Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Hardware Mods
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
albertr
Since I haven't yet read/seen any posts about success stories on the subj (except for someone who claimed he added a usb bt dongle, but didn't support it by any tech info/pics), I'm getting ready to perform a first surgery on my C1K. Time permitting, I hope to do it sometime next week (maybe on July 4th holiday weekend).

Here's a few thoughts I have on the subj:
- There's a ffuart wired up to a port on the back of the C1K (so-called sharp i/o port) that has all modem control lines. I'm leaving it as a last resort (if everything else fails), since I want to retain it for rs232 comm.
- There's a btuart in PXA270 that has CTS/RTS control lines, but it's unknown if Sharp traced it on PCB. I would guess that it would make sense to have it traced just in case, i.e. planning for future models with built-in BT, but with Sharp you never know...
- Well, it leaves us with stuart that is wired up to IRDA transmitter/diode, but doesn't have any control lines, so hardware flow control is not possible.

If btuart lines can't be traced, either rs232 or irda has to go. Personally, I don't use IRDA myself, so for me the choice is clear. But not having hardware flow control leaves us with a challange of fighting high interrupt latency of bloated Sharp's kernel to avoid fifo overruns. I took a look at Sharp's serial driver, and as usual with sharp it's ... well, not good. I had troubles with overruns even at modest speeds. Now, the good thing is that it;s Intel PXA270, not Sharp's proprientary hardware, so full tech specs are available. I spend a few hours on "unsharp'ing" the serial driver, so now it seems to run ok. I tested it @ 460800 and not getting overruns anymore. I still need to test it @ 921600 and implement suspend/resume hooks, maybe add some hooks to front LED to show activity, etc.

Anyway, just thought it would be useful to have a dedicated thread where we all can share tech info and success stories. Please feel free to contribute... and I'll update you on status of my surgery.
-albertr
albertr
Here's an output of running a serial BT module connected to my C1K via external rs232 transceiver:

CODE
# cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:Jun 28 2005
0: uart:PXA UART port:F8100000 irq:22 baud:460800 tx:5675 rx:12368 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR|CD|RI
1: uart:PXA UART port:F8200000 irq:21 tx:0 rx:0
2: uart:PXA UART port:F8700000 irq:20 tx:0 rx:0
3: uart:16C950/954 port:F60003F8 irq:135 tx:0 rx:0
# btctl -v                  
bt0     00:10:60:a2:cb:8e
       Name: "zaurus"
       Class: 0xB2010C, Computer (Laptop) [Networking,Object Transfer,Audio,Information]
       Scan Mode: discoverable, connectable
       Security: service pair [-auth, -encrypt]
       Packets: DM1 DH1 DM3 DH3 DM5 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
       Role: allow switch, remain slave
       Baseband:
               Manufacture: Cambridge Silicon Radio, id: 10
               Features: 1.1 compliant
       Buffers:
               ACL: 8 x 192 bytes
               SCO: 8 x 64 bytes
       Suported features:
               Packet types: 3-slots, 5-slots
               Radio features: RSSI, CQD data rate, paging scheme
               Policy: switch, hold mode, sniff mode, park mode
               Encryption: supported
               Clock modes: slot offset, timing accuracy
               Audio: SCO, HV2, HV3, u-Law log, a-Law log, CVSD, transparent SCO
               Power Control: supported

# cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:Jun 28 2005
0: uart:PXA UART port:F8100000 irq:22 baud:460800 tx:5800 rx:12752 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR|CD|RI
1: uart:PXA UART port:F8200000 irq:21 tx:0 rx:0
2: uart:PXA UART port:F8700000 irq:20 tx:0 rx:0
3: uart:16C950/954 port:F60003F8 irq:135 tx:0 rx:0
#

Another thing comes to mind is how to control the power of BT module? Of course, bt draws much less then wi-fi, but still you won't probably want to shorten your battery life more than absolutely necessary. I'm thinking of trying to use some controlled power domain for +3.3V if I can find any inside C1K. I.e. irda diode or maybe sd/mmc slot? Any ideas?

