though. Booting an OZ image is bound to fail due to the kernel but basic functionality should be there.
TimW
I did a quick check using your ipk on my Sharp based ROM (actually Cacko with "root on sd" so very little chance of it working any way I would expect) but fell foul of the change in ipk format. I can retest using (IIRC) ipkg-new or by repacking the ipk, OTOH I can reflash this device at any time (my OZ device is my main one) so what would be your preference I test:

another OZ test on an SL5000D,
or on old Sharp ROM (there is no SL5000 version of the current ROM),
or one of the ROMs which is nominally Sharp compatible (Cacko, tkc, etc),
or one of the latter with home on SD (probably a silly idea but you may know better),
or something else?
CoreDump
QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 9 2005, 05:13 PM)
I did a quick check using your ipk on my Sharp based ROM (actually Cacko with "root on sd" so very little chance of it working any way I would expect) but fell foul of the change in ipk format. I can retest using (IIRC) ipkg-new or by repacking the ipk, OTOH I can reflash this device at any time (my OZ device is my main one) so what would be your preference I test:

another OZ test on an SL5000D,
or on old Sharp ROM (there is no SL5000 version of the current ROM),
or one of the ROMs which is nominally Sharp compatible (Cacko, tkc, etc),
or one of the latter with home on SD (probably a silly idea but you may know better),
or something else?

Home on SD might still work (hentges ROMs w/ home on SD work just fine heh) but it depends on its implementation.

It would be great if you could test the script on a stock Sharp ROM, though smile.gif
broeggle
Hi,
first of all thanks for the great rom for my poodle (yes the messed up one), as it supports on the one hand my wifi card (which is unsupported by watapon/zynergy/sharp) and on the other hand my Poodle runs at least ten minutes without freezing (Oz less than 2 minutes ;/)

But as I already mentioned it freezes still quite often especially using the graphically ipkg tool. Then the only thing I can do is switching the lcd on/off , but nothing else is possible.
-->reboot. :/
Is there some kind of debug mode that saves the last few informations before such a freeze?So that the root of this problem might be found.

Moreover I don't get any click/alarm sounds but playing mp3s using xmms is no problem.

It would be nice if that can be fixed.

Thanks.
Greg2
QUOTE(broeggle @ Jun 19 2005, 08:40 AM)
But as I already mentioned it freezes still quite often especially using the graphically ipkg tool.

I've been using this image for almost 2 weeks without any problems... does it freeze without using the gui-ipkg?

Anyway, the gui-ipkg has a memory leak that causes this freeze. You can use the command line to install, or 'only' install 1 or 2 apps at the same time with the gui to prevent this. I've found on the poodle that a swapfile helps some when using the gui package installer.
Moreover I don't get any click/alarm sounds but playing mp3s using xmms is no problem.

This is a problem that I hope was only related to the snapshot used for this image on a poodle... because I'm not sure how to debug it.

Greg
SteveConley
(Poodle, 1GB sd, 1GB cf, updates as of 7/30/2005)

Ok, I gave up trying to get the published "root on sd" to work. The mount command in the init.script would seemingly not work - i.e. it would not find /media/image/sbin/init.

So I gave altboot a try (at first read I didn't realize that it would boot off an arbitrary boot image).

Well it does seems to work reasonably well, but I am suffereing from a few issues:

(I am using the image I made when doing the "root on sd" thing - so it is a fully patched standard image with nothing additionally installed yet. I have the distribution packages on the cf to install from).

1. Whenever it boots to sd it complains on the boot screen:
"mount: /proc/mounts: no such file or directory"
not sure if this is a problem - but it doesn't sound good. When I do a "ls" on /proc - it seems to be there.

2. It also complains about a usb hotplug something about 8 times, but I haven't copied that message down.

3. Periodically - when it times out during a long operation or just sitting there waiting for me to type, when you press Cancel to bring it back - it no longer responds to key presses or screen touches. If you then hit cancel again, the screen goes blank and it never comes back. Reset time ...

4. When it does come back, I boot to the normal system and fsck the image - which normally has ONE lost node. After fixing, you can reboot to the sd image and all appears well.

5. I attempted to link a program to the compat libs. I ipkg'd sharp-compat-libs. I then did a "makecompat programinquestion". makecompat answered:

Not linked to compat lib
Not Linked, Linking
Make programinquestion use compatibility libs.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me - did it succeed or fail? In either case, when I run the program from the GUI - it shows the busy icon for a few moments and then it is gone.

6. When hittting the icon and ejecting the cf card - it shows the ejected message and when I remove the card - normally nearly immediately, it will hang in the UI and nothing works (light is still on) and the cancel button will not shutdown.

