Dear all Mac&Zaurus users,
we have uploaded a new build of QuantumSTEP, the Mac-compatible GUI and Application Suite for the Zaurus (making it a real "MacPDA" with "OS X Lite")
It becomes more and more complete, stable and functional, and ou can test drive many of the applications directly on MacOS X (where you have to imagine the smaller Zaurus screen of course). Here is a download of the most recent Application suite: http://www.dsitri.de/download/myApps-1.5.tar.gz
Note: It is for the original Sharp ROMs only! Don't try to install on Cacko or OpenZaurus!
* To install, download the "Latest Build" from http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=Downloads.
* Unpack and go to the Directory 'Install on Zaurus/Sharp ROM/Install_Files'.
* Copy the files QuantumSTEP_DR6_arm.ipk and QuantumSTEP-ZED-DR6.mypkg to the Zaurus (or a CF/SD card and plug into the Zaurus).
* Use the File manager on the zaurus to locate the file and double tap. This will open the Qtopia installer.
* Select Install QuantumSTEP.
* Install to "Internal Memory". If you don't have enough space, you can try a procedure to install on SD card as described here: http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=TN003 but note that execution might be very slow.
* It takes 1-2 minutes to install.
* Close the installer.
To launch, go to the QuantumSTEP Application in Qtopia and tap. After some seconds, the X-Server should appear. After some additional seconds the System Menu and the palmtop should come. To calibrate the pen, just move to the 4 corners or edges of the screen.
You should find yourself in an environment similar to MacOS X Aqua. And since we have tried to even resemble the Menu structure and the general operation of the MacOS X applications (squeezed into a Zaurus screen), you should find operation very familiar. The myPalmtop applications allows you to quick-launch Mail, Calendar, Addresses, Notes/Stickies etc. by tapping on the top row of icons.
To reboot back to Qtopia, select Reboot in the golden delicious menu. Note, that on C3000 the machine hangs and needs a press on the button behind the battery lid.
Before you complain, there are still some unsolved issues in the current Build 62:
* The screen does not rotate and is fixed to 320x240 pixels (which will become possible when we integrate some Tiger extensions in AppKit)
* myFinder crashes shortly after popping up its window
* mySettings, myDate is not found
* on some models you have to tap on the screen before the windows of an application pops up
* the Web browser myAfrica does not work
* you can't store addresses in myAddresses
* integration of WLAN, GPRS and GPS is not yet complete (although it recognizes CF cards)
* myPhone does not dial into GSM...
We would be happy if you would give us general and specific feedback and questions through e-mail: mailto:email@example.com
Thank you very much,