-albertr
speculatrix
way to go, Albert, good luck!

could you use the control line from one of the LEDs with a PNP transister to control power to the module? Dunno if the C3/C1-000 has the same envelope/email icon + LED?
euroclie
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jun 30 2005, 02:51 PM)
could you use the control line from one of the LEDs with a PNP transister to control power to the module? Dunno if the C3/C1-000 has the same envelope/email icon + LED?

No, the C3k has a hard disk activity LED on the bottom, and a battery charge LED on the top, in the left end of the chromed hinge.

That being said, there's a "Use HDD LED as Email LED" setting in the Light & Power applet, so that LED can probably be controled somehow by the end user...
albertr
C1K has two LEDs, both are software controlled, AFAIK. One is charging, another is email. I'm thinking of using the email LED to blink on uart activity.

As far as module's power consumption goes, I'll need to find +3.3V or +5V (both would work in my case) with peak load of approx. 50-80mA (@ 3.3V). I'm not sure how IRDA transmitter power is controlled and what's its peak load capability. If it can supply 80mA and can be software controlled (via some GPIO pin?) I can use it. Otherwise I'll need to find other source. If anyone has ideas on what it could be, please let me know...

On a side note, was not able to get it work @ 921600 baud, so I settled on 460800 for now.
-albertr
speculatrix
Here's a discussion I started, which floundered, about doing the same thing for the Sl-C860
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13238
albertr
I think doing 860 would be even more challenging than C1K, since if I remember correctly the fifo size of PXA25X is half of that on PXA27X (32 vs 64 bytes).

It looks like there're only two of us on this forum who are interested in the subject sad.gif
-albertr
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ Jul 1 2005, 01:55 AM)
I think doing 860 would be even more challenging than C1K, since if I remember correctly the fifo size of PXA25X is half of that on PXA27X (32 vs 64 bytes).

true, but even a slow-ish bluetooth link is usable. I can understand why people bought the bluetooth air-cable, to make use of the serial port now. Pity they're relatively rare 2nd hand, and not cheap.

It looks like there're only  two of us on this forum who are interested in the subject sad.gif
-albertr

three, if you include someone putting one inside a 6000 to turn it into a 6000W, so far he's put a module inside, but struggling with the power I think. But yes, a surprisingly low number considering how people rave about a clamshell with built-in wireless.
daniel3000
QUOTE(albertr @ Jun 30 2005, 03:17 PM)
As far as module's power consumption goes, I'll need to find +3.3V or +5V (both would work in my case) with peak load of approx. 50-80mA (@ 3.3V). I'm not sure how IRDA transmitter power is controlled and what's its peak load capability. If it can supply 80mA and can be software controlled (via some GPIO pin?) I can use it. Otherwise I'll need to find other source. If anyone has ideas on what it could be, please let me know...

As a power source, have a look at the CF ports. It should have 3.3V and maybe also 5V available.

I have developed a backlight upgrade for the HP 200LX which needed quite some current at 5V. I used the 5V source of the PCMCIA port of the 200LX and a GPIO line of the processor to control power using a software driver with hotkey (see http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/backlight/install ).

The "power switch" was in that case built into the backlight driver chip, which I could directly connect the GPIO pin to.

For the Zaurus BT project, a simple trnsistor circuit or something like that could combine a GPIO line for switching and the power source to a GPIO-controlled high-current power source.

daniel
daniel3000
QUOTE(albertr @ Jul 1 2005, 02:55 AM)
It looks like there're only  two of us on this forum who are interested in the subject sad.gif

Oh, not at all! I'm very interested in this project.
The only problem for me is that I have only one C3000 and I use it for my daily work, so I cannot risk any damage to it. So I have to wait until I have a second (backup) unit some day to make such exprtiments.