7. What is the "proper" way to shutdown a sd card image? Use Shutdown? I tried that once and it seemed to hang forever on the GUI shutdown screen after the countdown. Then it would not turn off or anything - had to hit the reset.

8. (Of course I have the usual annoying right cursor ring sleepout, and the fact that the touch screen calibration is much worse than the Sharp Rom (after many, many tries at making it better) - but those are not the fault of Altboot - they happen with the regular image)

Any words of wisdom? Are the bugs I am seeing more OZ bugs or result of running off SD? I didn't seem to see the timeout dying issues on the internal flash.

P.S. thanks for the work on AltBoot - I am getting close I think.
markj541
I've got altboot running OK, and here's how I went about creating my own "XXX-rootfs.bin" file.

# On my Zaurus 5500 (collie)
# 1. Did a fresh install of OZ 3.5.3 (zImage and initrd.bin) using 64-0 kernel and opie rootfs.
# (used regular install instructions for OZ 3.5.3)
# 2. Followed instructions to upgrade kernel to r21
# (see http://openzaurus.org/wordpress/2005/07/27...nel-on-collie/)
# 3. Inserted SD card (formatted as VFAT, could also be formatted as ext2)
# 4. created the boot-images directory
mkdir -p /media/card/boot-images
# 5. Copied altboot ipkg from hentges.net into the Zaurus and installed it
# (I've got a collie, make sure you use the one for your machine)
wget http://hentges.net/tmp/altboot/altboot_200...8-r1_collie.ipk
ipkg install altboot_20050618-r1_collie.ipk

# At this point, I have a plain OZ 3.5.3 install, with altboot. I now tried to create
# a rootfs.bin file on my SD card.
# 6. created file about 250MB (you can make it much smaller, every 100000
# works out to about 50MB).
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/card/boot-images/001-rootfs.bin count=500000
# 7. make ext2 filesystem in that file
mkfs.ext2 /media/card/boot-images/001-rootfs.bin
# 8. mount the file (if /mnt/temp if it doesn't exist, run "mkdir -p /mnt/temp")
losetup /dev/loop1 /media/card/boot-images/001-rootfs.bin
mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/temp
cd /mnt/temp
# 9. copy the current root into my loop mounted filesystem
export dirname="bin boot dev etc home lib opt proc sbin sys usr var"
for dn in $(echo $dirname);do tar cf - /$dn | tar xvf - -C /mnt/temp;done
# 10. create other directories and links
mkdir -p media/card
mkdir -p media/card1
mkdir -p media/card2
mkdir -p media/card3
mkdir -p media/cf
mkdir -p media/hdd
mkdir -p media/image
mkdir -p media/net
mkdir -p media/ram
mkdir -p media/realroot
mkdir -p media/union
mkdir -p mnt/temp
ln -s /var/tmp tmp
cd /mnt/temp/mnt
ln -s /media/card card
ln -s /media/cf cf
ln -s /media/net net
ln -s /media/ram ram
# 11. I also went into /var and removed some temporary files (i.e. "*.pid" files in /var/run, files in /var/lock/subsys).
# 12. unmount and disconnect the the copied root filesystem
cd
umount /mnt/temp
losetup -d /dev/loop1

# Now I was ready to reboot and try to use the new filesystem on the SD card.

At the altboot message I hit a key to launch altboot
I then chose option 4, boot from SD and got these messages:

mount: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
Mounting rootfs rw...ok
Generating device files...ok
Loading SD kernel module...ok
Mounting /media/card...ok

Note: No INIT [/sbin/init.sysvinit] found on target

At this point, since I had "001-rootfs.bin" and "002-rootfs.bin" (which was the one CoreDump supplied), I chose my new one. Success!

Does anyone have a better way to do this? I'm interested in making more, but I'd like to hear about more efficient ways to make the "xxx-rootfs.bin" files.

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. There is one thing I've noticed, I always seem to do a fsck during a reboot after running from the SD image file. This seems wrong. I've tried using several different ways to shutdown the system, such as:
1. Shutdown (from utility tab)
2. Shutting down Opie, logging into a vt term as root, issuing "shutdown -r now"
What could be causing the unclean mount of the SD image, and any ideas on how can I try to troubleshoot it?

Thanks
bsaunder2002
/sbin/init: 255: Syntax error: redirection unexpected

got this error after installing http://hentges.net/tmp/altboot/altboot_1.0-r4_collie.ipk ontop of
stock 3.5.3 gpe image
collie 64/0 kernel made by lonstar

got the error after the
ipkg install ...
sync
reboot

system wouldnt shutdown, just print that error and return to the prompt

so I sync'd again and did a hard reset

system wouldn't boot, gave the error above and they kernel panic'd...

I guess I should read the installation instructions wink.gif

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.