If it helps here are the steps I took in trying to get Zethereal up and running.
I installed the following in this order all using ipkdg –d ram
1. libpcap 0.8_0.8.3-r0
4. I then tried to install oz-compat_0.5 but received messages that /etc/init.d/quickexec was not found. I thought that the install failed so I tried to install sharp-compat-libs_0.5-r2 which failed saying that many files were already supplied by oz-compat.
5. After running ipkg remove against oz-compat_0.5 I installed sharp-compat-libs_0.5-r2. However, during the install I received the /etc/init.d/quickexec not found errors.
5. I then tried to install oz-compat-opie_0.1 and received the /etc/init.d/quickexec not found errors.
9. I did not ipkg-link anything but zetheral_1.0
10. I created the links in /usr/lib mention at http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?submenu=zaur...zaurus/sniffers
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.10
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libgthread-1.2.so.0
ln -s /mnt/ram/usr/lib/libgthread-1.2.so.0.0.10
11. Trying to open zethereal via the icon nothing happened.
11. Trying to run zethereal via the command link I received the _7QString.shared_null error zethereal.
12. I added LD_LIBRARY_PATH= "/media/ram/packages/usr/lib:/usr/lib/" to /etc/profile
13. Rebooted and tried zethereal from the command line again and received the same _7QString.shared_null error as before.
I am not averse to reflashing and starting my zethereal installs again so long as its clear what the sequence and required software/steps are.
Thanks for your help.