I had and still have several HP 200LX units which I did many hardware hacks on (backlight, LED front light, ear phones output, IR port shielding against EMI, memory and speed upgrades, and recently of course the idea came up to attach a bluetooth module to the serial port :-)

daniel
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Jul 1 2005, 06:55 AM)

Nope, I'm sure there are a lot of interest in it. I'll follow your's research to stick BT module in my C3000 (if it will fit in it).
speculatrix
QUOTE(Boris @ Jul 1 2005, 09:54 AM)
Nope, I'm sure there are a lot of interest in it.  I'll follow your's research to stick BT module in my C3000 (if it will fit in it).

might be harder in the C3000 - the C1000 has all the space where the microdrive would be.
albertr
The backlight mod that you did is pretty cool. Complexity-wise, adding a serial bluetooth module shouldn't be that hard. Hardware changes are minimum, it's mostly all software to get it run reliably. As far as CF slot goes, I think it's 3.3V only in C1K (860 might have both 3.3V & 5V). Regardless, it's a dedicated power domain and it's controlled by pcmcia sybsystem, i.e. power is on on insert/resume pcmcia events, power is off on remove/suspend events, so it can't be used for other purposes which require its own power control.

I'm still not sure where to draw power from. I would like to have software control over it. If nothing suitable found, I might end up pumping it from sd/mmc slot (assuming that sharp's sdmmc driver didn't turn it off when card is removed). Any other ideas?
-albertr
Da_Blitz
i am still intrested in the internal usb ports that could be used (the pxa had 3 host ports and one client that could be multiplexed with one of the host ones) however these werent balanced lines so were basically the D+ line without the D- one so some dongles may not work with it

i belive thats what the guy who did the mod connected it to. which would be great as then i could have another usb port for bluetooth, wifi or anything else i like, i do remeber him mentioning power bieng a problem but you can get that from the usb mini port
albertr
Sorry, was busy with other projects last weekend....
-albertr
daniel3000
QUOTE(albertr @ Jul 1 2005, 02:52 PM)
As far as CF slot goes, I think it's 3.3V only in C1K (860 might have both 3.3V & 5V). Regardless, it's a dedicated power domain and it's controlled by pcmcia sybsystem, i.e. power is on on insert/resume pcmcia events, power is off on remove/suspend events, so it can't be used for other purposes which require its own power control.

PCMCIA at least has two power lines: One switched by software and a permanent one. There must be a permanent one in order to detect a card insertion. If it is stong enough, it could be used to power other devices as well.

According to this: http://www.interfacebus.com/CompactFlash_M...ule_pinout.html
it should be pin 13 and pin 38 of the CF port.

In order to switch cards with software on and off, IIRC the /CE lines (card enable) are used. If they are inactive (i.e. high, they are active low), the card switches off power internally, but the lines 13 and 38 should still lead power.

I have no way to confirm that by measurements at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. At least for PCMCIA this is true and as these two interfaces have only minor differences, it should also be true for CF.

daniel
abegaza
i like the idea here, but let me get a few things straight:
1. are you guys trying to use the sharp i/o port's USB port?
2. if not, is this possible?
polito
I'm definitely interesting in what comes of all this. I wish I had the electronics know-how to be able to help and experiment. I would gladly torture my devices till I got something to work biggrin.gif

Hmm... guess I better start crackin' on learning all I can 'bout the electronics involved... I had years ago but had some $$$ problems and that went out the door... sad.gif

Good luck to you all and please keep up the good work on investigating this! biggrin.gif
2x4ever
Albertr at HPC.RU wrote:

BTW, how did you manage to trace the BTUART lines? I hope you didn't have to unsolder the CPU for that?

No i didn't smile.gif. I've found a picture of the PCB with unsoldered CPU at this link:
http://digit.que.ne.jp/visit/index.cgi?Lin...%EA%C1%FD%C0%DF.

Are you using H4 serial protocol? If so, BCSP could be helpful if you can't use uart hardware flow control. You mentioned that you can run HCI inquiry command, but what problems do you have?

Yes i'm using H4 protocol for now. I would like to use BCSP but this needs to change PS key in the module. Thats the problem because H4 link is not stable enougth to do that. I'm using USB BT dongle. So i'm was able to change CSR boot mode to UART with pskey tool from bluez project? but this tool cannot change a key numbered 191 wich controls speed and other paramteters wich are needed for BCSP to work. So i've has two choises: 1 - is to set it to H4 with hope that i can change this later throught serial interface(there is a tool from affix project that can do that), or 2 - is to set it in BCSP mode and make the module totaly unusable.

