Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freepascal
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
chris08
Has anyone tried Freepascal for or even better ON the Zaurus already? It might be a lightweight alternative to gcc for quick development on the road.

Greetings
Chris
ScottYelich
er, not to start a holy war... but, alas, it's pascal!

I am using g++ on the pda -- it SUCKS as a primary development
platform.. but you know what -- it does work. So, I do 99% of my stuff
off the PDA and only make minor changes, etc.

But, ya, tcc for c is awesome... even on PDA. perl is pretty good...
python is ok/not-bad... etc. Look into tcc.

Scott
chris08
Hi Scott,

well I think opensource is about freedom of choice wink.gif
I have been working on several large pascal (Delphi) projects in the last couple of years, and I think pascal is a pretty nice language (but then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but you are right, no point in starting a holy war here smile.gif
I'll give freepascal on pdaxrom a try when I get some sparetime on my hands. I'll take a look at tcc though, thanks for the hint! Just wanted to know I maybe someone has tried this before.

Take care
Chris

QUOTE(ScottYelich @ May 29 2005, 12:22 PM)
er, not to start a holy war... but, alas, it's pascal!

I am using g++ on the pda -- it SUCKS as a primary development
platform.. but you know what -- it does work.  So, I do 99% of my stuff
off the PDA and only make minor changes, etc.

But, ya, tcc for c is awesome... even on PDA.  perl is pretty good...
python is ok/not-bad... etc.  Look into tcc.

Scott
cortez
Chris,

You're right, freedom of choice is the most important issue here. If Pascal is the language you prefer, you definitely have to give FreePascal a try. It's absolutely brilliant!

One remark though, only cross-compiling to ARM is supported at this time. So no "quick development on the road" as you said, at least not yet.
ScottYelich
hey, don't get me wrong...
I'd rather have the choice than not!

:-)

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.