How do you control the power of BT module? Is it constantly on or software-controlled?

The power is constantly for now and is taked from Zaurus SIO PORT( there is a VCC 3,3 pin there with 200ma max current). But if i find some free gpio i'll do a software control for it throught a PNP transistor.

As far as software goes, I didn't find anything in Sharp;s 2.4.20 kernel that would indicate that BTUART lines are used for anything else. But again, C1K/C3K design is quite different, and the kernel you use is probably different too.

I will look in 2.4.20 kernel. But as for now i've found that in my C700 all BTUART line are used, including RX and TX to control internal buzzer and battery charging and this making me sad. i'm looking into Sharps asic IC now. It may have some free GPIO pins.
albertr
Thanks for sharing your experience! Now I see how you traced uart lines wink.gif
Here's a direct link to that picture: http://zaurus-ja.sourceforge.jp/images/sl-...250_removed.jpg
Whoever did that had real nerve! I wish someone do the same to C1K/C3K, cause I'm afraid that pcb layout is different. However, it might be very helpful for folks who have 7x0/860 devices.

What do you mean under "not stable"? At what baud rate? You may want to try to short flying leads, or maybe even better - shield them to avoid interference. I'm not an electric engineer, but do you have an o'scope to check the signal?

As far as CSR module programming goes, take a look at their support web site. They have all required documentation available, so you can easily modify pskeys or write your own code to do that. I wrote some piece awhile ago for Win32 and can make it available on my site, so it can be used as a sample. Just let me know...

It seems weird that TX/RX BTUART lines are used in C700. Are you sure in this? You may want to grep for relevant register addresses on the kernel source to see where it gets used.
-albertr
2x4ever
Thanks for sharing your experience! Now I see how you traced uart lines wink.gif

Yes. Exactly.

Whoever did that had real nerve! I wish someone do the same to C1K/C3K, cause I'm afraid that pcb layout is different. However, it might be very helpful for folks who have 7x0/860 devices.

You may try to trace it another way: take devmem2 utility )from for example here http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/devmem2/devmem2 - compiled for arm) and write a little scipt to trigger a necessary GPIO pins while zaurus is running and oscilloscoping a PCB around CPU.
This shoud trigger TX/RX up and down ever second (for PXA250):
# while true; do devmem2 0x40E0001C 0xC00; sleep 1; devmem2 0x40E00028 0xC00; done

What do you mean under "not stable"? At what baud rate? You may want to try to short flying leads, or maybe even better - shield them to avoid interference. I'm not an electric engineer, but do you have an o'scope to check the signal?

Dongle is configured to use CTS/RTS at 230400 speed and works a second or two after that dongle is stops sending anything. When i'm reseting dongle it continues. While it is works for hcitool it doesn't works for PSKEY utility. I'm able to read a length of the PS key but not a contained info. Now i'm soldering dongle to a FFUART to use CTS/RTS and will try to change PS keys.

It seems weird that TX/RX BTUART lines are used in C700. Are you sure in this? You may want to grep for relevant register addresses on the kernel source to see where it gets used.

I'm sure. In the picture i've provided you can see that BTRXD is going to the chip named 2149 282 JRC. Googling on this gives me the folowing datasheet http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/de/de05035.pdf. This is an amplifier for a zaurus buzzer.
While i can't trace where BTTXD goes, grepping source of the linux 2.6 kernel for zaurus gives the folowing defines wich are used in a battery charge code:
#define CORGI_GPIO_DISCHARGE_ON (42) /* Enable battery Discharge */
#define CORGI_GPIO_CHRG_UKN (43) /* Unknown Charging (Bypass Control?) */
albertr
You may try to trace it another way: take devmem2 utility )from for example here http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/devmem2/devmem2 - compiled for arm) and write a little scipt to trigger a necessary GPIO pins while zaurus is running and oscilloscoping a PCB around CPU.
This shoud trigger TX/RX up and down ever second (for PXA250):
# while true; do devmem2 0x40E0001C 0xC00; sleep 1; devmem2 0x40E00028 0xC00; done

That's a good idea in case there;s a suspected line. However, probing every line available doesn't seem to be practical unless you want to push your luck wink.gif

Dongle is configured to use CTS/RTS at 230400 speed and works a second or two after that dongle is stops sending anything. When i'm reseting dongle it continues. While it is works for hcitool it doesn't works for PSKEY utility. I'm able to read a length of the PS key but not a contained info. Now i'm soldering dongle to a FFUART to use CTS/RTS and will try to change PS keys.

Looks like a mising flow control, unless you see frame or parity errors. If that's the case, then BCSP should help.

I'm sure. In the picture i've provided you can see that BTRXD is going to the chip named 2149 282 JRC. Googling on this gives me the folowing datasheet http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/de/de05035.pdf. This is an amplifier for a zaurus buzzer.
While i can't trace where BTTXD goes, grepping source of the linux 2.6 kernel for zaurus gives the folowing defines wich are used in a battery charge code:
#define CORGI_GPIO_DISCHARGE_ON        (42) /* Enable battery Discharge */
#define CORGI_GPIO_CHRG_UKN                    (43) /* Unknown Charging (Bypass Control?) *

Interesting... Of course, they can steal GPIO pins, but what they're gonna do with data lines? And how buzzer can send any data to uart? Weird...
I'll try to take a look at 2.4.20 kernel source to see if there's any use of btuart data lines I have missed...
-albertr
2x4ever
Any of BTUART pins can be used as usualy GPIO pins. This is so called alternate GPIO function and is described in intel's datasheet. So when BTUART is disabled all its pins are working as just any other GPIO pins. And BTUART is disabled by default in kernel source.

static void __init corgi_map_io(void)
{
pxa_map_io();
iotable_init(corgi_io_desc);

#if 0
/* This enables the BTUART */
CKEN |= CKEN7_BTUART;
set_GPIO_mode(GPIO42_BTRXD_MD);
set_GPIO_mode(GPIO43_BTTXD_MD);
set_GPIO_mode(GPIO44_BTCTS_MD);
set_GPIO_mode(GPIO45_BTRTS_MD);
#endif

/* setup sleep mode values */
PWER = 0x00000002;
PFER = 0x00000000;
PRER = 0x00000002;
PGSR0 = 0x0158C000;
PGSR1 = 0x00FF0080;
PGSR2 = 0x0001C004;
PCFR |= PCFR_OPDE;
}
albertr
Ahh, right! Sorry, I completely overlooked that...

Too bad that GPIO 42 & 43 pins are used in PXA250-based clamshell Zauruses. It looks like they are *NOT* used on PXA270-based Zauruses (scoop's GPIO used instead), but tracing them might be a challenge.

-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Aug 31 2005, 08:17 PM)

Too bad that GPIO 42 & 43 pins are used in PXA250-based clamshell Zauruses. It looks like they are *NOT* used on PXA270-based Zauruses (scoop's GPIO used instead), but tracing them might be a challenge.

-albertr

I've finaly figured out for what this pins are used for - for battery charge and discharge controls and i'll try to resolder this controls to scoop if i'll find free GPIOs on it. And in the last resort i can use FFUART. It is possible to share it with bluetooth and use it as usual uart when bluetooth is disabled. The only thing that stopping me to do that is speed. FFUART's maximum speed is limited to 230400 on PXA250. By the way, i've soldered dongle to the FFUART and succesfully changed H4 to BCSP.
2x4ever
It would be interesnting to fetch a datasheer for a scoop somewhere. Maybe it have some UART. And it would be much more easy to solder to it since it doesn't have this nasty bga package. At least in C700
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ Aug 31 2005, 09:17 PM)

-albertr

what's the difference between the pxa250 (700 and 5600) and pxa255 (760,860)? This discussion is making me excited about the possibilities of squeezing a BT module inside my 860!

useful table:
http://tuxmobil.org/pda_survey_sharp.html

--- edit ---
ah, apparently the 255 has 30% lower power consumption, and a faster clock speed, and a faster bus (200 not 100 MHz).
speculatrix
http://repair4pda.org/disassembly_sharp.html
albertr
I believe the scoop is a proprientary Sharp's ASIC, so the datasheet most probably never would be published or made public.
-albertr
albertr
What about stuart? In case you don;t need SIR.
-albertr
2x4ever
ah, apparently the 255 has 30% lower power consumption, and a faster clock speed, and a faster bus (200 not 100 MHz).

This is the only difference i think. And you will suffer the same troubles which i have with my C700.
2x4ever
I believe the scoop is a proprientary Sharp's ASIC, so the datasheet most probably never would be published or made public.

Yes it is an ASIC but by EPSON: http://www.eea.epson.com/go/Prod_Admin/Cat...ays.GA_SLA50000
This is a gate array and we probably will never know what sharp has putted into it. It is a pity.

What about stuart? In case you don;t need SIR.

I'd better use FFUART since it have RTS/CTS lines. And stuart is such slow as ffuart is.
speculatrix
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 1 2005, 06:01 PM)
Yes it is an ASIC but by EPSON: http://www.eea.epson.com/go/Prod_Admin/Cat...ays.GA_SLA50000
This is a gate array and we probably will never know what sharp has putted into it. It is a pity.

not necessarily.. it depends on how the gate array is programmed. if it's programmed by Epson, then we're out of luck. If it's a field programmable array and programmed on the board, then maybe just maybe Sharp don't protect the array so it could be read out again from its firmware.

However, even if we did have the firmware file, it's a huge effort to reverse engineer the programmer's logic from it.

sigh.
2x4ever
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 1 2005, 08:18 PM)
not necessarily.. it depends on how the gate array is programmed. if it's programmed by Epson, then we're out of luck. If it's a field programmable array and programmed on the board, then maybe just maybe Sharp don't protect the array so it could be read out again from its firmware.

However, even if we did have the firmware file, it's a huge effort to reverse engineer the programmer's logic from it.

sigh.

If i'm understanding a datasheet provided by epson right than it's programmed by Epson.

I've just discovered that FFUART on my pxa250 is working very good at baud rates exceeding 230400. And that's strange because intel says allmost on every page of it's datasheet that you must not exceed this speed. Anyway i'll do more testing and if it will work stable enought than that will be a solution.
speculatrix
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 1 2005, 09:26 PM)
If i'm understanding a datasheet provided by epson right than it's programmed by Epson.

it's unlikely then that the firmware can be recovered. :-(

I've just discovered that FFUART on my pxa250 is working very good at baud rates exceeding 230400. And that's strange because intel says allmost on every page of it's datasheet that you must not exceed this speed. Anyway i'll do more testing and if it will work stable enought than that will be a solution.

I'd be concerned that this could damage the drivers in the long run, or simply cause overheating in localised hotspots on the CPU and damage it.

I presume from your comments that you've successfully connected a BT module to your SL-C700. What module did you use, and do you have photos of how you connected it?

Paul
2x4ever
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 1 2005, 09:25 PM)
I'd be concerned that this could damage the drivers in the long run, or simply cause overheating in localised hotspots on the CPU and damage it.

I don't think so. I don't think that increasing speed of a couple of transistors can cause any overheating of the CPU even in localised hotspots. A CPU core isn't located just in the air. It's contained in a package that among other things is distributing a heat over the whole CPU. And since this CPU was not made using 90 nm tehnology not even 130 nm it has a big reserve for overheating. And i've not seen any rising temp. Anyway i'm still testing.

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 1 2005, 09:25 PM)
I presume from your comments that you've successfully connected a BT module to your SL-C700. What module did you use, and do you have photos of how you connected it?

I'm using USB Bluetooth Class 1 dongle from Billionton.
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/dongle-zaurus.jpg
I'll post some more images if you want.
albertr
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 1 2005, 05:02 PM)
I'm using USB Bluetooth Class 1 dongle from Billionton.
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/dongle-zaurus.jpg
I'll post some more images if you want.

I thought that Class 1 device would eat battery faster than Class 2 because of transmit power? Also peak power load is suppoosed to be higher. Where you woud attach that huge antenna?

How fast you are able to run your ffuart? I'm getting 460800 on C1K ffuart (pxa270), but having problems @ 921600.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 1 2005, 11:03 PM)
I thought that Class 1 device would eat battery faster than Class 2 because of transmit power? Also peak power load is suppoosed to be higher.
Yes i know(My tester shows 75 ma peak power load), but i like it smile.gif

Where you woud attach that huge antenna?
I'll cut this plastic antenna cover out.

How fast you are able to run your ffuart? I'm getting 460800 on C1K ffuart (pxa270), but having problems @ 921600.

921600 is working but i've not tested it with high traffic yet.
albertr
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 1 2005, 06:31 PM)

Very interesting... I assume that's with the serial driver from Sharp's 2.4.18 kernel?
And with BCSP protocol (no hardware flow control)?
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 1 2005, 11:55 PM)

Very interesting... I assume that's with the serial driver from Sharp's 2.4.18 kernel?
-albertr

Right.
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 2 2005, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 1 2005, 11:55 PM)

-albertr

Right.

It looks very interesting. Can you write a guide how to do it? Or take a bit more pictures... I didn't understand, do you have any power control on your bluetooth now, or not?
Thanks.
Mikhail
2x4ever
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 2 2005, 12:29 AM)
It looks very interesting. Can you write a guide how to do it? Or take a bit more pictures... I didn't understand, do you have any power control on your bluetooth now, or not?
Thanks.
Mikhail

I'll write a guide when i finish. There is nothing to write about for now. I'll provide some more pictures tomorrov (4:35:40 AM here and i'm going to sleep). The only power control i have for now is cutting wires smile.gif. I still need to find free GPIO pin to do the power control .
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 2 2005, 12:40 AM)
I'll write a guide when i finish. There is nothing to write about for now. I'll provide some more pictures tomorrov (4:35:40 AM here and i'm going to sleep).

I am now... I am falling to sleep...
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 2 2005, 12:40 AM)
The only power control i have for now is cutting wires smile.gif

It's not so bad idea smile.gif If you have the antena outside - you can set a small switcher on the back.
But, by the way, is it possible to use same gpio which are used for the Zaurus syncronization cable? I don't know much about it, but I think an ability... May be, you can use this? For example, if zaurus are in connection with computer there is no ability to change bluetooth power (it can be turned on - if you have Zaurus in the connection, so, perhaps you also have a power supply pluged in), but, when you have cable unpluged you can change power on the bluetooth... You can also take power from synchronization cable...
To albert:
Why you didn't want to create in your C1000 small usb hub and use it for usual usb connection with a usb bluetooth dongle?
Mikhail
albertr
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 1 2005, 08:15 PM)
Why you didn't want to create in your C1000 small usb hub and use it for usual usb connection with a usb bluetooth dongle?

I thought about it. I even tried to wire a small 1.1 hib, but my soldering skills are not so good, so I guess I just fried it. Pity, but it didn't work out.
-albertr
2x4ever
Sh*t. My bluetooth dongle is just sudenly stopped to work today. I can't even imagine why it did this. There is no any signal on the UART and USB. It's seems that i must buy a new dongle.
albertr
Ugh... In case you will be looking for a Class 2 dongle, I have a small writeup on Billionton Class 2 dongle here: http://www.iral.com/~albertr/billionton/

-albertr
2x4ever
Sorry, Albert, i don't know why but i can't open your site. While connection is istablished serves doesn't response anything util timeout occurs.

9:05 PM: Successfully opened your link through the proxy.
2x4ever
I've bought the same billionton class 1 dongle as that which i've used before and but it's completely different inside. It is based on BlueCore3-ROM chip and doesn't have UART traced on PCB. Image follows.
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/dongles.jpg

Don't worry, i bought it a long time ago smile.gif.
albertr
Yeah, BC2-Ext are getting hard to come by, since it's older and more expensive than BC3-Rom. Manufacturers (Billionton including) using different revisions based on parts availibility and costs. That's the reason I did that writeup on Class 2 dongles from Billionton.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 2 2005, 09:12 PM)
Yeah, BC2-Ext are getting hard to come by, since it's older and more expensive than BC3-Rom. Manufacturers (Billionton including) using different revisions based on parts availibility and costs. That's the reason I did that writeup on Class 2 dongles from Billionton.
-albertr

Thank's Albert. I'll consider the information from your write up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.